Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second Gen does not have a low coolant indicator. **
Do yourself a favor. Do your bike a favor.
Next oil change, sand off the paint so your hoses don't leak.
By the time you notice that your coolant is too low, it may be too late.
The paint eventually begins to breakdown, resulting with a very, very, slow loss that will go unnoticed.

Mine had been loosing tiny amounts coolant for many months but never knew why/where since there was no evidence of a leak. I just happened to notice at an oil change that it was near the low-mark and knew to look for it thereafter. Still, got complacent about it and it ran the bottle out. With the second gen bikes, cooling system pressure operates the auto-choke, so an oddly high idle at warm start tipped me off that there might be air in the system. Found the bottle with just a small bottom in it; which is the same as empty on a cold engine. Fast forward another couple of months, parked the bike at work, hopped off and noticed a puddle underneath. It's coolant. Great because now it's easy to find. Motorcycles don't hold much. So a small leak will empty the bottle fast.

Side view.

Top view. I used my phone to look at all angles and get all the little bits. No more leak.

==========================================

**I think it's just an overheat indicator... and the coolant sensor must be buried in coolant to detect an overheat. Fortunately it appears they were smart enough to mount the sensor low(er) in the engine.

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
are you saying the hoses seal better on bare metal? Ok but you can pressurize the system when the bike is cold to see if its leaking as well. Should be a semi annual service anyways.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hoses seal well on the paint too... until that paint starts to break down... which is what happened to me.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The silicon/rubber hoses aren't brittle or stiff or dry-rotted etcetera; they're fine in my case. The paint on that spiggot was coming off.

Silicon spray lubricant helps keep rubber supple, protects, BTW. I like the Liquid Wrench brand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts