Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys like about the R6 over the other 600's? Im more curious then anything. My reasons are the looks and the top end power when you need it. Im not a great rider so I really dont know the diff in handling as i wouldnt be able to push any bike to its limits yet.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I was real close to buying a CBR600RR. I loved that bike when they changed it up for the 05 model. But then when the R6 came out with the 06 model, I was in love! Didn't really know anything about bikes when I bought mine, but thanks to my interest in the sport and help from places like this, I've learned a lot about bikes.

So really, I bought the R6 because IMO it's the best looking bike out there

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
what i like about my r6 by Dan....
The thing i like about my r6 is that it can smoke redwood650 and paytheon.
thats all

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was nearly sold on the Ducati 800 until I found out they were pulling them from the US in 2008 (I'm still mad). :mad:

The R6 styling was definitely tops for me too, but the technology was also pretty important. As far as I know, Yamaha has the only fly-by-wire on the market. According to the shootout thread, the tech really didn't put it head and shoulders above the rest of the class but it's still a bragging right. I also have a friend at work that rides an R1 who did a lot of convincing.

Yammies aren't that common on the street either. Gixxers and CBRs are everywhere, but when someone spies an R they usually need a second look to figure it out.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Razor sharp handling, and the fact that you need to concentrate 100% when riding hard, but you are greatly rewarded when you do so :yes

My first bike was a ninja 250, so the weak low/mid range didn't bother me, i was already used to revving the piss out of my old ninja.

And it doesn't hurt that the r6 is drop dead gorgeous :boob

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The R6 styling was definitely tops for me too, but the technology was also pretty important. As far as I know, Yamaha has the only fly-by-wire on the market. According to the shootout thread, the tech really didn't put it head and shoulders above the rest of the class but it's still a bragging right. I also have a friend at work that rides an R1 who did a lot of convincing.

Yammies aren't that common on the street either. Gixxers and CBRs are everywhere, but when someone spies an R they usually need a second look to figure it out.
Yep, everything he said as well

·
Can't drag ****.
554 Posts
looks and ride height ...

im a tall guy and i felt smushed on a gxsr and a ninja

really like the cbr but it was 1000 more.

·
Registered
124 Posts
looks, and the sound of it screaming up to 16.5k!!!!

·
I like blue
52 Posts
I have had my '08 R6 since Labor Day.

I traded in my 2007 GSX-R750 for the 2008 R6.

I had my GSX-R for 10 months and put 4200 miles on it. That 10 months was also broken up by a very long winter of 4 to 5 months. So, I put those miles in about 5 to 6 months.

I really liked the GSX-R alot. Year after year it continues to get "the perfect sportbike" type honors in all types of reviews. Handling of a 600 and almost the power of a 1000. The GSX-R 750 is unique in that no one else makes a model to compete with it. So, I selected it based on the accolades.

I had two things I did not like about it though.

The steering was heavy. Towards the end of my ownership, I think I had the geometry pretty close to providing good feedback and steering with out too much body english being necessary.

The suspension was also pretty tough to come to grips with. I had the sag set for me so that helped a bit. The rebound damping had to adjusted completely out.

I know there are things I could do to make the bike handle better and have better suspension but I did not love the bike enough to want to invest more money into it to make it just right.

Yep, it is a great bike but it really didn't inspire confidence or stir the soul.

I started considering a 600 and already crossed the Suzuki and Kawasaki off my list. Which left me with the Honda and Yamaha.

The Honda is still getting great reviews. But, for me, look at the two bikes side by side and the Yamaha won me over in the looks department.

I wanted the best handling bike I could find. Suspension and brakes were the next most important thing for me. The horsepower and torque numbers came next.

I found all of these things in the 2008 YZF-R6.

I do not regret trading off my GSX-R for the R6.

In fact, I wish I would have went with the R6 to begin with. But, then it would have been the 2007 model.

On paper, the advances of the 2008 model seem significant. Either way, it has all worked out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The looks sold it for me. Especially the redesign starting in MY 2006.

Also, like someone mentioned, the fact that they're not everywhere like Hondas and Suzukis are.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
because its pure sex...

THE END

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I love how the current R6 looks, otherwise it woud be a 600RR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
at first i was looking for a 2000-2002 r1 to get me started on liter bikes but after ridding a few i tested my current 04 r6 and just loved the way it felt when i was ridding it. it seamed more manuverable then the r1. and ive always ben a yamaha guy after my veary first banshi 350 ride :) after that i knew that yamaha realy knows what there doing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I like it for the looks and I never really even considered anything else snice I have ridin Yamaha dirt bikes for a long time and always liked them.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Next to the 848,Its the best looking bike out there.Especially the 05 models:D.Next was the handleing & brakes.Performance is easily upgraded, compared to trying to improve handleing or brakes.So it didnt bother me much its not the quickest 600.

·
dodging cars on my R6
708 Posts
I went purely by looks. I love the Yamaha blue. I also like the duel headlights unlike the GSX-R and also I like having the blinkers on the fairing isntead of on the mirrors. It's also nice that it sits a little higher than others since I am about 6'1".
I would still buy a Yamaha if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I chose the R6 pretty much for its mix of aesthetics and performance, but I was very close to getting an 08 CBR and still really like the honda too.. I may even consider one next..

·
Registered
320 Posts
i really enjoy the r6 tail better than others. seams there to wide, bulky w.e you may want to call i think there just ugly. r6 just has way more looks from the design of the windscreen, tail, exhaust.

and times to on sits higher, and dual headlights. in my opinion the "hornet" design gsxr light is just flat ugly!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The fact that's it's NOT an easy bike to master. The fact that most people don't get the R6 and you won't see many on the road. The fact that when cops pull me over or chat me up at the red light, it's usually about questions on the bike. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts