Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how are you guys. Im new to the track scene. I've only done a few but im hooked. I have basically a stock r6 with danmoto cat delete, gypr slip on, bmc race filter, and bazzaz fuel management with quickshifter. With bazzaz i can store two maps at a time on the system. I'm having the bike tune soon and i wanted to do a map with regular gas and racing gas. So i was wondering with the set up i have, is it safe to use racing gas "with a tune" or not. Also what kind of racing gas should i use. Seams to have a few out there, 100 octane 110 octane. Leaded and unleaded. Help me out. Thanks

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I run 90 octane non-ethanol and dyno'd 111hp.
I don't feel so bad leaving a bit of the non-ethanol in the tank between track days.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Save your money and just run pump.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Save your money and just run pump.

+1

If you're racing, then race is gas can be the difference between losing by a bike length or not. Otherwise it is an insane added expense.

And to take advantage of any race gas you need to do different ignition mapping. Fuel mapping alone is not worth it at all. And I honestly don't see a need for fuel mapping changes on pump race gas. VP race fuels are oxygenated enough that you do need a richer tune to account for the amount of oxygen in the fuel. Pump 100 is not that heavily oxygenated. 110 leaded is not oxygenated at all.

The added o2 in the gas makes power, but withou advancing the ignition, you will probably give up some power. The one advantage is the bike does get smoother on and off the gas, but that can also be accomplished with a flash.

You'd really need to have two ecu's and two fuel maps in the bazzaz. Or at least two ecu's. One race gas and one pump gas.

Otherwise a PCV and ignition module can also hold two fuel and ignition maps. And if you're going that far with it you'd want a flash anyway to really let the bike make everything it can.

In the end, run pump premium and call it a day. Still get the flash tho. It helps all around with smoothing and how the bike performs as well.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
+1

If you're racing, then race is gas can be the difference between losing by a bike length or not. Otherwise it is an insane added expense.

And to take advantage of any race gas you need to do different ignition mapping. Fuel mapping alone is not worth it at all. And I honestly don't see a need for fuel mapping changes on pump race gas. VP race fuels are oxygenated enough that you do need a richer tune to account for the amount of oxygen in the fuel. Pump 100 is not that heavily oxygenated. 110 leaded is not oxygenated at all.

The added o2 in the gas makes power, but withou advancing the ignition, you will probably give up some power. The one advantage is the bike does get smoother on and off the gas, but that can also be accomplished with a flash.

You'd really need to have two ecu's and two fuel maps in the bazzaz. Or at least two ecu's. One race gas and one pump gas.

Otherwise a PCV and ignition module can also hold two fuel and ignition maps. And if you're going that far with it you'd want a flash anyway to really let the bike make everything it can.

In the end, run pump premium and call it a day. Still get the flash tho. It helps all around with smoothing and how the bike performs as well.

tl:dr :lmao;)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Honestly, you wont gain much without tuning both fuel and ignition curves, and race gas gets EXPENSIVE in a hurry. The most common fuels I see at the track are the VP oxygenates, most notably Ultimate 4.4 and MR 12. They are probably good for a couple horsepower, but at $20/gallon plus out here in CA, it gets hard to justify. And you cant leave it in the tank between races. It will destroy your fuel pump and tar everything up. Run pump and learn to wring that thing's neck, you'll be better off financially because you'll be able to afford moar trakdayz!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts