Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how much coverage you guys have on your bikes.

I'm probably only going to get the required liability, personal injury, etc. It would be about $250/yr for me, being 18 and all.

I just can't force myself to get full coverage for $2,500/yr on a $5,300 bike, with a $1,000 deductible. Hypothetically, if it is damaged once in the next year, thats like paying $3,500 just for replacement parts:thumbdown

I know full coverage includes theft, but I really don't live in or ride to bad enough areas to really have to worry about that.

-Will I be ok with the minimum insurance?

Also, is there any way to legally protect yourself from liability for passengers safety/injuries?
My girlfriend loves to ride with me, but I just know if something ever happened, her mom would sue the pants off of me(she pretty much made it clear, and their money situation is bad right now so I put 2 and 2 together)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
No insurance here. I only take passengers if they know the risk or in empty parking spaces.
You don't need insurance for yourself?

I have only liability right now, pay 48 a month.. Maybe when the season starts i'll go liability+theft.

·
R6'ers B4 Gixxers
367 Posts
Full coverage...$328/year.

OP'er,

As far as worrying about your bike being stolen...you don't have to ride through or live in any bad neighborhood or location for something ill to happen. Thieving D-Bags will get you no matter where you are! Just something to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts

OP'er,

As far as worrying about your bike being stolen...you don't have to ride through or live in any bad neighborhood or location for something ill to happen. Thieving D-Bags will get you no matter where you are! Just something to keep in mind.
+1

IMO it'll get stolen easier in a nice neighborhood as there is usually less cop presence and people leave there stuff out in the open with more confidence.

In the crappy neighborhoods I've lived in a thief would have to work to steal something, where I live now I bet 50% of people have there back door open all day.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
yea, there have been times i come out in the morning to find my front door unlocked, and my truck unlocked as well. not a problem - as of yet.

either way, i have full coverage, with $2500 medical bill payment, 25/50/25 (k) coverage, $500 deductible, and have filed a claim (big one) already, and am at ~$950/year. :D sometimes it's good to be 32 and married with 2 kids. :laugh

and fwiw - don't get the PIP coverage unless you think you won't be able to work and make money should you have a wreck. i'd get the medical bill payment add-on before the personal injury protection option. just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
yea, there have been times i come out in the morning to find my front door unlocked, and my truck unlocked as well. not a problem - as of yet.

either way, i have full coverage, with $2500 medical bill payment, 25/50/25 (k) coverage, $500 deductible, and have filed a claim (big one) already, and am at ~$950/year. :D sometimes it's good to be 32 and married with 2 kids. :laugh

and fwiw - don't get the PIP coverage unless you think you won't be able to work and make money should you have a wreck. i'd get the medical bill payment add-on before the personal injury protection option. just my two cents.
For some reason I always though you were mid 20's.... lol

I guess that's a compliment?

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
50/100/25 $500 deductible, havent had to file a claim, but I'm only 26 lol it does help that I've taken the MSF course, clean driving record, and own a house though lol....unfortunately I cant say I have kids or am married yet haha
oh this is all at $1024 a year. Which is nothing really, when I was in jersey I was paying like $1600 for six months for liability hahaha on a car, so I dont mind a $85 insurance bill on my bike

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Liability.. A massive $204 a year.. at 19 :) Nationwide is on my side!

·
Registered
129 Posts
i dont know what i will be paying because i just bought my bike and i am fully covered medically on my dads insurance as far as medical things go? but im wondering if i should get full coverage or not? hmmm.... awsome thing is i can list the bike under my dads name with the insurance company and i will be listed as a secondary rider and only have to pay 53 $ a month for full coverage... WOOT.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got liability only on my 6 for $110 a year, and when we were filling out the paper work that was actually quoted for a 1000cc bike. Btw im 19 and in college :toocool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
what company? and what other vehicles were on the policy?
It is a small insurance company in my hometown, but the policy insurance is through GMAC. Not sure if they can give better rates than going straight to the company or what. The bike is the only vehicle on the policy though, all others are on State Farm

·
sidecar enthusiast
28 Posts
Liability.. A massive $204 a year.. at 19 :) Nationwide is on my side!
Not bad. Nationwide quoted me at 328/yr, and progressive at 234/yr for just liability. I just got my r6 a few weeks ago and purchased insurance on it for winter storage (facility required insurance). Ended up going with nationwide because i only needed about 4 months of liability coverage and progressive requires a higher down payment, so I will end up paying less for 4 months of nationwide than 4 months of progressive.

However, for comp+liability, nationwide had me at 636/yr while progressive was only 473/yr. Come spring, i'll be switching my coverage over to progressive.

Oh yeah, and i'm a 20 year old male with a clean track record, no MSF course taken. Does anyone know if progressive/nationwide offers discounts for the MSF course?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

OP'er,

Dirty cash, whats ur insurance company?? maybe u can hook us up if you know the agent...i need the extra money to buy cigarettes :nono

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be paying ~250 a year for base insurance, 500 for a little better, and 2500 a year with FULL coverage.

I'm 18, in college, and don't own a house. No kids, thank God.
I pay 2300/yr for my 05 xterra..fail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts