Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what kind do u guys use? I used PJ1 and it just seems to fling grease everywhere. I don't like that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I bought a can of bel ray chain lube, I dont like it because it goes on and leaves a white coating which looks bad

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm with stoneloco... I use the same stuff.... maxima in the gold/brown can.... it doesn't leave the horrid grey/sludgy look the wax-wax at the dealership used on my first service

·
Registered
283 Posts
i also use MAXIMA , but i use the synthetic stuff ,.. it thickins when it goes on the chain and it dosn't fling off as much ,..

don't know if everyone does this,.. but i put my bike on the rear stand and put it into first and spray on the lube and when it's on i then put it up to 4-5 gear and rev it up a bit . it should fling off any accsess stuff .

·
Registered
712 Posts
jasfrmn said:
I bought a can of bel ray chain lube, I dont like it because it goes on and leaves a white coating which looks bad
DO NOT BUY THAT BEL REY CRAP!!! I cleaned my chain the other day and that's all the dealership had and it looks like crap, leaves this white coating on the chain....looks like i painted my chain with whiteout!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Can't remember which Magazine but they recently did an article on chain lubes, and found that PJ1 black label has the least amount of slingoff and most effective. That's what I have in my garage and have had since I can remember lubing a chain on my dirtbike since age...10 or so :cheers

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
[quote='01R6]Can't remember which Magazine but they recently did an article on chain lubes, and found that PJ1 black label has the least amount of slingoff and most effective. That's what I have in my garage and have had since I can remember lubing a chain on my dirtbike since age...10 or so :cheers[/quote]

Isn't the "Blue Label" designed for O-Ring chains though? I was looking at the Blue Label stuff, but hadn't considered the Black Label because of the O-Ring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chain Wax is definitly the good stuff, swear by it, in summer i usually clean and lube my chain bi-monthly, Pro Honda Brake and Contact Cleaner is by far the best for cleaning, then hit it with the chain wax, and you'll definitly notice the difference. :hammer

·
Registered
302 Posts

According to this the difference in X ring to O ring is the shape of the seals, and the X seal is supposed to keep dirt out better, but as I read the "better" job it does is not justified to it's cost against the O ring chains. And reading on the PJ1 blue label vs. black label.

black labels literature:
Heavy duty, thin-bodied lubricant penetrates chain rollers. Molybdenum disulfide and synthetic sperm oil added. For standard and o-ring off-road chain.

blue labels literature:
Gives o-ring chains longer life
Keeps o-rings moist and pliable
No messy fly-off

Sounds mostly like the black label is for off road and any O ring or standard chain, and that blue label is for basically motorcycle O rings. The magazine that I read said the black label had the least amount of fling off, I think either can be used, but since I've been using black label for, who knows...ever? I'll try the blue label to see if I notice a difference, which is in about 15 more miles but a half a can of black label left, when I do try the blue label and if a difference is noticed, I'll find this thread and post. :drink

In what way is chain wax far more superior, I'm interested in finding something new, I'm satisfied but always interested in better products. It sounds like the label is saying just what the black label says. For standard and O ring applications.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
jasfrmn said:
I use the Belray Chain lube, but to avoid that nasty looking coating I spray the shit out the chain then wipe off the the outside of the links and it is hardly noticeable.

Personally I would rather have the chain have a barely noticeable tinge of white than get lube all over the wheel, tire and undertail of the bike, but that's just me. And the Belray WILL NOT sling off. :hammer

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like the stuff I run in my chainsaw, Bar and Chain Lube, get it a Rural King, $5 for like a whole gallon :hammer No really I use maxima chain wax too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
belray superclean

I used to use maxima, but it doesn't stay on the chain.

Belray does leave the chain looking white but it doesn't fling off the chain, which is a good tradeoff for me. Belray also doesn't seem to attract as much dirt/grime as maxima used to. The only downside is that its a little harder to clean the chain (which makes sense if it sticks to the chain better).

·
Registered
373 Posts
r6boater said:
I like the stuff I run in my chainsaw, Bar and Chain Lube, get it a Rural King, $5 for like a whole gallon :hammer No really I use maxima chain wax too.
:hammer i thought u were serious for a second there

i'm another maxima wax user. it doesn't fling unless you oversaturate. like i did the first time i used it :cuss

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Redline 80w/140 gear oil! Clean chain with kerosene... 1 drop of oil on each roller... rotate wheel 12-15 times to work oil into chain... wipe off excess with a clean rag!

·
Banned
786 Posts
Make that a vote for Maxima chain wax hee too.....Been using it for about 12 years now, wouldn't use anything else YEA! YEA!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts