Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i don't know what the fook is going on with my new bike. has 400 miles and the bike just started to pull forward when i hit the ignition in 1st gear. also, when i pull in the clutch and the bike is off, it's very hard to move. i just installed new levers but i don't think it has anything to do with them. they are adjusted correctly.

another thing i've noticed is that water vapor is coming from the exhaust... if you put your hand behind it, it will begin to accumulate but has no smell to it. it's also all over the tip of the exhaust and swingarm.

WTF just happened? it was riding perfectly yesterday!

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
Sounds like your clutch lever isn't adjusted correctly. You need some play in it. Move the adjustment dial so that you can put it in first and let out the clutch a little without the bike moving forward. You will get a jerk from the chain but it shouldn't move. T
Exhaust is normal. T

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
That's the only thing I can think that would cause this, unless you have done some other mods!!! T

Do a video of it!!!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just might have to. are u sure about the exhaust? it's at the point where it's dripping all over there's so much water. there's also a slightly different vibration when the clutch is pulled in when the bike's in neutral as opposed to when it's out. this is frustrating...

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
It's cold where you are correct? It's condensation. Once the bike is warmed up it will get less and less. I thought it was kinda weird that Yamaha made the exhaust tip aim up so that water can get in the can, but it should burn off while running.
Do a video, it will help out. You might just be thinking about it too much and it's nothing. T

·
R6 Pilot
783 Posts
if u look at the bottom of the slip on b4 it connects to the cat, there is a hole in it. thats for the water to run out.

·
Faster than you!
782 Posts
My friend put some pazzo levers on and he had small hands so he adjusted the lever closer. When he did that he wasnt pulling the clutch lever far enough because it was hitting the grip before fulling disengaging the clutch...so he was getting the same issue as you...(bike rolling forward in first with the clutch pulled in) We adjusted to he lever out a click or two and it fixed it.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the idea but i tested it with the lever set on the farther setting :) i'm gonna throw the stock lever back on and see what happens...

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
It's not a matter of lever position, what you need to do is crank the dial on the cable. Crank it till it doesn't engage till the lever is all the way out then dial it in.

Forgot about the hole in the bottom. Noticed that when the bike was running. T

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
farthest setting meaning it pulls in a lot farther - meaning i guarantee the clutch is completely disengaged. nevermind. i can't explain it. the positioning and tension of the lever is fine. it just pulls the bike forward only when i hit the ignition. sitting still it doesn't pull forward. also, the bike is very hard to move when it's in gear and the lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What your decribing is completely normal. The water vapor in the exhaust is caused by condensation from the rapid change in temp in the engine and exhaust pipe. The bike will try to lunge if it is in gear before you try to start it. The reason is the oil in the clutch plates create "sticktion" and are not allowing them spin freely. That is also the same reason you always will get a clunk when you engage it into 1st from neutral when its running. Automotive clutches are dry so when they are disengaged there is an actual air gap that allows the input shaft to stop turning. That being said It does not push well in gear when not running for the same reason along with the disadvantage of gear ratio. If you put the bike in 6th pull in the clutch and give it a shove it will break the oil bond and roll with ease.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool. thanks a lot. i was familiar with the oil bond i just never experienced the pull forward when starting my old bike when it was in gear. same with the condensation. just never happened to me before. thanks again :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts