Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Can I use 5w30 or is there a better oil to use?
Fram filters just as good or should i spend more money on a good one?
no don't use fram filters. buy yamaha filters. you need to use 10w40 or 20w50 motorcycle grade oil is recommended..most street bikes only need 10w40. a race bike could use 20w50 and air cooled engines typically need 20w oil but water cooled engines are fine with 10w40

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Don't use K&N either.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Would be happy to never touch a k&n again. my prev owner liked them and apparently installed one with an impact wrench, socket wrench rounded out the flimsy little pocket and i had to drive a screwdriver thru the body as a lever to get the filter moving. napa gold or wix are my go-tos

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I typically use 20W-50 during the Summer (think, traffic on a 93F day) and 10W during the many months where "cold" starts are a factor.
@The Evil Twin - What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N. (@gpounce - the previous owner, unwisely, wrenched that filter on - the only reason there is trouble getting any filter off - should also apply oil to the gasket before mounting)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I typically use 20W-50 during the Summer (think, traffic on a 93F day) and 10W during the many months where "cold" starts are a factor.

@The Evil Twin - What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N. (@gpounce - the previous owner, unwisely, wrenched that filter on - the only reason there is trouble getting any filter off - should also apply oil to the gasket before mounting)
they rupture and blow out seals. happened so much k&n finally did a recall when enough motorcycle owners bitched. also motoamerica, wera and a few other race orgs banned aftermarket filters because of K&N.
they use yamaha filters on the factory MotoGp bikes making 250hp and 17k rpm. it's good enough for your R6

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
@The Evil Twin - What's up with K&N? Are there any known issues with volumetric throughput, bypass or the effectiveness of the filter media? I normally stick with manufacturer brand oil filters for my vehicles but this one has been exception due to the limited local availability of the Yamaha filter + the super easy wrench-off of the K&N.
As mentioned, they rupture. I have seen it first hand at the track. CCS has banned them as have the org I coach for (MARRC). Since they decided to outsource their shells to a cheaper Chinese company, there have been a host of failures. Hiflo Filtro used to make them for K&N and there was never an issue. If you like the nut then just get the Hiflo. Another option is Amsoil filters which are made in the US (Hastings makes some of them, Amsoil makes the rest) and you can use a spider wrench or cup to install / remove them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is nothing special about the Yamaha filters. The filter for the R6 is widely used in cars and bikes:

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/MOBIL/M1-108

I have used the Mobil M1-108 and Ryco RMZ119 no problem on both my MV and R6. The main thing is they have a bypass valve and good filtration. Some filters cut corners on filtration to increase flow. Mobil is one that has good flow and filtration. K&N don't filter as well as others to get the flow much like their air filters....

Avoid K&N.

Oil is fine as long as it meets or exceeds the specs in the manual:
SAE10W-30 or SAE20W-40
Recommended engine oil grade: API service SG type or higher, JASO standard
MA

I use Penrite because it is available locally (Australian and known as good quality producer) and exceeds the specs: https://penriteoil.com.au/applications/motocycle/4-stroke-engine-oils/mc-4st-full-synthetic-10w-40#/

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There is nothing special about the Yamaha filters. The filter for the R6 is widely used in cars and bikes:

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/MOBIL/M1-108

I have used the Mobil M1-108 and Ryco RMZ119 no problem on both my MV and R6. The main thing is they have a bypass valve and good filtration. Some filters cut corners on filtration to increase flow. Mobil is one that has good flow and filtration. K&N don't filter as well as others to get the flow much like their air filters....

Avoid K&N.

Oil is fine as long as it meets or exceeds the specs in the manual:
SAE10W-30 or SAE20W-40
Recommended engine oil grade: API service SG type or higher, JASO standard
MA

I use Penrite because it is available locally (Australian and known as good quality producer) and exceeds the specs: https://penriteoil.com.au/applications/motocycle/4-stroke-engine-oils/mc-4st-full-synthetic-10w-40#/
I quit using car filters because they now have tiny little slits inside the metal tube for the oil to flow through. the yamaha and Hiflo filters have much larger holes in that tube. btw, denso makes the yamaha filter which also makes suzuki and I believe honda as well.

hey if they put them on rossi's bike they're good enough for me. https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/photos/yamaha-yzr-m1-engine-11674520/11674520/

·
Registered
106 Posts
I didn't say they were bad. I just said they were not special.

You are correct many car filters are not suitable. I choose motorcycle ones ( the Ryco one is motorcycle) or the Mobil M1-108. One important feature is a bypass valve.

People pay a premium for motorcycle maker branded items often. Just like oils :)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The oil that is replaced on time(relative) and is the appropriate weight/viscosity for your use is best.

Blackstone provides a great service and Bob is the oil guy is a great place to read up on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
fine oil. made with ester which is considered top of the food chain when it comes to engine lubricants.
Does anyone know if Amsoil or Mobil1 are also made with ester? I'm trying to decide which synthetic to go with between those two and Motul 7100 or 300V

1 - 20 of 34 Posts