Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Was wondering what should be done to prep for a possible rainy trackday? Would different gear be needed? I'm running Bt016 pros so my tires should be fine.
you should run a dedicated RAIN TIRE in the rain. a regular street tire, however good it may be for street riding, is simply not up to the task.

i recommend never riding on a wet track without a set of full rain tires. but, you can go see for yourself. it will either be no fun or you will land on your head...

s3aturnr

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
i'd agree, rain tires are awesome and i know i wouldn't ride on anything else on a wet track... i have ridden a set of power pure michelins on a damp/drying track and was a really good learning time , but anything near standing water i wouldn't run a street tire.

for suspension you might want to soften it up a little as well, i think.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I say just focus on making sure your riding skills are as good as they can be. Track days in the rain are perfect opportunities to really firm up your skills as everything has to be done a little bit better and smoother in the wet.

What do you guys think are the most important skills to work on in the rain?

Misti

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
^^this!! You will hang off the bike more, trying to keep it more upright than usual. Be smoothe.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
prep?

step 1: cancel day
step 2: get refund, or credit for future event
step 3: fiddle in the garage instead, drinking beer.
step 4: go to bed buzzed on beer, not pain killers from a hospital.

see? only 4 steps to prepping for a wet track day. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
throttle control, body position, and being smooth are important skills that i focus on when riding in the rain.
^^this!! You will hang off the bike more, trying to keep it more upright than usual. Be smoothe.
Agreed. Throttle control needs to be really precise and smooth and you definitely need to hang off the bike more in order to keep it more upright.

What about using the brakes?

Misti

·
Registered
220 Posts
Get the braking done in a straight line/standing up?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes, this is pretty important. You can still brake very hard in wet conditions as long as the bike is in a straight line, standing up. As soon as you try to lean the bike over with the front brake applied in the wet you are seriously testing traction limits and are likely to end up on the ground.

:D

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Haven't had a wet track day in the two years since I bought rain tires.

Just a really expensive rabbit's foot.

·
ready to race
83 Posts
I just did my first wet track day at mosport on july 5....weather sucked had only 2 semi dry sessions'.I forced my self to go out only to find out that it was a GREAT learning exp...It was a bit nerve racking for the first bit but I settled down and was surprized how well the bike leaned and handled in the wet (mich pilot tires). Mosport is a very fast track even in the rain top speeds were surprising on the straits...150-180kph. I have not ridden in rain for years but now my ( self inflicted fear ) is gone and I feel very comfortable doing it. An overall great learning experience that would recommend to all. Yea rain tires if you can afford it and like changing wheels at the track. but if your like me ...an average Joe .....good street tires will work just fine....

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
^^^ awesome, glad to hear you got out there on a rain day and made the most of your track time. I love rain riding as well cause it makes you an even better rider in the dry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts