Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 08 R6 and they don't have them stock, but I see a lot of other bikes with them, including the older R6's. Is it work converting my standard bulb?

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Converting your bulbs won't give you projectors. It will give you HIDs.

HID projectors are HID bulbs with a special lens in front of them instead of a reflector behind. The lens works better to focus the light and reduce glare from your headlights.

There is no set projector kit for the R6. But I do have some projectors from an Audi A6 that I've been thinking of fabbing a housing for. Some others have done it , but it looks hard.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the ones with projectors are the 03-05R6/06-08R6S. someone just put up a thread in the how-to or appearance section where he modded some projectors into his r6.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To be direct to you question. NO. I have a projector headlight on my car with HID. I have HID on my 08 R6. The only different is the projector head light focus the light beam into and under a certain level. So if you have a prjector headlight in front of a wall. You'll notice a define line on the wall. There will be no light above that line, all the light is focus into that line and under. It's good for the person driving in front of you but I don't see a different when I drive.
the light housing on my R6 look much better than my RX8 (car) because the light beam fill up the R6 light housing making the housing glow.
Plus with all the trouble you have to go through to covert your R6 light into projector you might have a funny looking headlight unless you know what you're doing and make it look super good.
Do as I did, just get HID into your R6. You'll love it.....

·
Powered by the Dragon
263 Posts
To be direct to you question. NO. I have a projector headlight on my car with HID. I have HID on my 08 R6. The only different is the projector head light focus the light beam into and under a certain level. So if you have a prjector headlight in front of a wall. You'll notice a define line on the wall. There will be no light above that line, all the light is focus into that line and under. It's good for the person driving in front of you but I don't see a different when I drive.
the light housing on my R6 look much better than my RX8 (car) because the light beam fill up the R6 light housing making the housing glow.
Plus with all the trouble you have to go through to covert your R6 light into projector you might have a funny looking headlight unless you know what you're doing and make it look super good.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think all projectors do is make a cut-off. Projectors focus the light better and reduce glare, not just for the rider/driver, but for others on the road as well. HIDs are the light source that provides more and brighter light. If you simply stick HIDs into a reflector housing, all you get is more light, but more light doesn't mean it's better. You'll have a lot of light going everywhere, which not only looks bad and blinds others, but also doesn't focus the light properly where you need it, like right in front of you when riding.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think all projectors do is make a cut-off. Projectors focus the light better and reduce glare, not just for the rider/driver, but for others on the road as well. HIDs are the light source that provides more and brighter light. If you simply stick HIDs into a reflector housing, all you get is more light, but more light doesn't mean it's better. You'll have a lot of light going everywhere, which not only looks bad and blinds others, but also doesn't focus the light properly where you need it, like right in front of you when riding.
So does that mean that Projectors are worse than Reflectors? Your last sentence was confusing so thats why im asking.

·
R1+5
507 Posts
hands down, the projectors are brighter than reflectors, reason being is that reflectors aren't meant for HIDs, compare a BMW with and a car that has reflectors, and like mines, I've compared but I dont have a picture for it, my friends 600RR to mines.

He's got 6000k which is suppose to be the brightest and mines 15000k, mines measure to the same light as him(and he even mention why is that). His was distorted and its all over the place and knowing mines, the beam is focus(hence its like a magnify glass; curved lens), if I still had the cut offs my distance would be better plus with that it would help to stop in blinding drivers.

·
Powered by the Dragon
263 Posts
So does that mean that Projectors are worse than Reflectors? Your last sentence was confusing so thats why im asking.
Don't know what's confusing about it? HIDs don't work in reflectors, they need to be in projectors so that the light will be focused where it's needed. If they're in reflectors than the light goes everywhere and it's just a big blob.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I'm gonna clear this up a bit. There are 4 different setup techniques:

1. Incandescent Bulbs in Reflector Housing:
This is the stock setup. It works fine.

2. HID Bulbs in Reflector Housing:
Contrary to what dragonium may have led you to believe, reflectors can work just fine with HID's. The problem is that the stock reflector housing is engineered specifically for the incandescent bulbs, so merely changing the bulbs to HID's does give you more scattered light, causing glare. If the reflector housing is designed for HID's, then it works great. If the housing is not designed for HID's, then installing HID's will still give you more usable light on the road, but it will also blind oncoming drivers from the glare.

3. Incandescent Bulbs in Projector Housing:
This works great. The projector lens focuses the light better than a reflector housing would, causing more usable light to hit the ground and giving you better visibility. Does not create more light like HID's do, but focuses the light better.

4. HID Bulbs in Projector Housing:
This is the best possible setup. It combines the extra light output from the brighter HID's with the better focusing power of the projector housing, giving you the best possible view of the road.

·
Powered by the Dragon
263 Posts
I'm gonna clear this up a bit. There are 4 different setup techniques:

2. HID Bulbs in Reflector Housing:
Contrary to what dragonium may have led you to believe, reflectors can work just fine with HID's. The problem is that the stock reflector housing is engineered specifically for the incandescent bulbs, so merely changing the bulbs to HID's does give you more scattered light, causing glare. If the reflector housing is designed for HID's, then it works great. If the housing is not designed for HID's, then installing HID's will still give you more usable light on the road, but it will also blind oncoming drivers from the glare.
Good points. I was referring to the reflectors in our bikes since they are the ones in question. But in general, most reflector housings aren't made for HIDs, whether it be a bike or car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dragon25, When I say cut off point it mean that the light beam is focus and will not go over that cut off point there for better for the person in front of you.

" HIDs are the light source that provides more and brighter light. If you simply stick HIDs into a reflector housing, all you get is more light......"

That is the point of getting an HID conversion. More Light. The question here is: Is it worth converting my standard bulb to projection. Then my answer is NO. If you read the tread that a member on here made about converting our R6 08 headlight into projector you'll know what I'm talking about.
Yes reflector HID will make the light go everywhere, just like a refector light with Incandescent Bulbs. When I say go everywhere, remember you do still have control over a # of % where the light go. If not HID or Incandescent bulbs in a reflectore head light could still blind the people in front of you AKA Incandescent bulbs in a reflector head light on HIGH BEAM.
The thing about projector head light that I dont like is the fact that when you go up a road that changes elavationl that you neve been on before. The "cut off/ foucus" line will prevent you from seeing anything above that line. So if you going down hill then up hill and there is an obstical in the middle of the road above that "cut off" line that the projector light generate, you're SOL.
You can alway lower your light using the adjustable knobs on the back of our stock housing. That will help out the other drive on the road.
My reason for putting HID into my reflector head light is that I want people to see me from far far away. I have my light adjusted where it would blind on coming traffic, but as a new rider on a black bike. I want other to see me. Most accident happen is when the people in the car don't see you, not because you can't see them.
Also thank you gravis86 for clearing that up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for the input from eveybody. I already put some 10000K HID in my bike about the second week I had it. If the only difference with projectors is that they allow me to direct/angle the light so I don't bother the person infront of me, personally, I don't see a reason to spend the money. With my current set up I see everything on the road and I rather have the person in front of me see me before I blow by them.

·