Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question:

How warm should a 'warm' tire be? i'm asking because i recently installed bt016 and they seem to get less warm than the stock tires.
I can't estimate the temperature, but they feel warm to the touch after 10 miles of normal street riding.

Thanks,

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
yeah, you are not going to get a tire to optimum traction temperature on the street. Really, you are talking about a tire that is probably around 100-120* when for optimum traction, you are looking at temps near the 150-180* range if memory serves me correctly. At lesser temps the tires are grippy, but just not as grippy. Road surface also has a lot to do with traction. Street pavement is not designed with the same parameters in mind as racetrack asphalt, so expecting racetrack level performance out of a normal street may be foolishly asking too much.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,296 Posts
Different manufacturers have different compounds that react differently at different temperatures...Dunlop tires might feel real warm to the touch and have the grip of a bridgestone tire feeling "colder" but having more grip. Its all about the compound...your BT016's are an excellent tire...Love mine...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
expecting racetrack level performance out of a normal street may be foolishly asking too much.
I know that, i'm not doing on the street what i would do on the track, but now, with all the sand and salt that's out there (i'm in MD) i need all the grip I can get, and I was afraid that i would get less grip from the bt016 because they are more of a tracktire than the stock ones, thus are designed to operate a higher temps..

Anyway the tires feel very good, after just 100miles on them.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,296 Posts
yeah, you are not going to get a tire to optimum traction temperature on the street. Really, you are talking about a tire that is probably around 100-120* when for optimum traction, you are looking at temps near the 150-180* range if memory serves me correctly. At lesser temps the tires are grippy, but just not as grippy. Road surface also has a lot to do with traction. Street pavement is not designed with the same parameters in mind as racetrack asphalt, so expecting racetrack level performance out of a normal street may be foolishly asking too much.
The man knows what hes saying...:fact

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
There are other concerns as to how a tire performs as well. Some tires have multiple compounds in the same tire with the centers being harder for longer wear, the sides being softer for grip. Some tires also have a hard carcass vs a soft carcass which will change the feel of the tire. Even the profile of the tire and shape changes from manufacturer to manufacturer will have you feeling different things. The BT016 is an excellent tire, though I would recommend the 003rs over it at the cost of decreased longevity. If you are a street warrior needing a lot out of your tires, the 016 is the better choice, but you will not be getting the same grip. A little bit of food for thought though.... In the hands of the right rider, I have seen the 016 running in the advanced group on occasion and all over the intermediate group at track days. The 003rs is a little more focused toward the track and will take you well into the advanced group, but you will see less mileage out of it. Another tradeoff, the 003rs will transmit road/track feel to the rider better. This can be good at the track, but tiring and even irritating on the street.

Rest assured, the bt016 is a great tire designed to last long, heat quickly, and stick like no other road tire out there. If you are realistic about the performance parameters of the tire and your riding skill, you should get along famously with that tire. Just give them a little time to warm up.

When warming your tires, weaving side to side will not do anything. To build heat quickly, you should accel and decel very quickly many times in a row. This is a much better method of building heat.

·
R6 2006
860 Posts
bt-016 is a great street tire, no need to worry, just do do anything crazy before they warm up

·
Registered
58 Posts
after doing some research I am leaning towards the BT016's, for those of you that run them what psi do you run, front and rear, for say everyday street riding but also taking a ramp a bit hard sometimes, once warmed up of course, not that concerned about tire life, if I can get 2 seasons out of em that's fine.

·
LoL
273 Posts
dude I picked up some 016's a few weeks ago, and I love them. I'd definatly recommend them for the street (never been to the track yet) but I feel very comfortable with leaning on these tires. no problems thus far:toocool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts