Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever wondered, what happens to the older bikes? If you look at any For Sale listings, it is very rare to see a sport bike listed that is more than 10 years old. There are plenty of Harleys but not sport bikes. What happens to them? Do people just keep them and don't want to get rid of them, or they normally don't make it so long?

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
whatchu talkin bout willis...i see them on craigslist all the time...it's just that back in the days..sports bikes wern't that popular till the kawasaki ninja's came out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, maybe I was misunderstood. They are there, BUT there are not that many of them. They are pretty rare

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
Not to mention the fact that sport bikes evolve very rapidly as compared to cruisers in the looks and performance departments.

I often reflect on my first motorcycle when I turned 18 which was a '98 CBR F3. At the time, the bike was absolutely beautiful. However, reflecting on the looks now, I feel that it's terribly ugly.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I noticed that its not age as much as it is mileage. Its rare to see a bike with 50k-75k miles for sale, not because they can't run that long, but usually because they get wrecked long before that. The ones with high mileage that don't get wrecked, have owners who love their bikes way too much to ever sell them.

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
whatchu talkin bout willis...i see them on craigslist all the time...it's just that back in the days..sports bikes wern't that popular till the kawasaki ninja's came out.
Agreed. I've seen a handful of late 80's early 90's bikes. It's funny, they really don't look that different.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
My "just in case my R6 is in pieces in the garage" bike is a 96 ZZR 600. It's got 95,000km on it, of which 60,000km are mine. The bike runs like it's new - engine is smooth, exhaust is crisp - carbs we just cleaned for the season so response is on point. Just depends on how you take care of it.
Should consider though - a lot of bikes from the states get exported when they're about 6-8 years old. My ZZR is a UK import to Bulgaria. 90% of the second hand bikes here come from either Italy, Germany or the US, and are usually sold here when insurance "totals" them and some companies buy them in bulk, repair them and export them.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sold my 99 zx-6r ninja on craigslist almost two years ago. Had over 28,000 miles and still in good shape. One major difference is weight, my 99 was a beast compared to my 07 R6 in the weight department.

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
16 year olds buy them for cheap and think theyll fix them to ride....then they take apart the carbs when they have no idea what theyr doing and screw them up, they sit for a few months then get thrown in the woods/cut up/parted out/taken to the dump cuz theyll never sell.........fact is that you can get an 00-01-even 02 bike so cheap, why would you want to buy a 91 lego bike? they just dont sell so most people dont try

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
They end up on CL in MO listed under "hot crotch rocket" with an attached picture of said bike, sans fairings, in front of an old goat.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
They all get crashed. Eventually the original owner wants something newer (this is assuming the original owner didn't crash it). If it is really clean and well taken care of the 2nd owner probably cares well for it. But eventually because of age it gets sold to someone who totals it.
My friend just sold his 2004 CBR1000, 20k miles, like new condition, rare to see something 14 years old and that clean for sale.

·
Ore wa Gandamu da
360 Posts
ok, maybe I was misunderstood. They are there, BUT there are not that many of them. They are pretty rare
People sell or trade up sport bikes alot more often than cars or other vehicles. Especially with the models being redesigned and/or updated every 2-3 years on average.

Older bikes are usually kept by people who don't feel the need to have the latest and greatest and truly are satisfied with the bike they have. The late models get bought and sold all day long.

·
GONE RIDING ONCE AGAIN
398 Posts
i have one of my old bikes on a stand in my garage with lights on it

1977 Z R 1 Sky Blue in color it has about 7500 miles on her..

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
I see more older sport bikes then new on craigslist around here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts