Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if I'm not really into beefing up my power as of yet (but will in future), what would you do first? I have an '03 Black w/ red flames and I was wanting the fender eliminator kit, a steering dampener, some frame sliders, flush mounts, a new tinted windshield, and maybe some like colored accessories to match.
Now as far as performance, I was thinking about a slip on, and maybe a new fuel mapping.

What do you guys suggest? I really hate that dang fender, but now I'm just confused as to which to go with, there are SO many different ones. I want to integrate my blinkers into my tailights, and just have my license plate there... any and all suggestions kindly welcome, thanks!

-Solace

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i would go with the frame sliders first, then the steering damper, then the fender eliminator kit. as for me i would rather go for stuff that would help me keep as much cosmetic damage to a minimum, i look at it as insurance for the bike. as far as looks go i would wait.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The frame sliders are a must. I would look at the VFX kit because its simple to install and no cutting is involved unless you do the tail light conversion. I would next look into a full exhaust with a power commander. K&N air filter would be a good choice as well. Thats just basic but its really up to you.

Blade

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just use a Dremel too hack off the rear fender. Steering damper will save your ass too. If you have never experienced head shake either on a street bike or a dirt bike chances are the first time it happens you will handle it wrong and the bike will go down.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Get a steering dampener

·
Registered
12 Posts
why the steering dampner, if your riding on the street there is no way you need a one.
you aren't dragging your knee on the street.

I put a hindle system on mine, k&n filter and redid the mapping

that right there is good for 10% more power

as for the frame sliders that is money well spent

Shooter

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you ride wheelies, have potholes, uneven road surfaces. It can start massive headshake. Plus who doesn't head out for a little knee dragging now and then. To each his own i guess, I don't have a damper on my bike. But I do know how to deal with headshake and as soon as I have $400 laying around I will be buying one. Sliders are a good idea too but don't be under the impression that your bike will get no scratches. They will be minimized but your stuff will still get messed up. Here is an example from DarkR6's bike http://www.r6rider.com/album_page.php?pic_id=404

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Assuming you have full gear already.

then
1. damper
2. suspension, brake work
Wait til i win the VFX kit in the giveaway and I'll give you my nicely homeade one :hammer

·
Registered
308 Posts
so i'm guessing darkR6 only had damage to the lower half huh. At first i thought the damage was pretty bad and the frame slider dint do shit, but then i realize it was only the one part on the bottom near the pipe.

eh....

Solace get the sliders 1st. damper (this is the way it is supposed to be spelled) next if you have the cash. Pipe so you can be heard better for saftey reasons as well as a lil bit of mo power. the rest is up to you.

or **** it buy it all!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, thanks guys... what's your opinion on the best fender eliminator kit. As in, easy to do, lots of features, and trusted... ??? I'll probably get those sliders right away. Now, what brands of sliders are there, and how do you know who to trust?

Thanks again...
-Solace

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have to say that I wish I had sliders when I put mine down, it put a hole in my generator cover, do you think I could get one from yamaha canada?
nope had to get it out of cleveland, didn't ride for two weeks, damn near killed me.

I made my own frame sliders now, use delrin and drill out the center. It only will cost you $10 for the material

why pay someone when you can do it yourself

ps I do wheelies all the time on my r6 and I have never had head shake, here in canada a dampner will cost you $800

Shooter

·
Registered
409 Posts
bringing down a wheely in 3rd at over 100mph tends to give my 03 a crazy headshake i stopped doin it after bad one I also know what to do in a situation like that I race motocross too cant wait till I get my Scotts damper will mount to all my bikes with adapters :hump

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you bring wheelies down perfectly every time and hold on to the clip ons super tight, you should be alright, but in the real world, mistakes happen

Get a dampener

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Competition Werks Eliminator kit. It looks so much better than stock (obviously). The directions that came with it sucked. I have an engineering degree and had trouble with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree w/ RedlineR6. Get your gear first. Leather will save your hide!

As for dressing up the bike, I got a resin tank protector first.

Chrome windscreen to match the bike. (Warning: Sportech chrome screens are no street legal!)

I also just ordered an 03 R6 Super Bike under tail from Hotbodiesracing.com. Should be here on Oct. 15.(Stepping stone for buying a highmount slip on)

A PCIII should be here on the 15th as well.

Take an MSF course. It should knock off 5% from your insurance. Everybit can help.

·
max speed
242 Posts
For me it depends on how your planning on riding. If you just cruise around and take things easy then do cosmetic mods first. If you are a serious rider and push your limits then get the sliders and damper first. :gas excuse me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts