Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So read up on cutting the stock pipe on my 04 and the people who did it said they liked it and it sounded good and what not and I thought it looked a bit better than the huge bulky can, cut my pipe and its loud as hell, and well sounds good at idle but thats about it. Moron move on my part since now I think it sounds like a civic ricer on crack, and at certain rpm's the sound resonates something awful and headache followed even wearing earplugs. So it made the choice for me that I need a slip on. The guys at the local shop said the microns werent bad slip ons for the price, but after reading what you guys have said probably wont go that way. What do you guys recommend, kinda on a budget and been looking at ebay. Dont want hellishly loud either, I like my hearing. So would I be better dropping $50 on a used stocker or buying a used slip on at the $350ish range? Scorpions any good? Found a few on ebay for around $250ish shipped, one was a h/m. As the guys at the shop said budget and slip ons dont go together, and I know you get what you pay for, what do you guys think?

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
check youtube for clips and just find a deal on ebay on the one you liked. as long as its from a reputable manufacturer it shouldnt make a diff.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i've heard decent things about scorpion. in fact, i REALLY like the way they sound with the header/system i'm looking at getting one of these days when i have some money. :) (so never, probably) talk to your other rider-buddies... riders are the best place to get info.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the prob with youtube, the stock cut can sounded good on youtube, and the rider buddies I have are jackasses who dont know anything about bikes and almost kill themselves on their 08 ninja 250's. If I get any more good feedback on the scorpion cans then I will probably get one since theres a few good deals on them on ebay. The microns on youtube sound decent but with what some people were saying on these forums is there not the best quality and after a while sound terrible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the carbon fiber GYTR it sounds good kind of a deep sound. If you get a scorpion don't get a high mount my friend has one and he said it resinates in his helmet really bad. There used to be sound clips on sportrider.com had a bunch of different pipes and sounds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks for the imput so far. Talked with a couple guys at the shop and they can get me a leo vince slip on for $313, and they like them, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
U don't like Ur pipe cut down? I just done mine a week or so ago and really like it COMPARED TO STOCK I will be getting a 2 bro's stunt exhaust or a riot this fall though. How far did u cut Ur pipe down? I cut mine down 10 inches just about as far as u can. and I don't think it's know where near as loud as some alot of the after market pipes. If you sell that cut down one on ebay u could get as much out of it as a good used stock exhaust on ebay if hearing Ur motor over Ur pipe is your thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cut it down like around 9 inches. I think the first owner removed the first baffle and it sounds terrible to me, sounds great at idle but once I get going it just sounds terrible. Right now torn between deciding to go with the leo vince or yoshi rs3

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ordered the leo vince slip on, prices had gone up since the catelog so it was $370, same price as the rs3, like the way it sounded and dont see any leo's around here at all so figured it would be different.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heres what I ended up with, not from ebay, brand new $370, Leo Vince SBK slip on. Looks a lot better than the huge stock can. I was not going to recommend it to people since I had a bitch of a time with it but it sounds pretty good so I do recommend it. It came with a removable baffle in the end, and after test riding it with it in I decided I didn't pay $370 for an aftermarket exhaust and want it sounding a little better than stock. So I went to take the baffle out, bolt comes halfway out then sheers off, fu*k, so I drill the bolt out, and the baffle is wedged in there, take some needle nose vise grips and pull on it, still nothing and its leaving marks on the baffle, another day start at it again, put a bit of lube around it and put the vise grips on it again and start hitting the vise grips with a hammer, finally after hitting them about 50 times the baffle comes out. Pain in the ass and about 3 hours gone, but really like the deep sound of the pipe now, sounds great I like it, glad I got it now, wasnt glad when I had the headache of trying to get the baffle out but its good now. A bit loud but sounds great, I'm happy with it.

·
BabyPuncher
492 Posts
yeah too bad this was back in July of 08.

****ing tard.

·
i was caught f*ing my r6
969 Posts
graves...or yoshimura

1 - 15 of 15 Posts