Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using standard unleaded fuel I think this is RON 95, but if I go for lets say Shell Optimax this is about RON 98, will this make the bike go any better or should I just stick to normal unleaded? :idea:

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is a long shot, but judging from what i heard about cars turbo engines do not work/boost on regular octane gas (85), so they need premium gas (89-91). Also the engine knocks and chatters like its struggling to go. Then someone told me that race fuel is like 200 octane, i dont know if thats true but it makes sense. I say buy the highest octane you can it should definately help the engine out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've been using premium in mine for about 12 months & she runs pretty good.

One thing to look out for if your going to use premium instead of regular is to get you premium from a high turnover gas station. If you got to a local one that does not get very many people in using premium, the fuel you get might have been sitting in there for months(?) so there might be condensation buildups in the tanks or similar contaminents which might affect running.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys going for a ride today I'll ride till empty the fill up with premium fuel and tell you if I noticed any increase in power / smoother mid range etc. :scared

·
Registered
504 Posts
Owner's manual actually suggests you use premium fuel. I always have and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Here are some manufacturers of higher octane fuels. I myself, much like Jeffsy and JL, use premium (93/94) as per the manufacturers specs. The higher octane fuels are better at resisting detonation which makes them great for engines with a compression ratio of 12:1 (for domed pistons) or 14:1 for flat top (per Sunoco Race Gas' website for their 104 octane gas). They also have a different specific gravity to them which affects the way they burn in the combustion chamber. I'd say stick with 93/94 octane unless you've built a fire breathing dragon to put between the frame rails!

www.vpracingfuels.com
www.racegas.com
www.torcoracefuels.com

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I use Amoco Ultimate whenever I can (93octane) I have some friends who use race fuel (101-107 octane) but they ride Busas or 1000 bikes. I have heard that race gas will make a 600 ride crappy, and I have heard that it will make it ride really good. I have not tried it because it costs 3x as much as normal gas.

If anyone has tried it, let us know.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I use Amoco Ultimate whenever I can (93octane) I have some friends who use race fuel (101-107 octane) but they ride Busas or 1000 bikes. I have heard that race gas will make a 600 ride crappy, and I have heard that it will make it ride really good. I have not tried it because it costs 3x as much as normal gas.

If anyone has tried it, let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There isn't any reason that it should run "crappy." Resisting the frictional heat detination only means that it's gonna take the spark to detonate it, which is obviously what you want. Since the higher the octane the more it resists, I don't see how it could make it run worse. That doesn't seem to make sense to me. This isn't speaking from experience though.

I don't see why you would need anything above 100 unless you have some extremely high compression rate.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your right on the resisting the spark. But if the fuel s harder to ignite, and the motor does not have the compression, the right plugs, and a updated ignition, the fuel may not burn efficiently. So you could lose power over a lower octane level.

·
Registered
293 Posts
there is no reason to use gas over 100 octane on the road anyway. its not like you are racing around the roads at the limit of your bike and need all the extra power you can get.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
xr6ross said:
there is no reason to use gas over 100 octane on the road anyway. its not like you are racing around the roads at the limit of your bike and need all the extra power you can get.
Speak for yourself! I'm always racing around at the limit! Then I realize I have yet to start my bike and get it out of the garage!

But ur right. There is no need for all that over-priced gas in your bike. As DJ said, if you don't have a setup to take advatage of it, then you might as well live at the playboy mansion and be eunich! Neither situation is ideal or worthwhile if you can't do anything with it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Octane ratings are basically a measure of the fuels ability to resist detonating. Detonation before the piston reaches top dead center is knock. Our bikes have knock sensors installed, so the computer will dial back the ignition timing (and therefore horsepower) if it senses knock. So by only running enough octane to keep the bike from knocking will produce more horsepower. Yamaha has tuned the bike to make the most power with premium (92-95 octane) fuel. Running too much octane will only hurt your power output, unless of course you did some major mods or run a Power Commander that you can change the spark timing on.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I run a PCIII :twisted: , does that mean I need to tune it to get the most efficiency out of it :?: ? I mean, damn, these Power commanders are hard enough to understand, tuning would be hella hard, even with my laptop plugged n.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes you need to tune it. Good news is I have several custom maps for download. All of the maps are from the Power Commander's site. Someone has already dyno tuned and R6 with certain exhausts and posted them ont he web. If none of them match your set up, then it would be best to have the bike dyno tuned with a gas analyzer.

·
My R6... :)
9 Posts
Sorry guys, for digging up this thread...
I have the same doubt that some of you guys posted (but the options here are 95 RON or 98 RON): what fuel should I use?
The previous owner always used 98 RON gas and warned me that the bike is perfectly tunned for the best performance with this gas (he's an Yamaha mechanic). He also told me that 98 will keep the engine cleaner than 95 RON.
There is a big difference in the price and what I would like to know is if there is really a justifiable reason to keep using 98 RON gas.

Thanks and I'm sorry for my English.

·
Registered
338 Posts
just get the highest price gas. premium has all different names, like super and things like that. It is also the same as 91 I believe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts