Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to run distilled water and Water Wetter in my cooling system? Its a track bike so it never see's the street... But I just want to make sure things like corrosion don't become an issue.

I've heard good things about Water Wetter but I just want to make sure my cooling system won't go to crap.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i run distilled water and water wetter, never gave me a problem.
u should flush the system more regularly tho, i do it twice a season.

also remember to put antifreeze back in for the winter months.
a frozen cooling system would be an expensive fix.

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it better to just drain the entire system for the winter? Or do like you said... just replace it with coolant...

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i drain and add antifreeze, then let it warm up and mix together.
when u drain the coolant system, u dont get all of it out, and i dont want to risk having a water jacket in the engine cracking.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
I run engine Ice as it is allowed approved by some of the race orgs and it offers freeze protection. The water and water wetter is cheaper but then you have to worry about freezing temperatures.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
ya, engine ice is being allowed in most organizations now, im not sure if NESBA lets it past tech yet or not.
but i hear u can use it in CCS, so i dont see why not.

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you use engine ice... water wetter and distilled water?

basically will the water wetter and engine ice mix?

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i dont see why u would need it tho?
engine ice is similar to WW, but it still has freeze protection, i guess it has some glycol in it, not sure how much compared to OEM coolant tho.
it comes in a bottle, pre diluted w/ de ionized water, u just add it straight in the cooling system.

i run it in my KTM MX bike.

·
Registered
321 Posts
yea PG is the way to go, AMA legal, and you dont have to change it in the winter...well if your like me and u live where it gets cold :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
NEVER? needs to be changed? no fluid that u put in your bike and use at the track is good forever. id change your coolant once a season.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
NEVER? needs to be changed? no fluid that u put in your bike and use at the track is good forever. id change your coolant once a season.
read their site, it's a lifetime coolant, it doesn't go bad.

" no coolant needs to be replaced (limits of coolant life have not yet been found. Some vehicles have been tested up to 500,000 miles)."

·
clutch it up
475 Posts
So i have put 6000 miles on my bike since i have owned it and have not changed the coolant. Its currently at 10K. From what you guys are saying im guessing i should change it. What kinda damage gets done if you dont replace it?
Thanks.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
So i have put 6000 miles on my bike since i have owned it and have not changed the coolant. Its currently at 10K. From what you guys are saying im guessing i should change it. What kinda damage gets done if you dont replace it?
Thanks.
the recommended interval is 2 years or every 16k miles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts