Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just read a forum and they mentioned speed shifting a few times. from what I gater its just pushing the shift lever to shift without the clutch. But how dose that work and should it be done? :confused: They also said something about a clutch that came in the 06+ gsxr that is made to do it.

anyway any help would be awesome. (keep in mind im still a noob rider)

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Yes. Shifting without the clutch. And yes, its fine. But DO NOT down shift without the clutch. That is bad mmmkay. Clutchless shifting is used at the track. It takes a little practice. It is not neccessary for the street.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
The 06+ GSXR 600/750 have a slipper clutch. It does not have anything to do whatsoever with clutchless shifting. It allows you to be a little sloppy with your rev matching while downshifting, though they can still be locked up (personally tested... Oopsy.) All motorcycles can shift without the clutch fairly easily, though it is easier on some than others. For anything with a chain final drive it is dead simple.

Clultchless shifting is easy. While accelerating you pre-load the shifter by putting your toe underneath it (or on top of it if you're doing the race-pattern-thang) and applying slight pressure. Then you roll off the throttle for just a moment and then roll it back on. When you roll off the throttle, it unloads the transmission, which allows it to slip gently and smoothly into the next gear; no grinding, no muss, no fuss. Done correctly it is quite smooth and saves you a second or two on your laptimes.

For street riding it's just for bragging rights for the Starschmucks parking lot pimps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chango, I will have to try it next time I am out. is there any rpm that I should be at or dose it work at all rpms?

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
Noleman you say yes and then describe something different. ????

There are devices on the market called speed shifters and what they do is for a moment they kill your ignition, this unloads the transmission. This prevents the need for what Noleman is describing which is a clutchless shift. With a speedshifter it allows you to keep the throttle wide open and still shift.

Noleman describes a clutchless shift and I wouldn't think there would be an advantage to a clutchless shift on the street, why take the chance of abusing your transmission for shifts not done properly. When racing every fraction of a second counts. I don't know about 2 seconds a lap. Putting a speedshifter on my bike was good for a quarter second a lap but no way 2 seconds even on a big track.

Z

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Yeah Z-man. I was saying yes to his initial question. I gathered that he is not aware of Dynojet Quick Shifter. I assumed he is asking about clutchless shifting when he says "speed shifting." Thats why I changed the terminology in the middle of my post. Sometimes I answer a question at the level it was asked. If someone asks, what the heck is speed shifting and then makes a statement about a certain bike coming from the factory with a clutch that is specific to "speed shifting"(LOL) I assume he does not know much about this technique and some of the equiptment used to help with it.

However, using a Quickshifter is still clutchless shifting. Clutchless shifting without a quickshifter is the same as with. One just uses a computer to unload the motor(coupled with an electric shifter) and the other uses your throttle to unload the motor(coupled with your toe). And you are right, neither will save you a "couple" of seconds LOL. Maybe a half a second.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts