Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked an 05 with 3000 miles I figured with such low miles it would be probably free. No such luck haha. Well it is leaking gas from a straight nipple in the fuel pump comp. the nipple has play in it like it is removable and has an o-ring to seat it. Well just wondering what the part was called and if anyone has ever had this Problem. Thanks Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but it isn't the pump itself right. Does that nipple come out? The pump is working just fine just leaking where that nipple meats that housing. Thanks for the quick reply. 60 in New York today and I'm not riding :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im an auto mechanic. if its the same design as car pumps everything that you see in the picture that is plastic and white is the top of the fuel pump, and its all one piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dude I got the same exact problem on my 05!!!! Must be a common problem with that year..I was trying to look up that part too but no such thing. It only sells as one component: the pump and the assembly together. There's pumps on eBay as well but u never know the life span of the pump. Was wondering if maybe I can put some JB weld of something around the outer perimeter so it'll stop leaking but I don't know how effective that will be..?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
first how sure are you it's not the hose leaking? that is the return line so it doesn't have a super amount of psi going to it. that's why it's just on there with a hose clamp. if the hose is hard it will leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to fix the problem with seal all. No more gas leak. Much cheaper than buying the whole pump comp. thanks for the info. It wasn't the hose just poor design in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I originally had a leak in the hose that went onto that nozzle in the picture above (don't know if that's the return line) but I went ahead and just replaced it with a (hard) fuel line I got at advance auto parts. Seemed like everything was ok for a couple of weeks and then I smelled gasoline. Pulled the tank and sure enough it was leaking again...do u know what kind of hose that is? I looked on the diagram but there doesn't seem to be a hose that resembles the one I had on originally...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having that same problem on my 03... @Ianwadsworth def poor design... I took the pump partially out and it looks like that nipple does come off but the clips on the inside of the pump might snap off while removing it... That nipple should have been molded to that part of the pump to begin with... I know its been 3 months, hows that Seal-All holding???

·
Registered
11 Posts
I totally agree dude. Frikin horrible flaw in that design. So I actually gave the pump to a "friend" to look at and the dude lost the damn thing. Don't know how but he did. The bike has just been sitting ever since. I'm thinking about just winging it and finding a used pump on eBay...
What do U plan on doing??

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my 05. I am thinking of using Seal-All. Anybody had any success with that? And I'm thinking I can try that without taking off the fuel assembly...?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
whatever glue you use it has to be compatible with gas or it's just going to fall off. and you few guys are literally the only people I've seen on a R6 or R1 forum with this issue. seems like the plastic is decaying. or it's because of ethanol in the fuel.
this isn't a issue this bike had at all.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It may be that way so they can attach different diameter nozzles... in which case there may be an o-ring seal in between the two parts. First question is, do they separate and if so, how? Just pry apart? That type of plastic can be inflexible and brittle. Even attempting to find out whether they're separable may be risky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts