Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally crashed my bike. Dunlop 208's suck..never get those tires. I was comin around a 15 mph turn and was goin about 25-30. I made the turn correctly going from the outside, in, then back out. I shifted my weight and hung off the bike. I didn't accelerate too much. When i felt the back tire slip i just held the throttle at that spot. And the tire still slid out from under me, makin me lowside.

I've had my tire slip before and i always regained traction by holding the throttle (not accelerating or decelerating). Was this the right choice? I heard that if you decelerate, your back tire will regain traction to quickly and will make you highside.

Anyway..i didn't get to hurt except for a few scratches. My front and rear brake levers broke but luckily most of my framesliders took all the damage.

However, I told myself that once i crashed that i would sell my bike. So i'm selling it. I'll post pictures here and maybe some of you guys could help me figure out how much to sell it for. Also, if you know any looking for a bike in northern cali, hit me up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike man. If it isn't too bad I'd just fix it keep it and take it as a leason learned and get better tires. I've had the rear slide on my more times than I'd like to admit with the stock tires. I agree they really SUCK! Anyone have any suggestions for good STICKY tires that can be used for aggressive street riding and maybe a few track days? I'm thinking about supercorsa's, or just corsas. I had Pirelli Dioblos on my SVS before it lowsided and they held up pretty good at the track, or at least slipped a lot less than this D208 F does. Granted there's more power but the slip is unacceptable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that metzler tires are good. A few buddies of mine have them and they haven't slipped yet.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya dont give it up just cause you had one thing happen. if you do that all through life youll never enjoy anything and never be able to put what you have learned from your experience to use. so get back on the bike and put some new tires and enjoy it, otherwise you purchasing a bike was one of the stupidest things you could have done. not tryin to be mean but its true.

and im glad to hear you made it out of it OK. and the fact your sliders took most of the damage is good, that way all you have to fix is the parts to make it work properly abd keep riding :cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey! dont give up!

You got your wreck out the way and now its only smooth ridding.

If you let something like this stop you from enjoying one of the BEST experiences in life then whats it worth living?

Get out there again and enjoy life! :cheers

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey man don't give up...keep your head up high and don't let one little accident hurt your ego. Learn from your mistake and make yourself a better rider than you already are.

If you ride hard, sooner or later you will go down. Just pick the bike back up and go on with your life.

·
Registered
347 Posts
sorry to heard that, stock 208 are not good race tires, they are for street. i make sure i warm my tire up before i take hard coners. if you ever get any race tire, just remeber they take a lot longer to warn up

:cheers

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
like the rest said, don't give up, the 6 is too fun to give up because of an accident. if i was you i would fix whatever is wrong and ride it again.

a word on the dunlop d208's. there are 2 current versions of them, the d208f that are not sold anywhere except on new bikes, these come stock on the R6, R1, GSX-R 600, 750, and i think on the 1000, all ZX Kawasaki models, and i am not sure on hondas, i want to say they use michlins.

the other model is the D208ZR. these are the baddest tires you can get. i know several people who use them and will not use anything else. one rides a 1996 600 katana bored to 729, stage 3 jet kit, yoshimiria(cant spell) full exhaust, race tranny gears, 2 tooth up in back and one down in front. this tire has taken everything him and i can throw at it. we have both taken 15 mph turns at 35+ mph and it holds solid all the way. the only down side is that they do not make one for the front of his bike.

if you decide to keep the bike, which i hope you do, change the tires to the d208zr, they are killer.

sounds like a product review doesnt it. but serriously dont give up cause if you do, you'll regret it later.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i beleive hondas have bridgestones battleaxes, but i think dunlop came out with another version of the 208, its called the 208RR. the rr stands for race replica, so basically it has the same tread pattern but the materials used in makin it are better. :cheers

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well i'm in no way an expert on this subject, but my buddies all agree that the stock dunlop 208's aren't exactly the best tire in the world. I have noticed a little bit of slip here and there everynow and then but i've only had my new 04 for a couple months and haven't gotten too aggressive with it, though it's been continuously more aggressive.

My buddy rides a gixxr 600 and switched to the dunlop 220's and love them, also got a budddy on a f4i who rides on the metzler's and absolutely loves them.

If i were you i wouldn't let this set you agaisnt riding. You said yourself that you were okay besides a few scrathes. I'd hop back on and enjoy the ride. In the end it's your call, but glad to hear that you are okay.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
the 03' honda CBR600RR some came with 208 dunlop. I think they are a much more different material then the ones that came with the R6. When me and my buddy go out ridding my tires are always a lot warmer than his. Its just my .02cent

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
MadChild said:
the 03' honda CBR600RR some came with 208 dunlop. I think they are a much more different material then the ones that came with the R6. When me and my buddy go out ridding my tires are always a lot warmer than his. Its just my .02cent

UMMM the 03 & 04 600RR come stock with Michelin Pilots.....I got one sittin in my garage right now, good tire....but i'd rather have some 208gp's or corsa's

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
take your wreck as a learning experience.
A bunch of seasoned riders tell me there are 2 types
of riders.
those who will go down and those who have gone down.
and I agree the stock 208s are not that great. but any tire can
slip depending on the circumstances I've never had one slip to making
me wreck but I'm not saying I wont happen.
just dont ever get to close to the edge of the road and get off in the grass
like I did. that shit sucks. I broke my right leg and the bike got all fucked up. grass makes you tumble like a rag doll.

·
Registered
281 Posts
wish i could say i ride hard enough to have a biased opinion but i can't. a buddy of mine that does ride the hell out of his tires and the street tells me that michellin pilot sports are the way to go and 208's aren't far behind

but what do i know? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I can't add more than the others have said, other than I totally agree with the phrase "there are two kinds of riders: those that HAVE gone down, and those that WILL". You got yours out early, you weren't hurt, and you seem to still have the bike in good shape. I would get things back together, and go right back to the same spot and do it again. WIN! Beat the street! Don't go through life thinking the road got the better end of the deal, you will have bad thoughts towards it.

I went down very soon after I got my bike. Twisty road, loose gravel, too high in the turn, let off the throttle and the bike stood up and went straight, but the road didn't :) I went down in grass, got damn lucky. Jumped back up, fixed a few things, and got right back on and took the turn again. I learned from that, and I now respect the road edges, the "look where you are going" and other simple techniques of riding. It made me better, I feel better, and I know I got my "down" out of the way, and I wasn't hurt, nor was the bike.

Keep the 6, get back on it, at least enough to go conquer that turn again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm...thanks for the input..and by the way..these tires are 208ZR's. I'm still not sure how it happened. The road just may have been a little slick from other tires on it or somethin. By looking at my skid mark that was 30 ft long, my back tire lost traction..then gained it..then lost it. And it did that about 3 times before finally letting lose. So what should i do in this situation? I held the constant throttle. I was hanging off to get a bigger contact patch? any suggestions besides taking the turn a lil slower next time?

·
Registered
524 Posts
yoda said:
"there are two kinds of riders: those that HAVE gone down, and those that WILL".
I've gone down three times over ten years. So maybe it should be "There are those who go down once every 3.3 years, and those who WILL." Anyways.. if you feel like you should sell your bike, I say go ahead. But realize that if you really love riding, you're going to want a bike again. Spills are going to happen when you ride and as long as you don't ride like you have a death wish, there's no reason to give up riding. You just get up, dust your self off, and get back on the horse.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
hmm...thanks for the input..and by the way..these tires are 208ZR's. I'm still not sure how it happened. The road just may have been a little slick from other tires on it or somethin. By looking at my skid mark that was 30 ft long, my back tire lost traction..then gained it..then lost it. And it did that about 3 times before finally letting lose. So what should i do in this situation? I held the constant throttle. I was hanging off to get a bigger contact patch? any suggestions besides taking the turn a lil slower next time?
Hanging off doesn't really give you a bigger contact patch. It's the same from the center to the edge.
The trick is your weight distribution, and keeping in mind a few things:
You have street tires. They aren't made for race speed cornering.
You're on a street. Oil, dirt, etc will hamper your ability to corner too fast.
Even with tons of experience, on a track, with race compund tires, you're still going down eventually.

It happens, and I can tell by your posts that you still love bikes, so trust me when I tell you... don't sell it. Learn from it and move on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts