Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ummm yeah, went and bought an r6 today. I wanted the raven but the dealership had no more :( so I had to settle for red. I had a buddy drive it home because I haven't ridden one before.

I got home later tonight and jumped on it and attempted to ride it. Let's just say I got about 10ft and got scared. Safety Course for me!!!! :mrgreen:

The thing scares the sh*t out of me, but here's a pic....

I won't ride the thing till I learn on another bike. Needless to say I'm having second thoughts, but I figure once I get used to it I'll love it.

Anyways that's it, just wanted to introduce myself :roll:

·
Registered
281 Posts
well man, i can't say you did the smartest thing but many of us have started out like you. the key is to live through the beginning stages :poke naw thats good you had your buddy drive it home if you weren't comfy doin it yourself. that means you know your limits. always remember that...KNOW YOUR LIMITS!! great idea taking the course, it will help you a ton. but dude, you've got a hell of a machine now that you need to respect but its so damned fun when you get the hang of it :hammer i'm happy for you. stick around the forum, there is lots you can learn here and there are tons of people who know tons of stuff. just take it all little by little or you could find yourself dead.

welcome to the forum and welcome to the finest family of 600's out there :cheers

·
Registered
283 Posts
why don't u learn on that shity gsxr !!!!......j/k

i can't beleave u put that gsxr in the same pic as the R6...

·
Registered
51 Posts
the dealership lied too you, they just wanted to get rid of the red one, next time shop around, u can stillorder raven ones man.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
hey got_no_sol,
man, i live like five minutes from you. when you take the course will you post the info for me, im interested in taking it as well. thanks

·
FL45HM3
955 Posts
Congrats on the new 6 no matter what damn color it is. I have an '04 Red and wouldn't have it any other way since there are so many blue ones around here. That raven is nice though.

As far as the class.... I recommend it. I took my class 2 years before I got my bike and even with atv experience from the past, it really helps a lot to get accustomed to riding a bike. Although I'll admit... riding it home last June was a little scary because I hadn't ridden in about 2 years... and then the first turn I had to do was a damn U-Turn. :hammer

·
Registered
347 Posts
same thing for me, even after the course i was scare it's normal and you will get over it. before you know it, you want a r1

oh, and hi :cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I guess it's safe to say you don't have motorcycle license either right? That's like going out and buying a car without drivers license :poke
You are doing the right thing by not riding and taking the course. In the mean time why don't you find a safe place like an empty parking lot or something and have your friend teach you the basics. At least get familure with your bike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! The red one is the fastest! :laugh Definitely sign up for the msf ASAP. it fills up really fast and you don't want to end up like me...I had to drive to Tacoma! My hubby bought me my bike last August. I had never riden one before, but great friends who are good riders make for safe learning. take it easy and stay away from long gravel driveways for a while! for the class, go to: dol.wa.gov/ds/wmsp.htm (with www in front) and you will find all the links to the class schedules and fees. Good luck!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Not to flame you, but TAKE A F-ING MOTORCYCLE CLASS! I just want safety for our fellow bikers, that's all. Welcome to the forums :mrgreen: .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thanks for the warm welcome. I can't say I was expecting this many people to post lol.

Just looking around seems there is a ton of good info here, and I'm certainly no newbie to internet forums so that helps :roll:

Need to find that cycle class though, the one I looked at is booked till april!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah got_no_sol, im on the same boat as you. I just picked mine up yesterday (raven) and tried to ride it (key word is TRIED) and i scared the living shit out of myself. but im going to take the msf course as well. THat seems to be the best thing to do, as well as practicing in a parking lot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for posting that dol web site btw, that helps a lot.

I haven't found any sites that have an opening before april though :comp

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
Congrats on the purchase man. You've got one hell of a machine now, so respect it. Once you learn, you will realize that the bike will go where you make it go. Def. sign up for the MSF course and practice in open parking lots. Just learn at your own pace, and before you know it, you'll be havin the time of your life.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah going to a parking lot soon with a friend to practice.

The msf course is kind of a must - I heard the "riding test" was really hard, oh and btw anyone have a link to a "practice test/cheat sheet" for the WA state written test? I still need to get my permit....

·
Registered
373 Posts
There's a little booklet underneath the passenger seat on your bike called "You and Your Motorcycle: Riding Tips Motorcycle Skill Test Practice Guide". I suggest you read it. And forget about a "practice test/cheat sheet", LEARN the material, don't just memorize what is needed to pass the written test. You will be much better off if you actually UNDERSTAND how your motorcycle operates and how to safely ride in traffic. Also, I suggest picking up a book called "Total Control" at your local bookstore (they can order it if it's not in stock). Total Control will help you understand riding even better than the book that came with the bike. However, I suggest starting with the Riding Tips booklet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts