Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I figured I'd ask as I am now looking at changing mine for the track. As of right now I'm on a completely stock setup. I know the -1/+2 is always a favorite but wanted to see what some of the track junkies have. Be it: Stock, -1/0, -1/+1, -1/+2 Ect......

So what do you run and why?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
It's going to depend on the track. Ideally I think you'd want gearing so that you're just hitting redline in your top gear at the end of the longest straight... which is also going to depend on how fast you are in the turns leading up to said straight.

I'm still kind of a track n00b though, so maybe some more experienced people will be able to chime in with more concrete advice. For what it's worth, my mechanic (an extremely experienced road racer) recommended I go -1/+2 when I told him I was going to start hitting the track.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's going to depend on the track. Ideally I think you'd want gearing so that you're just hitting redline in your top gear at the end of the longest straight... which is also going to depend on how fast you are in the turns leading up to said straight.

I'm still kind of a track n00b though, so maybe some more experienced people will be able to chime in with more concrete advice. For what it's worth, my mechanic (an extremely experienced road racer) recommended I go -1/+2 when I told him I was going to start hitting the track.
Yeah I know that the type of track is going to make a difference on what gearing I should go with. As of the two that I run they are both completely different. One is a very fast course with more sweeping turns and one is a bit more on the technical side. So I'm looking for a good middle ground because I cann't afford to change it every month for the different tracks.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
I am -1/0, but I would probably go -1/+2 if I wasn't still riding it on the street, the tracks I go to don't have very long straights but with -1/0 i can't quite redline in 5th. The one doesn't really have a real slow area either so I pretty much just use 3rd, 4th and 5th.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I run 16/45 or 16/46 in a Renthal 520 setup for Miller depending on the track configuration. I didn't think much of the 15/47 for track use.

As a test, last year I spent a weekend dropping rear sprockets a tooth a session to trick me into increasing corner speed. It was kind of fun. :D

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
I am -1/0, but I would probably go -1/+2 if I wasn't still riding it on the street, the tracks I go to don't have very long straights but with -1/0 i can't quite redline in 5th. The one doesn't really have a real slow area either so I pretty much just use 3rd, 4th and 5th.
this... my "double duty" bike was -1/+2 and was NICE. then i bought this track-only 07 and it's only -1/0. and VERY noticable on corner exit. like i need to be down a whole gear. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went -1 +3, bike tops out at about 148, wich is way plenty, and the amount of accel in the bottom end made a huge difference. my old r6 was -1 +2 and I liked it so went one more and I think its great

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went with a -1 front and grabbed a +2 and 0 for the rear. I'm going to try them both out at each track and see what pro's and con's I get. The one track the -1/0 might be better as there are only two slow turns and the rest are long sweepers that you can really carry some speed through. T1 alone I enter the turn at around 75-85(depends on traffic and conditions) and just tap the front brakes to settle the front end and then on the gas, as a said a fast turn track (2 mile course and best lap is 1:07s) . The -1/+2 we’ll see how it goes and it might work better for the other tracks. Also the track selection looks like its going to grow a little too 4-5 tracks instead of the 2 so this will give me some more options. Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

peak hp is not at redline. you want setup your gearing so that for the longest straightway you begin braking just after you pass your peak hp mark. requires you get dyno'd to see your own bike's numbers.

i have -1/0 up front and 0/+1/+2/+3 gearing in back.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
peak hp is not at redline. you want setup your gearing so that for the longest straightway you begin braking just after you pass your peak hp mark. requires you get dyno'd to see your own bike's numbers.

how the big boys do it on the club level. at least around here. :fact

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
how the big boys do it on the club level. at least around here. :fact
i have two chains at 114 and 116 links (or maybe 116 and 118, I don't remember) as well to allow for the different gearing.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

:bow

That makes tremendous sense. Thanks for dropping the knowledge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts