Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get one for my track bike GPS lap timer or data logger. I want to get your feedback on whatever you use.

best,

Jonathan

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
GPX Pro 4 channel.

Works pretty well. Is pretty easy to install and setup. The biggest hassle if finding a good way to mount it.

4 channels of external data is plenty for my use. It can be a little finicky about auto recognizing which track you're on. You can either deal with it, and then jump through hoops to move all the sessions to the same track once you pull it onto your PC, or manually set which track you're at when you show up there, but I always forget to do that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Get an aim product. I've ran aim for over 10 years and they fix everything they sell for free! Obviously if you crash and mangle the device they will charge you for parts. But, if a button, sensor, light or any type of control board or anything goes bad, send it to them and they fix it. You pay shipping and that's it. Having said that....

Aim solo, or the aim solo DL. The solo is the base model. I have one. They are both completely Gps. You can set numerous splits, any start/finish line you want, and tells you speed based on gps. The solo dl, you can either hardwire, or buy the harness for 60$ to have all your rpm, water temp, speed, and whatever else your ecu will already provide, plus gps lap times. The only advanced the DL has over the base model is data acquisition.

I cannot stress to you have fantastic this device really is. I literally take it off my dirt bike, put it on the race bike, and even my car in a matter of seconds. On my dirt bike, I rip around trails where lines on the track are within feet of crossing each other. The gps is so accurate, that it doesn't get lost and start tracking onto the wrong side. You can later take all this data with the DL and plug it into the computer, and analyze every single part of the track. Aim GPS virtually creates a track, and draws it out on the computer so you can click on any certain part of the track, and it will say how fast you were going, what rpms your turning, and if you have hooked up, how many "g's" your pushing.

I've never owned any starlene or gpx lap timer, but i see absolutely zero reason the switch to them brands. I've tested aim products for over 10 years and have at least 30 of their data acquisition products and I can tell you I've never once been dissatisfied. Especially by customer support.

Also if you've got the dough, get a smartycam. Simply brilliant videos.

I've got a base model solo that has been used maybe 10 times for sale At the moment if anyone's interested... retail for 400$... Selling for 300$

Once again, aim products kick serious ass!

·
wat?
722 Posts
GPX Pro 4 channel.

Works pretty well. Is pretty easy to install and setup. The biggest hassle if finding a good way to mount it.

4 channels of external data is plenty for my use. It can be a little finicky about auto recognizing which track you're on. You can either deal with it, and then jump through hoops to move all the sessions to the same track once you pull it onto your PC, or manually set which track you're at when you show up there, but I always forget to do that.

This is what I use. Agree on all above, except I don't forget to set which track I am at ;)

Logging throttle position is a must have jn my opinion, assuming you actually want to look at data beyond just a lap time.

The software integration between the device and pc could be better. For example you can set sectors and it calculates theoretical best laps on the device, but that doesn't carry over to the pc.

Customer service is excellent. I had an issue and they fixed it right away and even helped ship faster so I'd have it back before my next race weekend.

I would say one of the most underrated things though is WHAT DO THE FAST GUYS WHO RACE WITH YOU USE? Being able to share data with someone else is huge... If they'll let you.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
I run the Qstarz BT-Q1000eX GPS lap timer. I was lucky enough to snag a 5Hz unit last year for around $75 shipped. Seems like these days only the newer 10Hz unit is available which sells for closer to $200.

I like the GPS data it provides and I also like how I can compare my data to my other friends who also use this unit. Very solid learning tool.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,450 Posts
I just use a lowly xt racing mini :laugh

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
i use the Qstarz LT-Q6000 GPS Lap Timer, it provides a lot of good data. let me know if you're interested, i know someone that can provide you a good deal if he still has it. i have already hooked up over 10 of my friends with this lap timer.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I have got the AIM solo lap timer. Like it so far, but the only issue I have is it seems to pick different start/finish points on the track some times and I am not sure why.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used my AIM Solo for the first time this weekend. I was very satisfied with the ease of use, accuracy and battery life.

The analysis software is cool as hell. I can see the difference after braking how a coach had recommended and translate into cutting down 2.5 seconds compared to how I used to brake there before.

On top of GPS speed/time/position, the Solo also has sensors to capture acceleration and lean angle. I just finished making this video in DashWare with data from the Solo and video from a GoPro.

I have got the AIM solo lap timer. Like it so far, but the only issue I have is it seems to pick different start/finish points on the track some times and I am not sure why.
I'd double check the database in the device. You can update it with Race Studio and fix your lap time history in Race Analysis by forcing your laps to the reference track map.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Damn...I miss Barber. Haven't been there in a few years. I like the dash overlay!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts