Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You keep riding!
This happened last weekend at reno fernley raceway...my second trackday

i went three sessions. third session, first lap, 11th corner (i think). doing between 45-50, left hand turn, knee down. i feel my back end slide. i stay on the throttle, apparently not enough bike goes completely sideways, then LAUNCHES me into the air.
i had a teknic suit, icon helmet, held phantoms, and sidi boots. all my gear is messed up, and the suits kinda lame. it wore right through that stretchy stuff, and i have some road rash. i slid for a while.

pay attention to the pictures. for the record...i didnt miss a session. got my bike, road it back, looked it over, and went out the very next session.. at the end of the night, my left foot was killing me, and i couldnt walk. my right toe nail is bruised to the max

i really recommend the held phantoms. i crashed HARD and they held up great. sidi boots were alright...both of the ankle sliders are ground down..my feet were still killing me though...but if i were wearing shoes, im sure my ankle and foot would be down to the bone and broken
teknic suit worked...sorta..my fault for having one that doesnt fit right

and those are shogun no cut sliders...worked awesome.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
nice dude...no damages taht i can see on to your bike!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice dude...no damages taht i can see on to your bike!
look at the pictures closely again...
right side upper fairing, slider, exhaust, foot peg, and that blue tape is holding my lower tail section..the tabs broke...also my brake lever is bent downward now lol

·
Livin in Paradise
994 Posts
I like the duct tape patch on your suit, and hell yeah on getting back on and finishing the sessions, that took balls.

·
Mezz
3,776 Posts
Wish there were some action crash shots...bike doesn't look bad at all for a highside...usually those end in fireballs for '06 and '07's

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish there were some action crash shots...bike doesn't look bad at all for a highside...usually those end in fireballs for '06 and '07's
i knowww!!! there was another guy on the same year/color r6 right behind me that saw the entire thing...afterwards he told me he almost hit my bike...lol a member here??

the gas tank did get dented and slid...but thankfully not for too long...

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
looks like you came out clean! Wish you were going to make it out with us this weekend!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like you came out clean! Wish you were going to make it out with us this weekend!
i might be out there sunday...im just not sure yet....rfr is such a sketchy track...bumps everywhere...i liked thunderhill more

what group do you ride in?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
Yeah, but just think how you will OWN THILL once you can master one great course with inperfections...

I will be there both days riding in B

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
look at the pictures closely again...
right side upper fairing, slider, exhaust, foot peg, and that blue tape is holding my lower tail section..the tabs broke...also my brake lever is bent downward now lol
Excellent pics bro, I'm glad you AND your bike made it out ok, I've seen some nasty high sides...

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
Ride with us on sept 8th... your chance to ride and compete with us.
theres about 5 of us if not more from here that is going.
ummm ya so think about it...i wanna do a fernly track, looks hella cool!!

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
man oh man

prop's to you. glad the bike came out ok.

what tires are you using? if you have a recollection of what happened, what did you do to high side the bike?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ride with us on sept 8th... your chance to ride and compete with us.
theres about 5 of us if not more from here that is going.
ummm ya so think about it...i wanna do a fernly track, looks hella cool!!
ill be there

man oh man

prop's to you. glad the bike came out ok.

what tires are you using? if you have a recollection of what happened, what did you do to high side the bike?
using the normal pilot powers...and i have no idea why i crashed...

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
ill be there

using the normal pilot powers...and i have no idea why i crashed...
then how are you supposed to analzye it and help prevent it in the future?

if it was the rear that slide, that means you were on the gas. at what point were you in the turn? had you hit the apex yet? but then why would you be on the gas before the apex?

just trying to help you figure out what happened. Coming to conclusions for reason's you crash is one of the best things you can do to avoid it later.

if you go down and just say "i dunno" or blame it on something else (i dont think tires are an issue here), you aren't going to save yourself next time.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
then how are you supposed to analzye it and help prevent it in the future?

if it was the rear that slide, that means you were on the gas. at what point were you in the turn? had you hit the apex yet? but then why would you be on the gas before the apex?

just trying to help you figure out what happened. Coming to conclusions for reason's you crash is one of the best things you can do to avoid it later.

if you go down and just say "i dunno" or blame it on something else (i dont think tires are an issue here), you aren't going to save yourself next time.
are you not supposed to be??? i usually stay steady throttle through the turn (barely accelerating), then hit it after the apex. it happened before, or right after the apex..im not sure
it was the rear that slid...all i know, is before i knew it, the bike got sideways, then caught, and i tried to stay on the gas

tires shouldnt be a problem...pilot powers with one trackday on them...rear was 30psi and front was 31psi. it WAS the first lap, but like the 11th turn...the tires should be plenty warmed up by then...

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
you shouldn't really be on the gas before the turn apex, you should be on the brakes until the apex, and once you hit it, start standing the bike up and get on the gas (ideally)

its hard to tell what happened, do you know any more details about it? where was your body? on top of the bike or on the inside? i don't suspect anything has to do with your arms on the bars unless you felt it thwack once or twice then transfer to the rear.

being a bumpy track it might be something as simple as you hitting a bump, and when the rear tire hit it it jumped it a bit, just enought to make the contact patch small enough to lose grip and spin. how much rebound do you have in the rear?

got any pictures of your tires? We most likely can tell if you need more or less rebound from the way the rubber looks. if you do have too much rebound it can cause your bike to bounce (pogo) when hitting rough road surfaces.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I might have to hit up T-hill on 9/8... FRESHLY PAVED TRACK.... It needs it, especially at the bottom of 5a...I hate that nasty bump.

And hey, I went out to T-hill and almost chucked it (7/7) coming out of 13 straight on the gas. I had a better line and drive out of 11 and 12 and picked up a gear between 12 and 13 and was straight mashing around 13 when I hit the tar snake leaned over and WAY up in the rpms of 3rd gear....SPINDERELLA was my Name-o. Straight up to the rev limiter, bounced off the limiter (but stayed in the gas to the lock) as I started to go sideways. tire lit up again and back to the limiter it went, tossing my ass onto the tank. thankfully I saved it, but needless to say, that was the point at which I slowed it down. It was like 110 degrees out there that day and tires were straight greasy. The side of the tire that spun looked like it was brand new, smooth and glassy...the other side, well, it was normal for a t-hill right side of the back tire. Either way, I puckered BIG TIME!!!! Dave Moss' girl was right behind me and I am pretty sure that after that even she needed fresh underwear...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts