Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new 07 R6 in a few days and want to pick out my gear before i actually get the bike. Im a newb so i dont really have any knowledge about this stuff...

So far i have decided to get a Matte Black Shoei RF-1000 helmet.

Now i am trying to pick out which gloves i want. What are some good quality, easy to use, everyday gloves (black preferably)?

And as far as jackets go, what do i look for becuase they are all pretty uncomfortable to me LOL... kinda stiff . . . any specific jackets i should look into? Is dianese worth the high price?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
all the good shits are expensive. if you have the money, why not buy it though.
i think its best if you go to a local shop and try out all the gears.
there are a lot of brands out there, which are all good too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks guys! I guess ill just try stuff on

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks! Thats what i was leaning toward for the gloves anyways... now i just gotta find a comfortable jacket. Do they break in at all, or are they always that stiff?

·
USC
552 Posts
ahhh im in ur situation. (well was)

k. start from head to toe.

helmet u have.
jacket. im getting the dainese santa monica.
dainese- they make their jackets to already have that 'broken in' feeling.
they use very very top end leather. expensive. but worth the investment.
aplinestars- probably best leathers out there, good price, good quality, good rep. i have heard NO negative comments on A*'s. i dont think they need a
break in period.

but like everyone will tell u try the stuff on.
ive tried the dainese gear on, theres a dainese shop
down by the beach. good ppl there. got my boots there.

gloves, i have Alpine stars SP-2's.
i prefer the gauntlet some dont...esp cuz socal is hawt.
i got lucky and they were trying to get rid of the 07's
so i got my Sp-2s for 50 bucks.
if i have my bike before the motorcycle show imma go there too
they have great deals.
sp-2s could use a little break in but i love that fresh leather smell.

for pants i have shift torque street jeans.
havnt gotten them yet...still shipping.

boots i have dainese bogotas
good stuff...def needa be broken in though.

hope that helps.
RF-1000 is good stuff :toocool:

if u have an extra 250 dollars (over 21) or 150 (under 21), u can take the MSF course at Mt Sac.

and once u graduate u get a 15% off ur first purchace at Cycle gear.
pretty cool :fact

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn! You must be real close to where i live (claremont) because Mt. SAC is only a few minutes away. And yes, im going to take the MSF course there as soon as i get my bike, i actually met some guy today with a new CBR that told me i should take the course because wis girlfriend teaches it! LOL I guess il take it, and its only gonna be 150 for mw cus im 19, 20 next month. . . Where is cycle gear located? and when you take the MSF course do you use your own bike or do they provide you?

·
USC
552 Posts
tight yes they provide the bike for u. some 250 night hawks and a yammie dirt bike. if ur tall. no need to bring ur bike. bring ur helmet though, i brought mine.
i dont remmeber a CBR guy though. i know theres a guy named Eric. and a black guy. lol.

i live right behind walnut high school. so yea im pretty close.
but since im 18 i dont know if i can get financed. but we will see.
but i already have my license etc. im ready.
i go to school in rancho cucamonga.

its gonna be hot so when they ask u when u want to ride
take the night class...if u ride during the day ull feel it.
badly. lol.

the cycle gear closes to us is in fullerton about a 15 min drive from sac.
been there. buncha teens working...so i recommend knowing what u want and why etc.
they can answer ur questions but...id rather trust the ppl on this forum haha.

u wont fail, everyone passes. and have fun!
jus remember to pay attention to instructions lol. :sing

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, thanks a lot! i thought you had to use your own bike, but since now i know they provide it, i can sign up already!

·
USC
552 Posts
yup np. maybe when we both got our bikes we can go riding :nocontrol

pretty cool since were both local too.
tehre used to be an in n out meet (the village, up on grand) that was posted on this forum
i think its dead now thuogh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I rock a first gear blue leather jacket for when its colder and an Icon team merc jacket when it is warm, the textile is nice for when it is above 70. As for gloves i like the full length gloves. Shift supersport gloves. They have nice protection and don't look bad. cheep if you can find them on sale but normally they are about $80.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
holy............
+1000000000

Here is the deal. Before you even hop on a bike go take the safety course it could possibly save your life and definitely increases your chances of keeping your bike upright and keep you from hurting yourself or others.

Second of all there are much better bikes to build skills on and learn to really ride than a super sport 600 bike. The other bikes things happen at a slower pace and let you develop the skills needed to handle a super sport 600 machine.

These super sport 600 bikes are not very forgiving and things can happen in a hurry when you have not developed your reactions and the controls are not natural to you bad things can happen before you even know that you are in trouble.

As far as gear goes have you tried on helmets? How a helmet fits you is way more important than how the helmet looks. Different brands of helmets fit differently. My head fits the shoei very nicely but I can't wear Arai because the fit is not correct.

The best idea is to go to a cycle gear or a store similar to that and figure out what size fits you in the different brands of gear. Because there is major differences in the way that the different manufacturers cut there jackets, suits and gloves.

Brands to look at Alpinestar, Joe Rocket, Dianese, Komodo, Sidi, Teknic.

Avoid: Icon gear it does not hold up over time or crash well and avoid field shear as their seams rip even in a mild get off.

Also before you get your bike get your M Class and check with your insurance company and get a quote on insurance so you are not in sticker shock on how much it is going to cost to be properly insured.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now THERES some good advice! thanks, i will look into those brands and see if they will throw anything in with the bike

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have SMX-2 Air Carbons (Alpine Stars)

I like them. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Signed up for the MSF course next Mon/Tues/Wed!! and im gettin the bike FRIDAY! 07 charcoal R6 . . . Il post pics when i get it . . . Their givin it to me for $9000 OTD with gloves included and discounts on any other riding gear, is this a good deal for socal?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Signed up for the MSF course next Mon/Tues/Wed!! and im gettin the bike FRIDAY! 07 charcoal R6 . . . Il post pics when i get it . . . Their givin it to me for $9000 OTD with gloves included and discounts on any other riding gear, is this a good deal for socal?
I'm not sure on SoCal, but here (Oklahoma) and neighboring states the average price OTD is 8k-8.5k. You should try to get them to throw in a Fender Eliminator Kit. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New qestion fellas!

Ive noticed that the A*'s SP-2 gloves are really popular on these forums. Do most people use them for street riding or more just for the track? Because they are throwing in a pair with my bike and i was just checking if they are very practical for street riding.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts