Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding yesterday and I almost took my first spill. I was entering a friend's neighborhood, and there was a bunch of sand/loose gravel at the bottom of their street. I turned onto it, not even leaning really but just making a slow/upright turn, and the bike started to wobble and almost slid out from under me. Still not sure how I gained composure and didn't fall over, but it was only ~15 mph. Is there any technique for what to do in this case, or just pray for the best? I imagine at 50 mph, the results might have been a little different..

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,946 Posts
In all honestly it's all situational. In most cases, you just pray for the best. Be careful going into every corner and try to stay away from the edges. I've almost lost it mod corner from dirt a couple times post-rain. I let off the throttle and did my best to straighten up without braking and it worked. To tell you the truth, every time i've almost taken a spill (discounting the one time I actually did), I don't really know what I did, my body just went into autopilot.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
All depends on the situation. Try to keep it up right and no sudden jerks of throttle clutch or brake. Or get a dirtbike and learn how to ride with ads end sliding all around

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,946 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
or motard. :D

Please explain backing it in. you brake before the apex so its not sliding bc throttle, and the back tire is still spinning and not hopping. So what the hell causes it? thats always confused me

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,619 Posts
Pucker up buttercup. Turn into the slide and don't do any sudden throttle changes. if you've ever ridden a dirt bike with reckless abandon this will be instinctive. :sing

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,946 Posts
pshhh... that's crashing. with style. :laugh
:lmao hey most of them kept it up kinda. I'd be shitting my pants all through those corners

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts

·
Insert nonsense here
5,093 Posts
Honestly from my experience...the best thing to do is nothing. If you are going slow enough you can throw a leg out or whatever makes you feel better, but at speed it is best to stay the course and act like it's not even there if it is unavoidable. You will usually coast right through it. The back or front will most likely slide a little but will usually gain traction back without you doing anything once you get through the patch. If it is a loooong patch of sand or gravel you have to overcome your instinct to grab the front brake. Sit upright and use the rear brake.

Riding dirt or motard will gain you all kind of confidence in the loss of control of your bike.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Oh and dont target fixate or even if you ride it out you'll still nail the tree you were staring at

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
slow speed turns like 5mph, I would think you can see the gravel & avoid or ride over it as up right as possible. I normally just let the bike take me over gravel or sand in a slow speed turn in 1st gear no throttle at all. Any lean with inconstant throttle can lead to a crash or a damn near fall.

Gravel on the road while into a turn the only option is going with the bike IMO don't accelerate don't chop the throttle maintain current speed.

odds are I could be wrong. So watch this and it will explain far better than I can.

·
My Bonneville eats me.
1,031 Posts
Why did you scamper, almost deer like, after the wreck?

Overall not too bad... Several things were done wrong upon entering that turn, but I'm sure you know that now...
Not sure, adrenaline was pumping. I'm thinking I probably wanted to pick up the bike as soon as possible for some odd reason. And what was done wrong? I let off the brake as soon as I went in, and picked my line. Unfortunately midway through the turn, my line was filled with gravel which I didn't see.

Once the front started washing I tried to put my foot down to keep the bike stable but was unable to keep it up.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
You should complete all braking before entering a turn... If you watch you've already begun your turn and brake relatively hard, upsetting the suspension and stability right as you begin to reach the gravel on the road. You should be scanning through your turn as far as you can see, had you done that you would have seen, and been able to avoid the gravel. Lastly, when street riding, you have to know there will be road hazards, such as gravel. Taking a line that is almost touching the white/shoulder is never a good idea, especially when you notice the shoulder is all gravel. Had you seen the gravel, and chose a better line, and finished your braking before turn in this could have all been avoided...

In the end, you learned from it. The bike can be rebuilt, and you are completely fine. So just consider it a learning experience.

Every day we're out on our bikes, whether it be street or track, we are learning and sharpening our skills as riders. Even the pro's like Stoner, Rossi, Spies are always getting better. You never reach a point where you can't learn, or get better at riding... There is always room to learn more and perfect riding!

Glad you're alright bud! :cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts