Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
My R6 ate me
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been on the track 2 times now and im considering intermidate the next time out but im not sure if its the right thing to do...both times i was one of the faster riders this last time a barber i found my self waiting on slower trapffic 75 percent of the time. How do i know when its time to move up. Do i need more time learning with slower people. Or do i step it up with fast riders and learn there?

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,764 Posts
Sign up for beginner, ask an instructor/CR to follow you and see if you're ready. Moving up isn't all about speed. Level 1 (beginner/novice) is for people who don't know the lines and are unpredictable. Moving up to a more advanced group means you have to be more predictable than those in the group below you. Same applies for advanced/expert

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Sign up for beginner, ask an instructor/CR to follow you and see if you're ready. Moving up isn't all about speed. Level 1 (beginner/novice) is for people who don't know the lines and are unpredictable. Moving up to a more advanced group means you have to be more predictable than those in the group below you. Same applies for advanced/expert
:werd

Get and work with the CR's.

When you see people in Intermediate that should be in beginner, you'll start to see problems. There was a guy on my first TD that chose to bump down to Novice from Intermediate because he said there were too many inexperienced people out there and he didn't feel safe. He was pretty fast too.

As far as learning, get with the CR's. Learn your lines! You can bring your speed up, and alter your BP, but learning the fastest and safest way around the track is very important.

What track you running?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Intermediate is a shit show.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
it really is... people start worrying about going fast more than they worry about clean/tight lines and smooth throttle control. it's actually the most dangerous level there is. :fact

OP... start back in beginner, and get one of the control riders or instructors to follow you and make the call on whether you should bump up or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts

that is so true, I was set up next to a guy in the paddock, with slicks on his bike, and I assumed he was going to be fast, but after viewing my trackday video I saw that I had passed him like he was standing still on my way to T5 at Barber and by T6 he was nowhere in sight ,(rear view camera mount), so yeah, I group can be for the novice that think there are faster then they really are.

It would be best to stay in novice, but try go out ahead of the pack, and most likely you won't run into much traffic to slow you down. Oh and like the others said, do some laps with a CR

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
that is so true, I was set up next to a guy in the paddock, with slicks on his bike, and I assumed he was going to be fast, but after viewing my trackday video I saw that I had passed him like he was standing still on my way to T5 at Barber and by T6 he was nowhere in sight ,(rear view camera mount), so yeah, I group can be for the novice that think there are faster then they really are.

It would be best to stay in novice, but try go out ahead of the pack, and most likely you won't run into much traffic to slow you down. Oh and like the others said, do some laps with a CR
exactly. With STT, you'll see alot of people in intermediate who shouldn't be there. it's very dangerous. If you do Barber with STT again, get with Brett aka Seca. He's a coach in novice group who rides an R1. Tell him you want to play and ride with him and I guarantee you will have a good time. he'll def teach you more and show you how to navigate the traffic safely and still put in good lap times

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a question........how are people who dont belong in intermediate class in it? Are there organizations out there that let you decide what group to sign up in? I figured each org would start people in beginner groups ( unless you can provide realistic proof that you ride in higher groups with other orgs ) and that only way you can move up is a bump from a CR / riding coach.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I have a question........how are people who dont belong in intermediate class in it? Are there organizations out there that let you decide what group to sign up in? I figured each org would start people in beginner groups ( unless you can provide realistic proof that you ride in higher groups with other orgs ) and that only way you can move up is a bump from a CR / riding coach.
Around here you sign up for what you want. If a CR is out there and sees you are in the wrong group they may say something to you.

This is why the intermediate groups seems like a cluster F to me...people that are too slow move up too fast and people that feel they are not ready for the race group stick around.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
With STT, they let you pick the group. Then CR's will monitor on the track to make sure people aren't too out of place. Not always so thorough though and you get some people who can't hold a line in Int group and people who aren't fast enough in Adv group. Although, speed isn't always a factor in Adv, but you shouldn't be going at Beg pace on a 600. I've seen 250s and SV's in Adv that were really moving. Just slow on the straights. I still like riding with them. For the most part people are honest with themselves but you get a few self-proclaimed fast guys now and then. And if they believe you should be in a different group, they will usually tell you to sign up next time for a higher group or bump you if there is room. It will also go the other way as well

·
WTF?
73 Posts
You can technically pick your class but Advanced is invite only with NESBA. I was under the impression, that within that organization at least, most people respected the system and started at the bottom and waited for their bump.

I was lapping riders my first time out but want to stay in the bottom rung for a bit since my line choice leaves much to be desired. It's about more than speed for sure.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Slow/Green = "How do I drag knee?"
Intermediate/Yellow = "Look! I scuffed my knee slider!"
Pro/Red = "Look! I scuffed my elbow slider!"

The above is a slightly exaggerated breakdown. Usually groups will sort you after the first few sessions. Some won't and will only consider it if asked, some won't at all because all groups are fully booked UNLESS you're a danger to yourself and other riders.

Ask an on-track instructor (there should be a few around) for opinions. Best way to learn about braking/turn in points is to ride with the people in the next class up, as long as you don't get caught up in yourself and make a mistake due to over-riding.

·
Premium Member
17,970 Posts
That's a mess if they let you choose. My org will put you in a group, if during sign up you choose the wrong one they will correct it.

Can't imagine everyone that thinks they are fast picking the groups, things will get ugly quick before a CR can even see them

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
That's a mess if they let you choose. My org will put you in a group, if during sign up you choose the wrong one they will correct it.

Can't imagine everyone that thinks they are fast picking the groups, things will get ugly quick before a CR can even see them
It's not really that bad. They are not afraid to bump you down or up depending on how you are running. I was a big puss about signing up in "A" one weekend after the first session I was talked to and bumped up. Told me I couldn't ride in "I" there any more. This was at Little Tally.

It is actually nice unlike Nesba, who has me in their damn Beginner group. That's why I'm kinda not wanting to ride with them. I made the mistake of signing up as Beginner when I made a nesba account to demo ride! :thumbdown

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Slow/Green = "How do I drag knee?"
Intermediate/Yellow = "Look! I scuffed my knee slider!"
Pro/Red = "Look! I scuffed my elbow slider!"

The above is a slightly exaggerated breakdown. Usually groups will sort you after the first few sessions. Some won't and will only consider it if asked, some won't at all because all groups are fully booked UNLESS you're a danger to yourself and other riders.

Ask an on-track instructor (there should be a few around) for opinions. Best way to learn about braking/turn in points is to ride with the people in the next class up, as long as you don't get caught up in yourself and make a mistake due to over-riding.
I think pro/red is more like "I don't mind passing close, and I don't mind being passed close." And be predictable, run consistent, good, lines. :fact

exactly. With STT, you'll see alot of people in intermediate who shouldn't be there. it's very dangerous. If you do Barber with STT again, get with Brett aka Seca. He's a coach in novice group who rides an R1. Tell him you want to play and ride with him and I guarantee you will have a good time. he'll def teach you more and show you how to navigate the traffic safely and still put in good lap times
He doesn't coach novice anymore. However, hook up with him and he'll go out in Novice group with people if they ask him to. Derrick too... both awesome dudes when it comes to helping you out.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,745 Posts
It's not really that bad. They are not afraid to bump you down or up depending on how you are running. I was a big puss about signing up in "A" one weekend after the first session I was talked to and bumped up. Told me I couldn't ride in "I" there any more. This was at Little Tally.

It is actually nice unlike Nesba, who has me in their damn Beginner group. That's why I'm kinda not wanting to ride with them. I made the mistake of signing up as Beginner when I made a nesba account to demo ride! :thumbdown
:fact Nesba I group is my local orgs A group :laugh

I think pro/red is more like "I don't mind passing close, and I don't mind being passed close." And be predictable, run consistent, good, lines. :fact
:fact :fact What pisses me off the most about I is that NO ONE knows where/how to brake. I like to run a little deeper than most people would care too. When you have 1000' to the next turn, stay on the damn throttle! :rant

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,250 Posts
you need a Race lic to sign up for advanced/expert with my local org.
There are a couple of organizations that do that, and I really respect it. It means at the least, everyone has been to a race school and has been taught the same information.

The organizations I've run with that allow anyone to sign up for any group are typically filled with more red flags in advanced than any other group. More reason for me to stay in "I" and enjoy myself. I need to have a good time every time I go to the track, more than saying I ran with the fast group.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts