Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a new engine in my 2006 r6 and at the same time replaced the chain. Once the new chain was put on and for the first 2 weeks I checked chain slack constantly to make sure everything was ok. Not going to lie I was pretty paranoid over every detail of my finished build. Well a couple nights ago mid ride my chain came off my rear sprocket. It hasn't even been 2 months since the new chain was installed. Not to mention that I checked frequently for a forth of that time. But nonetheless my chain was so loose I slid it back onto the rear sprocket while I was on the side of the road. Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened, and more specifically if there might be any bigger issues at play? I leave for basic soon but I would really love to ride a bit more before I won't be able to for a long time. Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your rear tire and wheel move forward?...Maybe the nut loosened up?
It doesn't seem to have moved is what is messing with my head. The amount of chain slack is also extreme, as in the top of the chain is touching the chain gaurd. I dont remember exactly were the nut was set but considering they are the exact same on both sides I kinda doubt that it moved forward.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Was your chain lubricated? How many miles were put on it, in those two weeks?

One hand on each link, is there slop in joints? I've read that a lot of replacement chains break at the master link. Anything obvious there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts