Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The brakes! Duh. :hammer

But yeah. My "oh shit" moment is usually while / or just after turning the bike, when I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near the apex, or that the outside edge of the track is approaching much faster than I expected, and I'm gonna have to wait longer than I'd like to get on the gas.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Riding a smaller bike helps with putting corner speed especially entry speed into perspective.
Yep, this right here. On my 250 I quickly discovered that there were a lot of corners I could be taking faster on the bigger bike.

Pretty funny when you are taking the entire straight to get up to entry speed for a sweeper, then watching the big bikes that passed you all park it before tipping in. They're on the brakes trying to get setup and you're still WFO hoping that they don't do anything stupid.

But yes, to answer the OP: that's when you just push the inside bar and lean and believe. Don't try to hang off more or let off the gas, just lean it over, look where you should be and pray. The few times I've gone off track were from me ****ing up and looking where I didn't want to go.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brakes! Duh. :hammer

But yeah. My "oh shit" moment is usually while / or just after turning the bike, when I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near the apex, or that the outside edge of the track is approaching much faster than I expected, and I'm gonna have to wait longer than I'd like to get on the gas.
The brakes :D right!

So if you were able to get the bike turned quicker and to know for certain that you could always turn the bike fast enough to make the corner (and always hit your apex), would you be more confident using a higher entry speed?

How do you turn the bike quickly?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
It's not just with you, but why does it seem like the Keith Code school always teaches in the form of questions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
A deer... seriously, it's no joke in the Mid West.

But honestly, I worked on braking all last season which was mainly a suspension gimmick for me. Only time I had an "issue" with it was over-shooting Turn 7 at Blackhawk Farms. It wasn't by much, but enough where I was braking so hard the rear was straight off the ground and I couldn't hit my turn-in, over shot my entry, went in to grass, grass said "NO": crash.

I found properly setting up my suspension and then over filling my forks 40-50 mL helped keep the front from excessively diving and led to much greater stability and higher entry speeds under braking. Last time I was out I was within 5 seconds of the record lap times; made a huge difference in my game. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm a believer that brakes are what make you fast.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
It's called the Socratic Method and I find it to be the most effective way to inspiring critical thinking in students.
Not the most effective in inspiring grammatical accuracy. :poke

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Do you think you crash more often than you should? If you crash, have you tried not crashing?

[/worst guidance ever]

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The brakes :D right!

So if you were able to get the bike turned quicker and to know for certain that you could always turn the bike fast enough to make the corner (and always hit your apex), would you be more confident using a higher entry speed?

How do you turn the bike quickly?
For the first question - it's more a question of figuring how hard I need to turn the bike for how much I just tried to raise my corner speed. I may already know it's possible to turn the bike harder - but didn't realize just how hard I needed to turn it for the current speed.

Very rarely, I'll turn it too hard, and run over a little of the inside curbing, or have to stand the bike up a little.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Do you think you crash more often than you should? If you crash, have you tried not crashing?

[/worst guidance ever]
I raughed out roud:lmao

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't look through the freaking turn! Coming from a straight I look at the apex and brake nicely, but I'm fixated on it instead shifting my sight to the exit as I enter the turn.

As a result I suck at slow turns. I enter nicely, but scrub too much speed, coast through the apex and roll on too late.

Having another rider who is exiting the turn as I enter it helps a lot.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
If you crash, have you tried not crashing?

[/worst guidance ever]
I have been laughing at this all day. That's totally something I would say to be a dick.

I don't look through the freaking turn! Coming from a straight I look at the apex and brake nicely, but I'm fixated on it instead shifting my sight to the exit as I enter the turn.

As a result I suck at slow turns. I enter nicely, but scrub too much speed, coast through the apex and roll on too late.

You need to add the 3rd step to your 2-step.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts

Have you tried looking through the turn?

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
But seriously, it sounds like your only problem is not looking far enough through the turn. The reason the rider in front of you helps is because he's just moving your focus point further down the track.

You go where you look, and you should be looking at your exit point as soon as you turn the bike in as you head toward the apex. Obviously not every single turn is the same (decreasing radius comes to mind), but this works for the majority of the turns you will encounter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts