Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down yesterday it was my first wreck. No major damage but there are some parts which need to be replaced now...

I was riding up 400 south in downtown Salt Lake, just met up with my buddies and we were planning about a 60 mile ride. This road has a fun little S curve which I have only ridden a handful of times. The s starts with a right, then immediately left and the whole thing is uphill. There are 3 lanes on each side of the road and it is divided by a 3 foot road divider. I was in the left lane followed by my buddy, and my other 2 friends were in the middle.

I start to lean into the first turn and there are several manholes round and square in this lane. I normally take the middle lane, and this suprised me. I was also riding a little faster than I should have been (first mistake). Anyway I am leaning into the first turn and run over one of the manholes. This one happens to stick up out of the ground about 1 1/2 inches. This is enough to bounce me off course. I panic, and hit the brakes (second mistake) and the bike stands up from the turn. I run into the divider, and slide against it and the bike falls on its left side. I dont actually go down, but the bike does. Pissed off, and embarrassed with my ignorance I dust myself off and stand the bike up. The check engine light is on, and the bike wont start. I push it off to the side of the road and into a nearby parking garage.

There isnt too much damage, thanks to my sliders but my bike was mint before. I stopped for a minute and checked out the damage. My left slider took the brunt of the crash, left mirror is cracked, crank case is scraped, shifter is bent sideways, and my new pazzo clutch lever has a minor scrape on it. I bend the shifter back into place and the bike starts right up with no leaks or lights on. I am very grateful that this is the extent of the damage to the bike. As for myself the left sleeve of my leather jacket is pretty beat up along with my left glove. I was wearing a leather jacket, helmet, jeans and shoes. My jeans are very scuffed along the left leg, and my knee has some rash nothing major though.

What I learned:

I need to be more careful. I am normally a very modest rider, but I got over confident and was pushing it. I had just met up with my buddies and I was very excited about the ride. It was a gorgeous day. I also learned the importance of gear. If I wasnt wearing my leather jacket I would have gone to the hospital. My left forearm would need to be reconstructed. I slid against the gritty concret barricade for a good 3 feet. I am throwing away (or selling :D ) my mesh jacket. Nothing but leather for me from now on. This accident would have been a lot worse without gear. I am glad I was wearing it. Also I think if I wouldnt have panicked and grabbed the brakes I wouldnt have gone down.

I know this was long, but I wanted to share.

Please learn from this.

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
looks like you & the bike made it out ok
sorry to hear that you went down though...it could have been worse

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
damn, sounds like the best case scenario for a effed situation! Glad you made it out alive man, ride on!

·
Registered
394 Posts
WOW!!! I'm glad you made it out safely! Thanks for the tips!

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
glad u r ok... bike seems to be ok - a few patches and it will be a beauty again

great write up

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
looks like you learnt a few very valuable lessons there.
glad to see you werent hurt, and the bike dosent look too bad either considering what you described

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Glad you made it out. These threads keep coming! :(

·
2007 R6
1,019 Posts
GEAR.....gotta have it.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was very fortunate. I heard on the news about somebody dying on a bike in that exact spot later in the day. They were heading downhill on the other side of the road and did the same thing as me. Unfortunately they were going about 80 is what the reporter said. RIP

·
12,482 Posts
I've got a lower left fairing in blue for my old '04... I bought it brand new from the dealer for $200+, but the bike was stolen before I got around to replacing it...

I *REALLY* need to get rid of it... If you want it, make me an offer.

Glad you got out of it as safe as possible.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, but my lower left is still perfect thanks to the slider. I do need the piece which holds the windscreen and lights. Sorry Im not sure what that is called. Thanks for letting me know though!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anytime your left side goes down, your clutch cover is gonna get it everytime. I cant remember where I saw online but someone makes a cover with a replaceable pad... That is incase you plan on going down again.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
My place is a block from there. Those turns are always greasy, traffic packed and patroled by motorcops. Sux

Glad you're OK. For sure a valuable lesson without much damage to you or your bike.

So come on out to Miller and play! We had a killer weekend at the races.

-D

·
Registered
320 Posts
glad your ok man, i think ill be getting a leather jacket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey CJ, per my txt, glad to hear you are good, shame about the bike, but nothing money cant fix :)

A Friend of mine saw the later accident where the guy died she thought it was me, coz apparently it was the same Limited edition color scheme. Sucks - just a reminder never to get complacent and always wear your gear.

I'll cya around

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
glad you are alright, sounds like it could have been alot worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts