Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's in? I'm rolling in Sunday late afternoon. Never been there before. I'm gonna get my ass handed to me.

What's a respectable lap time to shoot for being my first time there?

·
Bridgestone my new friend
435 Posts
I would say 1:30's is good depends on the day and the track condition but 1:35-38 for race day is a good goal

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i'll be there. representing the "get off my lawn" class (senior superbike middleweight novice). probably the c superbike and superstock, too.

this will be my first time there, so i'm not expecting much. i think my buddy said he was running 1:34 there last year and i'm about 4 seconds slower than him on our home track, so perhaps i can also get into the 1:38 range? who knows.

see you all there!

my shit looks like this:

so stop by and say hello if you see me...

s3aturnr

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
i'll be there. representing the "get off my lawn" class (senior superbike middleweight novice). probably the c superbike and superstock, too.

this will be my first time there, so i'm not expecting much. i think my buddy said he was running 1:34 there last year and i'm about 4 seconds slower than him on our home track, so perhaps i can also get into the 1:38 range? who knows.

see you all there!

my shit looks like this:

so stop by and say hello if you see me...

s3aturnr
Will do...I will be the guy wondering around looking lost. My first time racing so I have no clue what to expect. I am sure it will all be a blur :D

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do...I will be the guy wondering around looking lost. My first time racing so I have no clue what to expect. I am sure it will all be a blur :D
I have never been to Mid-Ohio, but very familiar with WERA. Feel free to stop by if you got any questions or need anything. 2 of my buddies are riding with me, and we'll all be pitted with each other. Look in my bike build thread to see what my tow rig/bike looks like.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I have never been to Mid-Ohio, but very familiar with WERA. Feel free to stop by if you got any questions or need anything. 2 of my buddies are riding with me, and we'll all be pitted with each other. Look in my bike build thread to see what my tow rig/bike looks like.
Good deal...thanks. I am registering for races that morning and still have no what I should sign up for. I wanted to get the full experience and hopefully get faster in the process. Is there a lot of time in between races? Like if I needed a tire change I would have time for that and re-safety wiring the bike?

I am arriving sunday evening to drop off the trailer.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on which races you sign up for. Some do tire changes mid day, but honestly, you need to have at least another spare rim and just swap rims out. I have two extra sets of rims - one with dedicated rains, my race tire set, and my practice set (Obviously one set is always on the bike). I'll race on a set of tires for the weekend, and use them for practices/track days later on. Maximize tire life as much as I can. It's a real pain in the ass to try and flip/change tires mid day. You have no idea how soon the tire guy can change your tire, so you never know how long your tire warmers are going to be on before your race. So if they aren't on the full hour, you can't adjust the tire pressure...because they're not quite hot, but they aren't cold. Like I said...real pain in the ass and life gets much easier with at least a spare rear rim.

Here's the TL;DR version of a race day:

7AM - Tech/registration opens up
8AM - The first practice group goes out. Practices are brief, flags go quick. LOTS of classes. Generally, all classes will go out for two rotations. Now the cool thing is, if you sign up for both a C class and a B class, you get 2x the practice. Practices are broken down into displacements only, so if you sign up for a 600 and a 750 race, you can go practice in both "600 novice" and "750 novice"

11AM - Lunch
12PM - Races start

The races are "sprints". They only last about 15 minutes, give or take. There is a LOT of down time compared to a track day, but when it's your turn, it can be hectic. Some races are back to back. Some races only give you one other class racing before you go out and race again. So by the time you come back to the pit, put on your warmers, you're at first call to go out and race again.

I have absolutely NO idea when I'm going to be rolling in, but I'm hoping to be unloaded, set up, and drinking a jack and coke before the sun sets on Sunday. I'll PM you my number, feel free to get ahold on me if you got any questions. You're more than welcome to try and pit close to us so we can help you through out the day.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Great two days of racing. It was nice to meet you both. Thanks HighSide for all the advice and tips. Wish I could have hung out more, but it felt like there wasn't much of a break during practice and race times.

Looks like I am trying to get to Grattan for the WERA round in August. So much more fun than trackdays.:D

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
it was definitely nice to meet some of the forum peeps. mid-o was a lot of fun. i never got comfortable with some parts of the track and others i really liked a lot. there's walls everywhere! got a vid posted of my very last race on tuesday. last race of the day for anyone, in fact. had a friend take a spill on the first corner and had riders scrambling to miss him while he was skidding across the track. i was able to catch and finally beat my friend as he was suffering from dead-legs even more so than me. i passed him really close so i could blow him a kiss as i went by. check the vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTRHsclEseA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kinda bummed that i didn't get to talk to you guys more. hopefully, we'll meet up again sometime and share a beer...

s3aturnr

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Nice...I stuck around to watch that race. I was on the wall on the front straight. Great view to watch the race starts and battles into turn one. :nocontrol

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
it was definitely nice to meet some of the forum peeps. mid-o was a lot of fun. i never got comfortable with some parts of the track and others i really liked a lot. there's walls everywhere! got a vid posted of my very last race on tuesday. last race of the day for anyone, in fact. had a friend take a spill on the first corner and had riders scrambling to miss him while he was skidding across the track. i was able to catch and finally beat my friend as he was suffering from dead-legs even more so than me. i passed him really close so i could blow him a kiss as i went by. check the vid;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTRHsclEseA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

kinda bummed that i didn't get to talk to you guys more. hopefully, we'll meet up again sometime and share a beer...

s3aturnr
What is the time mark on that video for you passing Jon? He was fast there last year and flipped me off on the power down the back straight. Such a candy ass.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the trip was a good one. I had one of my trailer tires blow out about 1/4 way there, but it was an easy fix with 3 mechanically inclined guys (Two friends rode with me).

Had a whopping 4 practice sessions to learn the track. Got stuck at 38's and couldn't seem to break it. Had a taste of a couple of 37's, but all in all, I can't complain for my first time every being there.

One of my races, chasing down my buddy that rode with me. I almost ass packed one of those guys on the left hander after the back straight, that messed my line up and had to slow way down and make up a BUNCH of time. Wound up catching him on the last lap anyways. :D

http://youtu.be/Pod4ePlmfKE

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
What is the time mark on that video for you passing Jon? He was fast there last year and flipped me off on the power down the back straight. Such a candy ass.
i passed him about the 6:50 mark. he was off his pace from last year (everyone seemed to be complaining that they were about 4 seconds slower than last year) and he was all worn out from 4 races and 2 restarts on tuesday. plus, he had a small water leak somewhere that caused his rear to kick out in a couple corners. i think my best time was a 1:43 flat and his was probably a 1:39. i definitely need more practice there.

Well the trip was a good one. I had one of my trailer tires blow out about 1/4 way there, but it was an easy fix with 3 mechanically inclined guys (Two friends rode with me).

Had a whopping 4 practice sessions to learn the track. Got stuck at 38's and couldn't seem to break it. Had a taste of a couple of 37's, but all in all, I can't complain for my first time every being there.

One of my races, chasing down my buddy that rode with me. I almost ass packed one of those guys on the left hander after the back straight, that messed my line up and had to slow way down and make up a BUNCH of time. Wound up catching him on the last lap anyways. :D

1:38 for your first trip there ain't too bad at all. my first practice on monday i was doing 2:02 and feeling like a lost puppy. every time i went out i went a little faster, tho...

edit: that was a great run-down in your vid! i was able to use turn 1 to pass a couple times. but i still need to drop 5 seconds to run with you...

s3aturnr

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts

Great video for me to use as a reference. Your in second gear in some places that I am in third. Make sense for the drive out of the turn. This may help get a 1:39. I ran a 1:40.5 and a ton do 41s. All in all it was a great experience. The starts killed me.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, the wrong gear will easily cause that. I missed a downshift into 2nd going into the key hole a couple times, and it was dog ass slow coming out of the corners and it added a second to the lap time. I wish I had a 44 tooth rear sprocket, I would have went 16/44 there. That would have been almost perfect. I only had a 42/43 tooth, so I ran my 15 tooth front and ran the 42 rear, which is stock gearing. It was a tad too short for my liking. I wasn't running fast enough to run 16/43.

·
Registered
384 Posts

:cheers Those red leathers are ridiculous.

Are ya'll all gonna be at VIR in a couple weeks?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts