Votes: 12 30.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Strange Dilemma!

Hi guys!

Here's the situation, i got a 2009 R6 Raven that i was only able to put 30miles (bought Late this Season) and its my first bike ever. My dad just got a Ninja 250r (2010) that he was going to use as a daily commuter to work but now has a company car so the Ninja 250r was given to me to sell.

My thoughts were to use the Ninja 250r a couple of months since i always hear people say start small and move up. I figured after abit i sell it, make profit and move up to my already paid off 2009 R6. Win-Win in my eyes. Plus i feel alot safer and confident on the 250, also i have already dropped the R6 due to grabbing a handful of front brake to quick.

So my question to you guys, would you play with the 250 till you were ready for the 600? or sell it and stick with the R6 as a first bike.

Btw the Ninja is GREEN :toocool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Would sell the 250 and get the R6, My first street bike was a ZX9 and I had no problems, but I have been riding dirtbikes since the age of 7. All that gave me was the basic concept of riding, dirt and street are nothing the same, but none the less no problems here.:flex:

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Would sell the 250 and get the R6, My first street bike was a ZX9 and I had no problems, but I have been riding dirtbikes since the age of 7. All that gave me was the basic concept of riding, dirt and street are nothing the same, but none the less no problems here.:flex:
I already own a R6. I just received a Ninja 250R so was wondering what you guys would do.

Sell the 250R or learn on it and then move to my R6.

·
Respect Krew
3,951 Posts
Read much dude? Honestly.

If you have the option of riding the 250 then go for it! They can be pretty fun bikes and you'll enjoy it. It'll get you some seat time and make it a bit easier of a transition to the R6 when you get back to riding it!

Seat time on ANY bike will make you a better rider :fact

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
i'd go with 250 first. i started out on a 250, rode for 5000 miles (took me a year) and then got an r6. i dropped the 250 like .. 5 times and havent dropped the r6 once. transition was seamless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I already own a R6. I just received a Ninja 250R so was wondering what you guys would do.

Sell the 250R or learn on it and then move to my R6.

Sell the Ninja 250, just take it easy on the r6 till you get used to it. All it takes is self control, like I said my first street bike was a ZX9, I could have killed myself if I was dumb enough, but I had self control and took it easy until I was ready to push it. Everyone is different but I never do anything on a bike unless it feels natural to me. Just because your bike will do 200mph dosent mean you have to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Strange Dilemma!

Hi guys!

Here's the situation, i got a 2009 R6 Raven that i was only able to put 30miles (bought Late this Season) and its my first bike ever. My dad just got a Ninja 250r (2010) that he was going to use as a daily commuter to work but now has a company car so the Ninja 250r was given to me to sell.

My thoughts were to use the Ninja 250r a couple of months since i always hear people say start small and move up. I figured after abit i sell it, make profit and move up to my already paid off 2009 R6. Win-Win in my eyes. Plus i feel alot safer and confident on the 250, also i have already dropped the R6 due to grabbing a handful of front brake to quick.

So my question to you guys, would you play with the 250 till you were ready for the 600? or sell it and stick with the R6 as a first bike.

Btw the Ninja is GREEN :toocool:

Well it seems to me your not fairly experienced... If I were you i would def keep the 250 and learn on it (especially if you already laid the r6 down not owning it for but 30 miles.) plus you will get more out of the 250 in the summer as prices tend to rise during season. That's just my input good luck!
:sing

·
Star gazing w/ headlights
68 Posts
i'd go with 250 first. i started out on a 250, rode for 5000 miles (took me a year) and then got an r6. i dropped the 250 like .. 5 times and havent dropped the r6 once. transition was seamless.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't say that, or knock on wood real fast! ha

·
Registered
16 Posts
Read much dude? Honestly.

If you have the option of riding the 250 then go for it! They can be pretty fun bikes and you'll enjoy it. It'll get you some seat time and make it a bit easier of a transition to the R6 when you get back to riding it!

Seat time on ANY bike will make you a better rider :fact

Yea I do, is everyone here a asshole? Because that is what I have been reading here.

·
^ Matt
5,011 Posts
250 first...
If i had to do it over again I would go that route.
Unfortunately you have already dropped the 6. Ive encountered very few people that have never dropped their first bike, its harder to get into trouble on a 250.

You already have a 250 so it would be IMO silly to not start on it.

wear your gear and be safe

·
Respect Krew
3,951 Posts
250 first...
If i had to do it over again I would go that route.
Unfortunately you have already dropped the 6. Ive encountered very few people that have never dropped their first bike, its harder to get into trouble on a 250.

You already have a 250 so it would be IMO silly to not start on it.

wear your gear and be safe
Bingo! If you already have it, ride it!

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
If you're not confident and don't have any background with bikes, go with the 250 first. Get a little seat time and then go to the 600. If you have the 250, may as well learn the bike.

I got my first R6 when I was 15.. I'm 19 now and have had another since then. Had no issues at all. If you're not dumb with the bike and just respect it, know that it's a machine and not a toy, then you should be fine if you decide to sell the 250

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
No offense to the other guys on the forum, but anyone that says you should learn on a 600 isn't giving the most sound advice. I HIGHLY recommend learning on a 250, that is what I did. Albeit, I only got 1,600 miles out of it because it was a korean POS (i'll spare you the rant), and I had to sell it because it was on life support.

Since you have nothing to lose, just start on the 250 and have fun. Its a fun bike that can keep you out of a significant amount of trouble in your early days of riding. I had a few close calls that would've ended MUCH worse if i started on an SS.

If you just can't resist the r6, take it for a spin once in a while. But at least get a few thousand solid miles out of the 250. Great resell value too.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its strange, like someone is watching over me guiding me the right way.

I will definitely put miles on the 250 and when ready i'll sell it and move to the R6. Until then the R6 will wait on stands and i'll mod it over the Summer.

I'm guessing 4-6months till i'm ready to make the jump.

Pictures of the Ninja to come...

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
I think the biggest issue with starting on a 250 is that you kinda lose some money having to buy it and sell it and then buy a 600. why waste money when you can just skip to the 600? so i think you're in a good situation that you already have a 250 to start.

otherwise why start on the 6? theres really no reason to jump to a 600 if you already got the 250. either way you're getting seat time and one is more forgiving than the other.

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Its strange, like someone is watching over me guiding me the right way. I will definitely put miles on the 250 and when ready i'll sell it and move to the R6. Until then the R6 will wait on stands and i'll mod it over the Summer.

I'm guessing 4-6months till i'm ready to make the jump.

Pictures of the Ninja to come...
It's me...your biological father:secret
PICS OF BOTH NOW :popcorn:

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
I think the biggest issue with starting on a 250 is that you kinda lose some money having to buy it and sell it and then buy a 600. why waste money when you can just skip to the 600? so i think you're in a good situation that you already have a 250 to start.

otherwise why start on the 6? theres really no reason to jump to a 600 if you already got the 250. either way you're getting seat time and one is more forgiving than the other.
My previous situation exactly. Started on a 250 to learn the right way but i lost $1k in the long run. OP is so lucky.

I wasn't going to sell my 250 so quickly (had it for 1,600 miles) but it was practically falling apart and I didn't want to wait until something REALLY went wrong and required lots of money to fix.

Now i get my r6 this weekend:jump:party

·
^ Matt
5,011 Posts

I thought that too but honestly after looking for a while *at least in my area* you can pick up a new 250 kawi*year or so old* for 2 grand any day of the week less than that if you look around. a few years older model kawi sells for around 1500 - 1600 your taking a 500 dollar loss at the worst for a few years riding... and thats assuming you dont just ride it for one season and turn around and sell it...
a few hundred bucks or so is not a waste of money by any means. its no where near as large of a deprecation as I would have guessed it would be.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts