Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I had a quick question...

I was just wondering what RPM everyone shifts at if say you and a buddy were at a stoplight and after the light turns green you just let her rip...I was told that you dont want to go all the way to redline so I have my white light set to go off 2,000 below redline (11500 I think) so I know when to shift. Is that right? Do you want to hit redline or is there some other magic RPM number to shift at?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hey guys. So I had a quick question...

I was just wondering what RPM everyone shifts at if say you and a buddy were at a stoplight and after the light turns green you just let her rip...I was told that you dont want to go all the way to redline so I have my white light set to go off 2,000 below redline (11500 I think) so I know when to shift. Is that right? Do you want to hit redline or is there some other magic RPM number to shift at?
Hey your in O-Town! Shoot me a PM if you want to go riding. The best time to shift on a R6S is around 15,000 IMO. The power starts to drop around 14,500 on the charts, but it depends on what you have done to your bike.

I am in NW Omaha and try to ride everyday.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I've had this argument with so many people its not funny. Shift at red line for the fastest acceleration times. I'll explain in more detail later because it takes me like 20 minutes to type up the explanation.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had this argument with so many people its not funny. Shift at red line for the fastest acceleration times. I'll explain in more detail later because it takes me like 20 minutes to type up the explanation.
Agreed, shift higher so your left in the powerbands sweet spot when you go into second.

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
My light comes on at 15.5k, lower gears I shift as quick as possible, get towards 4to5 and 5to6 I may hold it a little closer to 16. OR, In 6th I just bounce of the rev limiter if Im trying to keep in site of my friends bigger bikes lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty thanks guys. All real good answers. Agent 4573 definitely elaborate if you could whenever you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Alrighty thanks guys. All real good answers. Agent 4573 definitely elaborate if you could whenever you get a chance.
The meat of the torque curve peaks well before redline, but the engine continues making great power past that... if you rip all the way to redline then your shift lands you right back into the meat of the torque curve. I.e. you're making great power the whole time and spending as much of your time as you can with the most torque.

If you shift at the point of max power/torque, your shift will land you at a point below the goodness.

I only shortshift in places where it is beneficial due to track layout or gearing.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You shift at redline because engine power doesn't mean acceleration. Before engine power reaches the rear wheel, it has to go through the transmission. Every gear has less than a 1:1 ratio, meaning that by gearing down the engine, you increase the torque to your rear wheel. Lets get one thing out of the way right now, torque causes you to accelerate, not horsepower. So to accelerate faster, you need the most amount of torque applied to the rear wheel. 4th gear is normally a 1:1 ratio meaning that the torque your engine puts out is what the rear wheel sees (minus sprocket ratio which remains constant throughout, so don't even worry about that). So lets go through a scenario:

My bike makes the following power (actual numbers from dyno chart):
10k RPM: 43 ft-lbs, 80 hp
11k RPM: 43 ft-lbs, 90 hp
12k RPM: 44 ft-lbs, 101 hp
13k RPM: 43 ft-lbs, 108 hp
14k RPM: 40 ft-lbs, 105 hp
15k RPM: 37 ft-lbs, 105 hp

My dyno run actually stopped at 14,800 RPMs, so the 15k point is actually 14,800.

Gear ratio's are as follows:
1st: 37/13 (2.846)
2nd: 37/19 (1.947)
3rd: 28/18 (1.556)
4th: 32/24 (1.333)
5th: 25/21 (1.190)
6th: 26/24 (1.083)

In first gear at redline i make 37 ft-lbs at the engine, (37x2.846) 105 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Shifting to 2nd brings me to 10300 rpm. At 10k rpm, its 43 ft-lbs of torque in the motor, (43*1.947) 83.7 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheel. You can see, even shifting at redline where I make less torque, because of the gearing, the rear wheel will ALWAYS see more torque when I'm in first than I can EVER achieve by being in 2nd. Same thing goes for the rest of the gears.

In order to shift before redline, your power would have to drop off considerably, and funny enough it would have to be exactly your gear ratio less power at redline than the RPM you shift into. 1st gear is about 1.5 times shorter than 2nd. This means that you would have to make 1.5 times the power at the lower RPM than at the higher RPM. This 1.5x power normally only happens in the last 200 rpm or so of your RPM limit, and you normally only see it on a dyno because at redline, the computer cuts spark to limit revs. (this is why dyno runs always end with a near vertical line, it would drop off alot more slowly if you didn't have a rev limiter).

So, for the best acceleration, you want to shift 1 rpm before your rev limiter kicks in.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hey there.. this is a pretty old thread, but I found it while researching what the ideal rpm to shift at is..

I'm a TOTAL newb here, and I've been riding for a few years, but just on my Yamaha YZF600R "Thundercat".

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to a 2008 R6 Hi-Rev model.

I'm really surprised at the high rpm that everyone shifts at. Are we talking about regular street riding? I don't think I've ever even revved as high as 10k...

What RPM do you shift at for regular street riding?

1st gear

2nd gear

3rd gear.. and so on?

Thanks!

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
^^^ you may want to try a new post with that question, but it's good info that I would like to know as well. And I'd have to take a guess and say they are talking track....At least I hope so.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
Well Ive been told I short shift alot, so im not going to say what I shift at. Its nothing to brag about

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
You have the high-rev edition?!?! No shit? Post pictures!

I have a track bike, so I shift at redline.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
For street riding, I typically putz around at 6-7k and I'll shift around 8k if I'm just cruisin' and chilling. If I'm merging onto the freeway, want to make a little more noise or just got the itch, I'll go anywhere north of that.

If you're on the street and just chillin', as long as you're not lugging the engine, shift anywhere you want.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
For street riding, I typically putz around at 6-7k and I'll shift around 8k if I'm just cruisin' and chilling. If I'm merging onto the freeway, want to make a little more noise or just got the itch, I'll go anywhere north of that.

If you're on the street and just chillin', as long as you're not lugging the engine, shift anywhere you want.

But-- Nancy-- He has the high-rev edition... Bear that in mind.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,435 Posts
Hey there.. this is a pretty old thread, but I found it while researching what the ideal rpm to shift at is..

I'm a TOTAL newb here, and I've been riding for a few years, but just on my Yamaha YZF600R "Thundercat".

A few weeks ago, I upgraded to a 2008 R6 Hi-Rev model.

I'm really surprised at the high rpm that everyone shifts at. Are we talking about regular street riding? I don't think I've ever even revved as high as 10k...

What RPM do you shift at for regular street riding?

1st gear

2nd gear

3rd gear.. and so on?

Thanks!
nice thread revival.

I am curious who told you that your bike was a "high rev" model. Please explain this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts