Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a dampner really bad, I am so sick of those small tankslappers between gears. I have had a couple that made my heart skip and scare me so bad to where I was afraid to ride hard for a couple of weeks. I really want the GPR V4 but its so new that I really haven't heard any pro's or con's of it. So if you could please help me with what you think of the V4? Or what are the pro's and con's for the dampner that you have on your R6. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
it leaks oil and the company isn't being as helpful as they used to be about it. if ur set on the V4 style of damper, go with the scotts. it has a low and high speed adjustment along with a couple other features that the V4 doesn't. i love mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
it leaks oil and the company isn't being as helpful as they used to be about it. if ur set on the V4 style of damper, go with the scotts. it has a low and high speed adjustment along with a couple other features that the V4 doesn't. i love mine.
I have heard some great things about Scotts dampers. Just some FYI though: for the '06-'07 R6's, you have to drill into your frame to mount the Scotts damper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I was thinking about getting the scott's but I didn't like the drilling part. The high & low settings would be nice, you wouldn't have to mess with it as much. The only reason the V4 caught my eye was because of the no drilling and its sleek look. Just haven't heard any reviews on them since they are so new. Thanks for your help and keep it coming!

·
Iwakuni Binjo Bomber
156 Posts
The center mount dampers are stiffer than the piston mounts.
And the drilling into the frame.... well that can comeback to haunt you so let your local shop do it so that the can foot the repair should something go wrong in the mounting process.

For day to day riding piston is the way to go. If you are aggressive and stunting the V4 will be the one for you.

I did the complete install of the Hyper Pro... I just can't bring myself to drill into my frame...
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66179&highlight=innstall

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
i have a Scotts also and i love it. the damper comes with everything you need to drill the holes properly, you can't mess up.

but one word of advise is not to over tighten the bolts to your frame since you my over torque it and strip the threads on the holes. besides that everything else is straight forward and easy to install.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i plan on gettin the ohlins shaft style. but i wanna use the graves mount kit. it goes under the igntion key and the igntion has to be removed and replaced with a switch. sounds like a pain in the ass but it looks super clean (out of the way) and i plan on useing this bike for the track only.
heres the bracket im talkinga bout http://www.gravesport.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=DMY_06R6-K

·
Iwakuni Binjo Bomber
156 Posts
yes it does give a clean hidden mounting point... but removing my key switch is not an option... unless I am building a straight up race bike.

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
i have a GPR V4 it leaks a little but oh well i like it!!i personelly dont like the idea of drilling into my frame for the scotts style!

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Would you have to drill into the frame on a '08 R6S??
Not that I know of. The S has a different mounting bracket for all of the dampers I've seen, and none of them require drilling.

·
<3 My Yami.
447 Posts
I drilled into my 08 the minute I got it home. Ordered the mount kit the week before. Like it was previously said...the drilling is idiot proof and does not hurt the bike at all. I love my scotts.

·
Iwakuni Binjo Bomber
156 Posts
Being real... just get one.:popcorn:

The R6 series should come with one off the show room floor.

They all do what they were designed to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts