Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. Happy to finally have my first sport bike. I have here a 2002 r6 with some issues at the moment. bought it over the summer and I'm in love. The speedo doesn't work, as well as the odometer. Tried replacing the speed sensor however, nothing changed. I might have gotten the wrong one, the sensor seemed a lot shorter than the OG one. Not why im posting though. I left it outside for 3-4 days and It rained cat and dogs all the while. I started it up(with choke) after the fact and it had no issues starting right up. however, I went to the gas station and went to start and it turned over once and all electricals proceeded to die. All that sounded was the rapid clicking of the solenoid. Starts find when jumped with a battery pack however it doesn't hold a charge. Found these melted wires when looking under the tank. What do y'all make of it. Not sure what the black box even is. Id appreciate some help!

best,
Cam
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk Hood Gas

Registered
20k+ miles, ECU flash, blah, blah, blah...
That's ur rectifier (blackbox). Looks like a short of some sort. Not familiar with the 02 r6 but I'd look at replacing rectifier and stator(charging system). That would be my best 馃
Might be able to get a new rectifier but it's best to replace both rectifier and stator.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey barnes, I appreciate the input. I just ordered a new rectifier n ill see if that fixes my issues. Im going to pray that the stators in good condition. If not ill throw down the extra shekels for the stator.

Registered
Lots of problems on 02. rictifire wires shorts out check for burnt wires. Also check burt wire at stator. As for the clock , it could be a ground wire. Mine had the same problem after buying a another clock still had problem. Took to shop that worked on it and they fixed it. Would not tell me what they did though.

Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
Hey barnes, I appreciate the input. I just ordered a new rectifier n ill see if that fixes my issues. Im going to pray that the stators in good condition. If not ill throw down the extra shekels for the stator.
You can check the stator with a volt meter at the connection, you don鈥檛 have to disassemble it at all. You check resistance across all wires with eachother. If there鈥檚 no dead lines it鈥檚 good. Same with the rec. I鈥檇 recommended wiring in a R1 rec. it uses the 3 wires plus a positive and negative to the battery. They are much less prone to fail in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts