Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend tells me shift around 6k. but i find that a little too high, i like to keep it under 4.5k i shift around 4k... am i too low?

this is like local street riding, not racing or anything. with local traffic.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You are shifitng too low

Your friend is shifting too low

Your R6 does not start getting into the powerband until around 8500 RPM

You are probably not doing any damage to your bike (aside from possible carbon build-up in the combustion chamber), but ... live a little!!

:twisted:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like to keep my RPM's around 7k or so. That way I have power to get out of the way if needed. Especialy if I am in traffic. It uses a little more gas, but my life is worth an extra $2 a week in gas! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
308 Posts
i dont think its necessary to shift higher than 6 all the time. If you are shifting at 4.5 than your probably not going to fast and shifting a whole lot. Your bike has much more potential after 4.5k that your probably not experiencing. Plus its way more fun. I shift around 6 around the city because the bike vibrates and the engine screams and works harder than it needs to. I think there still is a lot of available power if your going the right speed in the right gear. However on the twisties i keep it at least at 6k.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For regular street riding, 4.5k is a little low, around 6-7 k's is not too bad. It doesn't sould like the engine is choking nor does it sound like it's about to blow up. Just right.......

·
Registered
100 Posts
So lets say you guys are riding in traffic for lets say 3-4 miles at 30-35 mph what gear are you in? Because to be at 6-7k you'd ned to be in 2nd or 3rd :poke

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
river, your question was not clear. You ought to shift a little higher, but once you get to cruising speed, go up a gear or two.

P.S. These engines are designed to operate at high RPMs.

If you want to cruise around at low RPMs and not have any of that pesky horsepower to deal with - buy a Harley :mrgreen:

·
Registered
100 Posts
No thanks I'll stick to the R6 a Harley's not for me, I'll keep the rev's up no point in having an R6 and riding it like a Harley :mrgreen: Plus I love the SPEED :tongue

·
Registered
308 Posts
word on what river said. if your cruisin, its all right to have the rpm lower. However, technically nobodies wrong here. we can ride a harley like an R6 or an R6 like a Harley.

Only if your on the R6... You are a GOD :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you are having fun going slow, on your R6, then keep it up.

:!: :!:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ride around 4 for cruising ( traffic jams and school zones ). 6 for city riding ( perfect to lift the front in ) and minimum 7 for a hard ride. No use wasting over 10000 rpm shifting at 4 all the time. High RPM = high Power = high fun factor. My first bike was a '95' ZX-2R ( the real 250 Ninja ) and it had to live at 7000+ to get up n go. That riding style has transfered quite nicely to the R6.

·
Registered
494 Posts
All depends what mood i'm in. If i'm in a laid back mood i'll cruise around town 30-40mph in 4th gear. But! If i'm feeling playful i'll cruise around in 1st/2nd gear. Same on the highway... if i'm alone and just cruisin' 5th/6th gear. But if playing around 3rd gear till I need to hit another one. hehe

Alden

1 - 14 of 14 Posts