Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a 01 R6 and it has about 7k on it. The problem is that its hard to start, has a rough idle, doesn't want to rev past 10k, occasionally backfires, and seems to run hotter than normal. I allready have the tank and airbox off and rather fix it myself than be raped by the dealer.
:?: :?: :?:

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
The carbs could need to be sync'ed... at least for the idle, starting, and back firing.... Maybe even new plugs/wires/coil(s)/etc...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
spdrace11 said:
....occasionally backfires, ....
you don't like the backfire???? a guy i ride with has an 01 R1 and he purposely makes it backfire at lights cuz it's funny as shit...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
sounds like somethings dirty or clogged or broken, my 01 has 15,000miles on it and runs like clockwork.

Id probably break down and take it in, youre looking at a couple hundred dollars for them to give it a complete tune up.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
you don't like the backfire???? a guy i ride with has an 01 R1 and he purposely makes it backfire at lights cuz it's funny as shit...
You might tell your friend that if he keeps that up he will be replacing his valves.
If you are riding, and you hit the key (off), it stops burning the fuel. Give it a little gas, and turn the bike back on, and it will ignite the unused fuel in the combustion chamber. This is an EXPLOSION... lol. I've seen people shoot valves doing this.

Just a little friendly advice. :)

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
In other words....this is just like fatherly advice:

"Son, it is really fun, we did it as kids, and it is fuckin cool.....but you will run the risk of ruining something so don't do it!" hahahaha

I love that advice. Just doing it once can't hurt :hammer

j/k I seem to have enough bad luck gone good to risk it!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You're running lean. Possibly a clogged jet etc.. You need to clean your carbs, and check to make sure your not sucking air anywhere.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My bike was running similar to that, and i got my carbs cleaned and synchd. Since then its been runnin beautifully!

·
Registered
180 Posts
As long as you've got some time, and you're patient enough, pulling the carbs apart isn't a big deal. I've found that most of the time simply getting the carbs on and off the bike is more difficult than opening the carbs up themselves.

Having a manual would definetly help. Look in the "Downloads" section for one to download.

Why not try to fix it yourself, don't do anything you're not comfortable doing, but it's not going to hurt to try ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts