Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i bought my R6 in september, and when i went home from iraq a couple weeks ago i noticed that i have mis matched tires on the bike....I have a michelin Pilot Road 2 on the back and a Bridgestone BT-016. Now should i take the front off and match it to the rear or the other way around? Or just ride it as it is?

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i was thinking the same thing

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i had pilot powers on my last bike and i loved them, when i replace these i will need something that is good performing and last a decent amount of time

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I'd match em up and get some power pures for $239 shipped from TJ.

Tires aren't very expensive, and they are the most important thing on the bike.. Riding em till they are bald is a lame idea.

And both those tires are more towards the high mileage touring tire variety.. I wouldn't want anything less sticky under me than I can afford. Pilot powers, power pures, Q2's, power ones, etc... These are track day/hi performance tires.. Fck a touring tire bro.

On my car, cooper cobras get me around great.. Would a G-Force T/A be better? YES. Is there any question about that? NO..

My .02 bro.. You aren't over there risking your life to come home and put your life in the hands of mix matched god knows how old tires..

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
They usually suggest that you match tire brands and types, but that is not a must do thing. It is just a tire after all. The real reason most suggest matching is because the tires are typically designed to work together. They have the same compounds, tread pattern and will have a specific tire pressure range for that tire set.

When you mismatch you have just that, a mismatch. Not that it will make you crash or that the bike will handle like crap. It is just that the tire will heat up differently, have different grip characteristics from one another and the ideal tire pressures will have to be looked up from two different sources.

In your case since it would seem that you are not tearing up the canyons, or the track, so you can get away with it. For a normal person putting around town, or cruising, the mismatched tires will be more than fine. Perhaps once you start dragging knee and looking for a good time at the track you may want to reconsider. Leave them as they are and don't worry. Replace them when the time is right and never look back.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
leave em till they need replacing. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts