Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know if Amsoil or Mobil1 are also made with ester? I'm trying to decide which synthetic to go with between those two and Motul 7100 or 300V
Im not 100% sure, but i dont think so.

I prefer 7100 cus it lasts longer, 300v is "racing oil", therefor it doenst last as much miles/kms as 7100.

I just find you get good enough lube and mile range with 7100, i dont generally use products market as "racing"

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
amsoil is a pao I think. they don't like to say. Mobil1 used to be pao but since they lost their lawsuit against castrol over castrol not using any real synthetic oil and calling it synthetic mobil 1 joined them. so it's garbage now.
I mean, yes it's still better than standard oil but it's NOT true synthetic like PAOs and Esters. most oils that have ester are a PAO and Ester blend. so you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Im not 100% sure, but i dont think so.

I prefer 7100 cus it lasts longer, 300v is "racing oil", therefor it doenst last as much miles/kms as 7100.

I just find you get good enough lube and mile range with 7100, i dont generally use products market as "racing"

Thanks.
this is supposedly true. however motul 300v is supposedly ok to keep using. they do suggest you send sample of it in for analysis just to be sure. I think they do recommend 7100 for street use over 300v though. just for that reason.
I found a company called MPT that says their oil can be used up to 30k miles. but also suggest you change it sooner if used in severe duty use. such as racing etc. its $14.95 a qt and is 100% ester and pao only. no petroleum additives of any kind. I just started using it so I have no scientific evidence yet. but at the end of the riding season I will send it to blackstone for analysis. so far my 300v results show I could probably use it for 2 entire years. it's barely used they say. the TBN number comes back in the 7 range. oil that is depleted is around 1. the only problem with MPT is there is a sticker on the bottle that says shake well, I forgot to shake it at all for 3 of the 4.5 qts my R1 uses. dohh! (my homer simpson moment)
MPT® Full Synthetic High Performance Motorcycle Oil

·
Registered
175 Posts
this is supposedly true. however motul 300v is supposedly ok to keep using. they do suggest you send sample of it in for analysis just to be sure. I think they do recommend 7100 for street use over 300v though. just for that reason.
I found a company called MPT that says their oil can be used up to 30k miles. but also suggest you change it sooner if used in severe duty use. such as racing etc. its $14.95 a qt and is 100% ester and pao only. no petroleum additives of any kind. I just started using it so I have no scientific evidence yet. but at the end of the riding season I will send it to blackstone for analysis. so far my 300v results show I could probably use it for 2 entire years. it's barely used they say. the TBN number comes back in the 7 range. oil that is depleted is around 1. the only problem with MPT is there is a sticker on the bottle that says shake well, I forgot to shake it at all for 3 of the 4.5 qts my R1 uses. dohh! (my homer simpson moment)
So Motul and Amsoil are TRUE synthetics, and Mobil1 is currently not? I've read ALOT of GREAT things about Amsoil, I'm just not sure whether or not to believe all the hype, do user analysis confirm any of this? The fact they're not forthcoming about what base they're using is a little suspicious to me. Motul seems to come highly regarded as well on this forum, especially the 300V, so I'm thinking of trying that, since I plan on splitting the bike between street/track duty.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
So Motul and Amsoil are TRUE synthetics, and Mobil1 is currently not? I've read ALOT of GREAT things about Amsoil, I'm just not sure whether or not to believe all the hype, do user analysis confirm any of this? The fact they're not forthcoming about what base they're using is a little suspicious to me. Motul seems to come highly regarded as well on this forum, especially the 300V, so I'm thinking of trying that, since I plan on splitting the bike between street/track duty.
I'm not sure about them being able to tell what the oil is. they don't provide that to you when they do the analysis. they just test the oil for impurities like gas water, aluminum, etc stuff that should't be in it. then they also break down the additives typically found in motor oils like zinc, molybdenum. stuff like that.

and for a little extra cost they can do a TBN and get an idea of how much oil life is remaining. the higher the number the better. I think it's a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being new oil.

the great thing never talked about with oils containing ester is ester is polar. which means it's molecules cling to metal. maybe not the aluminum but the cams and lifters are steel. and so is the crank, transmission, and bearings.

you will be fine using 300v. just change it at 3000 miles once and send a sample in. then you will have an idea how long you can leave it in.

I left mine (300v) in the bike for an entire year. actually about 14 months. they found 0 water in it and said the tbn is 7. so it got no condensation from sitting unused. and after a whole summer of use it was still at 7. even so, I just cant bring myself to using it more than a single season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info everyone! Just picked up an 08 R6S for an inexpensive toy and am getting ready to change out the fluids. Thanks!

·
Touchdown!
1,266 Posts
It's an opinionated question. Here's my take.

Any oil from any OEM, in this case Yamaha, works perfectly fine. It can easily net you 100,000 miles or more.

Yamaha OEM flters are great. They work well with the motor as they were designed to do. What's not to like? There's another Japanese brand who makes some great filters as well as many others. I stick to the Yamaha filters. If it ain't broke...

Back to the oil, synthethics and conventionals both are great. I use Motul 300V as I'm at the track spinning high RPMs constantly. It's the best oil I ever used - no lie. Bike always shift smooth as butter, it seems to run a little bit cooler, it keeps the engine clean, and it smells great. The only down sides are the price and it's super dooper slippery if it gets on your hands or anywehere else. IMHO, it's still the best.

I'm still a fan of Yamaha oils, and I was using them for the past year - the 10W-40 conventional to be exact. No problems. Just change it every 3000 - 5000 miles depending on your riding habits, and you're good.

Tons of threads where people offered opinions on oils. This is just mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rotella T6 haha.

IMO doesn't really matter what the oil, it's the frequency of it being changed that really matters... I have friends who've done 40+ oil changes on their track bikes with T6 and have absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys recon Motul 300v 10w40 or 20w50 for a 2018 R6 mainly track bike? i live in QLD Australia to the temps to get hot sometimes?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts