Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading the thread on SHOE PROTECTION, and watching the youtube video on the 1st page. i decided it was time to start wearing my boots. And this was yesterday morning when i read the thread..

So for the whole day i wore my boots, wore them around the house and everything. Went on some errands on the bike with the boots, went to visit some family in my boots, as uncomfortable as they were, i started to get used to them. Of course at first shifting and breaking was alittle tricky with the boots on.

So later in the day my friends and I decided to go to hwy 9 for some mountain carving. Yesterday was the first day i EVER wore boots on hwy 9. Well luckily i did because on one of the left handers i low sided due to my lack of concentration and target fixation of the guard rail. My bike slide into the guard rail trapping my right leg between the bike and guard rail. The moment it happened i said to myself Thank God i wore my boots today ! my leg was pinched i couldn't get out, until a guy pulled over in his car, ran over to me and lifted some of the rail off me leg.

So damage to myself was pretty light due to the boots. But today i am really sore. and the spot where my leg was pinched really really hurts and is super sensitive. i cant even imagine what would have happened if i didn't wear my Alpinestar SMX PLUS boots. Probably cut my leg open. I think i went into the railing at about 40mph but who knows. Oh and those street riding SHOEs wouldnt' have helped because the railing hit my leg above the ankle. So everyone GET SOME REAL RIDING BOOTS !!!

One more thing.. my left leg the toe on the boot got smashed during the fall too.. so i would of have lost my big toe LOL..

·
Registered
313 Posts
It doesn't matter if they aren't as comfortable as some low cut indoor soccer Pumas, or they don't look cool (which we all know is the first rule of riding)...riding boots are designed for riding and now you know as many of us already do that they can and will save you eventually. Now I just wish I could get most of my friends to realize that. I'm glad everything was okay. How is the bike?

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i know someone who was wearing DC's went down only @ about 30-35 and the right peg went straight though his ankle.

heres the video of another guy wearing skate shoes (this is the video from the thread he is talking about)..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-IHiTmoUag

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Yup...them SMX +s are good ju ju! I was wearing mine when I went down this weekend as well. Given, I struck a vehicle so it was a little different than low-siding, but none the less...they did their job because somehow I smacked my left toe slider off the boot! lol I don't know if it was from hitting the SUV or the ground, but in either event...I'm glad the slider came off and not my toe!

Great post man...thanks for sharing and it sucks you went down. Keep your head in the game, man! Can't be dreamin' about them hotties you saw down in Panama City while tearin' through the twisties!

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like I'm gotta put riding boots on my to get list. I got the Icon heavy duty ones that goes up to the ankle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i told my friend to get some riding boots and he said. he'll just never go on 9.. and if he does fall he'll jump off the bike.. he's so stupid.. even after this incident he doesn't learn. and he's not even a very good rider in the first place..

but my other friend he's a little younger. he's getting into riding and i told him i wont let him ride unless he buys some riding boots first..So my friend is lookign at the sidi vertigos now.

·
I miss Cali rides :/
1,040 Posts
i went 4 wheeling about 2.5 months ago. 1st time mind you. friend who rides with me is like, "you wont need nothing but jeans, a hoody, gloves and a helmet. i wore my back protector and knee/shin guards under my pants. i was going to wear my boots but told myself, my steel toe timberlands will be good enough. i was drifting left and tried to counytersteer (1st mistake and reflex action) to stop drifting left and went down a 4.5 ft embankment at about 42 mph. got tossed headfirst into a harpacked dune, rolled and tumbled, quad hit me in the back nose first into the center of my back(prolly would be paralyzed if i hadnt worn the back protector), skipped off me and landed on all 4 wheels.
i broke my right foot from it getting twisted during my tumbling. if i had worn my boots like my first instincts told me, i prolly woulod have just got the little bit of rash on my arm. i really think i would have rather lowsided on the street. still have pain in my ankle but am back to running 3 mi/day.
WEAR UR GEAR!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
now the real question is, did you ride harder because you had on new boots? because i've seen people change their riding styles based on the gear they were wearing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would say the top are the sidi's, puma 1000, and the A* smx plus..the plastic panels that go up the side of your leg, was really what i think protected my leg and the A* are the cheapest compared to the sidi's and puma's 279.99 i think..

I am now a firm believer in riding boots and i've been preaching it all day yesterday and today to my riding buddies. LOL probably gets annoying haah

·
MY MV EATS MY R6
10,744 Posts
i got the same boots dude glad you wore them that day it could have been a lot worse i usually used to wear regular shoes but now i made myself used to wearing the boots after my first track day and im glad i wear them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ranger! Glad to hear youre Ok! My friend, Sammy Bono, and I have those same boots. We dont ride down the block with out them on. Now that I know they have actually survived a crash I feel even more safe wearing them. Wish some of my other friends would get wise to riding with more gear on!

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
anyone have any expericance with teknic boots. some guy down the street is selling some barely used and there my size, for 60 bucks. after years of DC's or DVS's, i finaly started to wear boots a few months ago (after the guy got a peg through his ankle). they are very nice heavy duty boots that go high up the shin, but thay are not made to for ridding. they may be better that low top sneaks, but i may want to move up to better protection.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
Well after reading the thread on SHOE PROTECTION, and watching the youtube video on the 1st page. i decided it was time to start wearing my boots. And this was yesterday morning when i read the thread..

So for the whole day i wore my boots, wore them around the house and everything. Went on some errands on the bike with the boots, went to visit some family in my boots, as uncomfortable as they were, i started to get used to them. Of course at first shifting and breaking was alittle tricky with the boots on.

So later in the day my friends and I decided to go to hwy 9 for some mountain carving. Yesterday was the first day i EVER wore boots on hwy 9. Well luckily i did because on one of the left handers i low sided due to my lack of concentration and target fixation of the guard rail. My bike slide into the guard rail trapping my right leg between the bike and guard rail. The moment it happened i said to myself Thank God i wore my boots today ! my leg was pinched i couldn't get out, until a guy pulled over in his car, ran over to me and lifted some of the rail off me leg.

So damage to myself was pretty light due to the boots. But today i am really sore. and the spot where my leg was pinched really really hurts and is super sensitive. i cant even imagine what would have happened if i didn't wear my Alpinestar SMX PLUS boots. Probably cut my leg open. I think i went into the railing at about 40mph but who knows. Oh and those street riding SHOEs wouldnt' have helped because the railing hit my leg above the ankle. So everyone GET SOME REAL RIDING BOOTS !!!

One more thing.. my left leg the toe on the boot got smashed during the fall too.. so i would of have lost my big toe LOL..
Wow, man! Sorry for your spill... and glad you're alright... but this is exactly why I'm a boot nazi. LOL. I can't ride ANYWHERE without my Sidis...

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts

Yea i told my friend to get some riding boots and he said. he'll just never go on 9.. and if he does fall he'll jump off the bike.. he's so stupid.. even after this incident he doesn't learn. and he's not even a very good rider in the first place..

but my other friend he's a little younger. he's getting into riding and i told him i wont let him ride unless he buys some riding boots first..So my friend is lookign at the sidi vertigos now.
Highway 9 is not the place to be riding without gear. That place kills people daily. I ride with about 30 people every weekend on 9 so if you ever want to ride with us just shoot me a PM.
Boots are a neccesity(sp :dunce:). Glad you made it alive after crashing on 9 Not many people do. If you are a new rider and need more seat time come join us!
now the real question is, did you ride harder because you had on new boots? because i've seen people change their riding styles based on the gear they were wearing.
I ride more aggressive with proper gear on. It just makes me feel safer with full leathers on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no i didnt' ride harder because i had my boots on.. i actually think it was because i wasn't paying attention.. The day before i went up on 9 and while i ride i always repeat to myself look through the turn , look through the turn.. but yesterday i think my mind wasn't into riding (i saw alot of chp and sheriffs go up 9 right before) so i kind of wanted to go home. Can't afford a ticket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think OXTARS boots are cheap. they look like they would hold up pretty well. i was thinking of buying them before i got my A*s

1 - 20 of 36 Posts