Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The R is for Respect
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to power wheelie lately and I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I take it up to about 7k and drop the throttle for half a sec and then crack it open. I feel the front end get light and pull up but I dont think its even come off the ground. What am I doing wrong? Am I not getting on the throttle hard enough the second time around? I ride an 03.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
:nono Why not drag knee instead? :nocontrol

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
I don't know about the 03 but on my 06 if you want it to come up for sure just bring it to 10k.

I use the clutch in first so that's about all the help i have

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
i say for 'sure thing' power wheelie in first bring it up to 10 or 11k, let it fall to 7k then 'floor' it. and dont be leaning forward, try to sit up straight. sometimes it has to do with a full tank or not.
itll come up

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
That's funny, you said "floor it" when refering to a bike.

Sorry I don't have any good advice when it comes to wheelies, I don't really do them alot, so I'm not good at them. When I used to mess around more with them, I noticed that the less I paid attention to the tachometer, and the more I "listened" and "felt" the bike, the easier it was to rip it up though.

I REALLY thought it was humorous that Solerpwr said "floor it" I got a good chuckle outta that.

Good luck with your power wheelies keep it upright, and be careful.

·
The R is for Respect
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I wasn't bringing it up high enough before I dropped the throttle. I think I'm going to stay away from clutching it up for now until I get used to feeling the front end lift up.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
honestly i think clutching first is easier to control then powering it up but to each his own

·
The R is for Respect
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well I'm just afraid of looping it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
clutching it up is way easyier to learn IMO. start at a lower rpm and work your way up till it starts to lift for ya. and dont forget COVER THE REAR BRAKE!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
7k sounds too high for power wheelies. I usually take it to ~5k then goose it. But I don't really do many wheelies. But those RPMs work for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have an 04...to do a power wheelie...i just have to be going 20 mph and then i just have to give it about half throttle..to do a power wheelie in second..i go about 50-60 mph. and give it nuts, it comes up so nice in second..

·
where da shrooms at?
2,708 Posts
ive never payed attention to my rpms when i wheelie, i basically go by feel. i know that i can pick the bike up in first gear anytime, 2nd gear i have to bounce the suspension and clutch it and it comes up easy, third gear same thing but need more speed.

·
mailbox killin' werewolf
3,856 Posts
ive never payed attention to my rpms when i wheelie, i basically go by feel. i know that i can pick the bike up in first gear anytime, 2nd gear i have to bounce the suspension and clutch it and it comes up easy, third gear same thing but need more speed.
same here.

1st - clutch up anytime
2nd - bounce it up at 45-50 with no clutch
3rd - bounce it up at 75 with no clutch

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
well I'm just afraid of looping it.
loop it by clutch??its a possibility but you have a more of a chance looping by power wheelies!!and always cover that rear brake !!!start small!!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
loop it by clutch??its a possibility but you have a more of a chance looping by power wheelies!!and always cover that rear brake !!!start small!!

+1 !!!

your gonna loop it way easier doin a powpow cause ur chasin the wheelie in the bikes poer band. clutchin lets u bring it straight up to bp at a much lower rpm

·
Registered
38 Posts
I started slow by starting at 6K and let off quick to compress the front suspension and get right back on it and pop it up alittle. Now I am sitting back on the seat all the way. Get it to about 5k push on the bars and crack the throttle and pull on the bars alittle bit. IMO clutching would be easier I have not tried it but I think it would be more predictable. Just getting the feel for having the tire off the ground. Start slow right.:jacked

1 - 18 of 18 Posts