Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I would like to say hello to all of you here and for all the help that is to come my way. I am a 5'5" 170lb 30 year old male who works as an administrator in a school district in Wisconsin. As a young teen, I rode 110 and 125cc "motor-bikes" in southeast Asia. I then decided, this year, to purchase a bike and started with a GS500F and now would like to get an R6. Being used to the GS500F, I'd prefer a more ergo friendly R6 as it would be for commuting to and from work along with maybe a few occasional rides. So which gen R6 is the most ergonomically friendly bike? I've sat and test rode on an '05 and '06 R6s and liked the '05 alot more than the '06. My question is, how comfortable are the '08 R6s? Again, for me comfort is based on riding posture, hip/leg angle, and hand/wrist pressure. Thanks guys

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Aloha.

Buy the bike you want and add risers & adjustable rearsets.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
i felt super comfy on my 09..but then again i got used to it...corbin seat and oury grips is all i had for comfort and the grips made the biggest difference for me..no matter what your wrist and lower back will huit if you do 50+ mile trips...05 if comfier than 06+...grips, comfort seat, adjustable rear sets will make the bike more enjoyable for you

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
First off, I would like to say hello to all of you here and for all the help that is to come my way. I am a 5'5" 170lb 30 year old male who works as an administrator in a school district in Wisconsin. As a young teen, I rode 110 and 125cc "motor-bikes" in southeast Asia. I then decided, this year, to purchase a bike and started with a GS500F and now would like to get an R6. Being used to the GS500F, I'd prefer a more ergo friendly R6 as it would be for commuting to and from work along with maybe a few occasional rides. So which gen R6 is the most ergonomically friendly bike? I've sat and test rode on an '05 and '06 R6s and liked the '05 alot more than the '06. My question is, how comfortable are the '08 R6s? Again, for me comfort is based on riding posture, hip/leg angle, and hand/wrist pressure. Thanks guys
the 05 r6, and the 06 R6 "S" model, are the same other than upside down forks on the 05. I would assume you meant an 06 R6 "3rd gen".. newest style? yes.. big diff and the earlier gen would be slightly more comfortable for commuting. It ALSO will have about 12-15HP MORE midrange power than the 06-07 R6 "r" model. I'm sure you can get a better price on a 2nd gen bike as well.
As stated by another poster, you can alter some things to make em slightly more comfy
The 2008+ r6 "r" (3rd gen) will fit exactly same as 06-07 3rd gen, will just have more power midrange due to variable velocity stacks. some minor changes as well to chassie and motor, but none you would notice street riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 05 r6, and the 06 R6 "S" model, are the same other than upside down forks on the 05. I would assume you meant an 06 R6 "3rd gen".. newest style? yes.. big diff and the earlier gen would be slightly more comfortable for commuting. It ALSO will have about 12-15HP MORE midrange power than the 06-07 R6 "r" model. I'm sure you can get a better price on a 2nd gen bike as well.
As stated by another poster, you can alter some things to make em slightly more comfy
The 2008+ r6 "r" (3rd gen) will fit exactly same as 06-07 3rd gen, will just have more power midrange due to variable velocity stacks. some minor changes as well to chassie and motor, but none you would notice street riding.
Sorry for the confusion. I said "05 and 06 R6s", the "s" was meant to imply plural as in 05 R6 and 06 R6 and not the 06 R6s which I know is not the same. Thanks though.

And yes, I'm just a fairly new street rider so the extra speed top end, improved handling etc that are noticeable on a track and VERY experienced riders won't be noticeable to me.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I said "05 and 06 R6s", the "s" was meant to imply plural as in 05 R6 and 06 R6 and not the 06 R6s which I know is not the same. Thanks though.

And yes, I'm just a fairly new street rider so the extra speed top end, improved handling etc that are noticeable on a track and VERY experienced riders won't be noticeable to me.
IMO the 3rd gen (both 06-07 and 08+) is a terrible street bike.

While no sportbike is particularly comfortable, the 2nd gen is a far better street bike. Better powerband, better ergos, lower seat height.

If you can, I'd keep the GS500F for your daily commute, and then buy whatever R6 you'd like for when you're just riding for "fun" (although I'm not sure what you have decent roads out in Wisconsin, sadly).

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

I fcuking hate Yamaha for keeping the same bike around and tacking an 'S' on the marketing model name. So much confusion!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a fairly new rider and new to the forum as well I have an 03 R6 and its super comfortable. I am 6'2" and 220 lbs. good for the street and can be comfortably upright. However when I get down into the bike my elbows and knees overlap by about 5 inches. Assuming some adjustable rearsets will fix this but for now its super comfortable.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I am a fairly new rider and new to the forum as well I have an 03 R6 and its super comfortable. I am 6'2" and 220 lbs. good for the street and can be comfortably upright. However when I get down into the bike my elbows and knees overlap by about 5 inches. Assuming some adjustable rearsets will fix this but for now its super comfortable.
You're just a big mofo on a sportbike. Nothing is gonna prevent your knees and elbows from getting in each other's way. (I'm 6'2" too.) Rearsets usually move the pegs up and back, which is bad for comfort, but great for keeping your toes off the deck at the track.

The adjustable ones might have a position that's roomier than the stock setup, but I would check into before you drop the coin, as it may actually make your situation worse. I've got Vortex on my '05 and used to ride with them at the lowest position, and it felt about the same as stock. I've got them up and back a bit more now so I don't have to replace toe sliders so often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts