Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the topic states, what suggestions do you guys have on ways to keep wheel hop to a minimum when downshifting? I know there is bliping the throttle, but from some articles I have read and books, they suggest that you should no longer use this medthod. Especially with bikes equipped with slipper clutches. So any ideas?

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
If your rear wheel is hopping let the clutch out a little slower with a little blip of the throttle.

Even with a slipper clutch you can't always just dump the clutch in every situation. Some corners on the race track you may be leaned over while dropping a few gears and even with the slipper clutch you have to be smooth.

·
***** SHOES
312 Posts
Drop deuce gears through a hot corner, 'shift lock' get your wheel out sideways and drift itt... pussy ;)

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
Crank on the brakes and get the rear tire completly off the ground. J/K...

Being smooth is the only way to minimize it. If you don't have a slipper clutch it will be challenging but can be done with some finesse. Those with slipper clutches that are still a little tight will also face a challange. The books that say that dumping the clutch is the way to go are probably assuming that you have a good slipper clutch. I usually don't worry about it to much if the thing starts bouncing as long as it is doing it while i'm still upright. going into turns I just grit my teeth and hope it's stops bouncing before i'm dedicated to my line. usually not a problem though.

·
Prepare to Be Boarded yar
105 Posts
training wheels like they have on the bikes at that sick drifting school i saw i want to do that real bad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dont use the rear brake if its the rear wheel hopping.
takes some getting used to as your brain says brake with both. You can brake quite deep into bends.
Try and stay smooth.
late braking and hard braking will slow you down.
I do some circuits and often practice riding round slower without using any brakes then build up

·
Hey Guy
5,294 Posts
If you're slowing down that much, its not a bad idea to back it into the turn. Not trying to be a show off, but that's what i usually do. If im only dropping one gear, i downshift without the clutch. If i have to pull in the clutch, i back it in.

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
On track i never use the rear brake, unless its over the mountain to steady the bike, wheel hopping is caused by clutch control, watch Rossi when they go on his cluth hand, how smooth he is.

If you dont belive me, going into the turn slow, pull the clutch in all the way then get on the rear brake, does it hop??
I didnt think so, or i could be wrong and you have crashed :dunce: :lmao

More time can be made on the mid and exit of turns than doing the last of the late breakers moves.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I would hesitate to take lessons from someone that said you shouldn't use the blip the throttle methond anymore.
for one, it's easier on the clutch and transmission.
after you get used to doing it, you should be able to do it without even feeling the downshift.

·
Registered
42 Posts
John a UK rider. Yeah, using the brake on the mountain at Cadders is in the head. i suppose it depends on how quick you are and how confident. I use it there.
Anywhere else, you should be on the engine or a slight dab if you need to pick the bike up mid turn.
You dont need to use it, just because you are.
depends on how fast you run.
I see guys on fast bikes in fast on track days on their ZCBGSRxRRRRR1000's fly past me on the straight and then I nearly run in the back of them on my bike which is just a 400. These guys are just throttle jockeys. Fast riders will leave me for dead on faster bikes because they hold corner speed. Ok on the brakes if its a RACE pass but on track days you dont want to be blocking anyone.
Just try it or try something like CSBS. They will reall show you about braking or lack of it

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
John a UK rider. Yeah, using the brake on the mountain at Cadders is in the head. i suppose it depends on how quick you are and how confident. I use it there.
Anywhere else, you should be on the engine or a slight dab if you need to pick the bike up mid turn.
You dont need to use it, just because you are.
depends on how fast you run.
I see guys on fast bikes in fast on track days on their ZCBGSRxRRRRR1000's fly past me on the straight and then I nearly run in the back of them on my bike which is just a 400. These guys are just throttle jockeys. Fast riders will leave me for dead on faster bikes because they hold corner speed. Ok on the brakes if its a RACE pass but on track days you dont want to be blocking anyone.
Just try it or try something like CSBS. They will reall show you about braking or lack of it
I was in the R6 cup first year it ran.
Currantly in a 600 club type class on a R6.

Another place i use the rear brake to steady the bike, the back straight at donnington as you go under the dunlop bridge, stops it shaking about.

Im at cadwell on the 15th feb if you want, £59 for the day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
love to but have a frame on my leg until February Some great deals about atm.
I did ride a few times last year with it snapped at Rockingham before it had any support but I was in agony by the time the last session was on and would have to miss it. It would leave me more aless bedbound the next day. lol
I may be away to Vals in France in march. £280 for 5 days at the best circuit I have been on.
Not keen on Donny since highsiding my 400 at Goddards. lol

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
If you blip the throttle correctly, downshifting is seamless. There is no reason not to do this, because once you're good at it downshifting can be done as quickly as necessary. I even let the clutch back out between each downshift without any issue. Just practice it and you'll eliminate wheel hopping.

·
KneeDragger#555
110 Posts
well it depends if your talking street riding then your riding like a idiot, on the track the only way i found that really helped without touching the clutch is tapping the rear brake and i use this technique on a regular basis when im banging down 4 gears and throw it into a turn or pretty much any turn but im also on a slipper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd rather drift on power, not on the brakes. Ok Nicky Hayden does but hes got twice the power of my R6.
In reality, I will go faster with the wheels in a straight line.
Had too many near misses when the tyres have let go and a couple of biggies and trust me, it hurts, even with the best kit on from a highside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts