Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all. Picked up my first 07 R6. I think I'm done modifying the appearance of my bike. I just did the basics, fendor elminiator, flush mount signals, tinted windshield, reservior covers, undertail cover and frame sliders.

I'm looking to start upgrading for performance now. What should I do first? Tires? Suspension? Exhaust? Rotors?....

Eventually want to turn this bike into a track only bike. On the subject, anyone suggest some good track skins?

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

I'd say an exhaust/power commander upgrade should be in order... steel braided brake lines are a cheap, easy upgrade, too...

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
have your suspension set up for you, tires, brake lines and pads, and a steering damper.
those will make the bike better than adding a few extra hp ever will.

·
wat?
722 Posts
If you want to make it track only, why did you waste all that money on appearance crap?

And for a track bike, an exhaust/pc3 should be some of the LAST things on your list.

Best advice:
have your suspension set up for you, tires, brake lines and pads, and a steering damper.
those will make the bike better than adding a few extra hp ever will.
In addition to the above, I'd consider things like rearsets, case covers, track plastics, and frame sliders.

Crap like rotors, wheels, fancy suspension, exhaust, etc are nice bonuses but nowhere near what needs to be done at the beginning.

·
MITICO
437 Posts
I agree with both opinions, I know my bike will be an eventual track bike but that's well into the future after its paid off- how soon are you track bound? If you plan on getting trackdays in this summer then I def. recommend the rear sets, suspension setup, & the plastics

In regards to leathers def. Alpinestars or Daineses, top quality but definitely cheaper stuff out there for a better bargain, ask the crack track addicts

·
wat?
722 Posts
exhaust 4 sure
Do you have a reason?

An exhaust gives:
1. sound
2. power

Neither of which are remotely needed by 99% of track riders. Plus it's one more thing to replace and worry about when you crash.

Not even like you get stuck with the fugly giant can of the 03-08 R6/R6s bikes where it's a giant eyesore...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Advice noted. No one mentioned any tires though. Stock ones good enough?

Yeh, hoping to get on the track by August.

·
Registered
88 Posts
even if you don't buy the race suspension (if you don't ever ride on the track), then at least spend $20 at your local shop to get your stock suspension setup. It will not be as good as the race one, but it will be a dramatic improvement over the factory setup.

·
wat?
722 Posts
i would rather see a bike w/ race suspension and brakes w/ a stock pipe anyday.
do u really need 3hp more at redline? NO.....
Heh my buddy is smokin fast and has the same bike as you (same color even before he sold the street plastics). Ohlins front, elka rear, all sorts of other goodies... but yup stock pipe.

I always chuckle wandering the paddock seeing bikes with full exhausts, full suspensions, etc etc.... and the riders are clogging up the back of the B group grid. Spend your money wisely!

Thanks guys. Advice noted. No one mentioned any tires though. Stock ones good enough?

Yeh, hoping to get on the track by August.
Two of us did! Depending on your pace, stock tires should certainly be fine if it's your first time on track.

Only reason to really think about changing them is if you do a lot of commuting street mileage between now and then and cup the tire.

If so, a set of Diablo Corsa 3s would be a great tire to slap on, enjoy the track, and still treat you great back on the street :YEA

edit: oops he got in while I was replying

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
Do you have a reason?

An exhaust gives:
1. sound
2. power

Neither of which are remotely needed by 99% of track riders. Plus it's one more thing to replace and worry about when you crash.

Not even like you get stuck with the fugly giant can of the 03-08 R6/R6s bikes where it's a giant eyesore...
Strictly 1. Sound. Loud pipes save lives. I didn't see the part about it being a track bike, but would venture to guess there are any track bikes using stock exhausts.

I'd go for full exhaust if you're looking for performance.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
loud pipes dont save lives.....
modern cars are very well sound deadened that a loud bike is just obnoxious.
I beg to differ... Not necessarily on the "loud pipes don't save lives" part, but you CAN be heard at high RPMs w/ a pipe in a "modern" car. And that's not necessarily a bad thing...

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
loud pipes dont save lives.....
modern cars are very well sound deadened that a loud bike is just obnoxious.
oh god. It's just a saying. I was mearly saying that an exhaust makes your bike sound better.

and no i do not drive a p.o.s rice burner. My supercharger whine is far louder than my pipes.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
im just saying when im in my truck listening to music, i really cant hear much outside.
and people driving around yakin on their cell phones arent listening to bikes.

u have to be seen to be safe, being heard has very little to do w/ it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
dampner!!!!!!! awesome gear, suspension, and then tires (I heard 2ct's are awesome, they are gonna be my next)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts