Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first r6, it's a 2008 with 21,000 miles on it. I just noticed this noise coming from the clutch area. It sounds some what like a rattle, it's only wen the bike is in neutral. When I pull the clutch lever in it goes away. I took it too e dealership and they brushed it off and said it was normal. It seems like an odd "normal" sound. Has anyone else had this and if so is it normal or what was wrong with it?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Any chance you can make a video with sound of it? What you are describing sounds like it may just be the clutch cable sheath vibrating against something, and then it either gets pulled away from what it is vibrating against, or it gets pulled tight against it and stops making noise.

Total shot in the dark with that guess, though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try and make a video when I get home. It sounds like something is loose and spinning. Idk if that helps

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I will try and make a video when I get home. It sounds like something is loose and spinning. Idk if that helps
A video would definitely help. When you are saying "the clutch area", are you meaning the area where the clutch lever is, or by the engine cover on the throttle side of the bike?

Off the top of my head, I can't think what would be causing it without significant other problems being clearly noticeable, but I will take a look at some diagrams and see if I can figure out anything that may be causing it.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Sounds normal. I've heard the same noise in every r6 I've ever ridden.

But I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,241 Posts
It's normal. It's just the unloaded trans gears rattling in neutral. When you pull the clutch it disengages the trans from the engine. It is completely normal and it occurs on all bikes to varying degrees of noticability.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pk one last thing. Last night when I was riding it, when taking off from a light in first it makes this weird spud and feel when I let off the clutch

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yep, I think i hear the same noise you hear in my 07. I was worried about it too but from what i gathered it seemed normal. There's no slipping or issues shifting smoothly (least not mechanically, my skill level is a different story) so I was no longer worried about it. Also get the "Yamaha Tick" as well...bike just likes to make noises apparently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there anyone in ornage county that can just take a look at it, just so I can have some peace of mind and I have something else to compare my bike too?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,241 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts