Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys I decided on what sprockets and chain to buy, but I'm confused about what i'll need to take my chain off and put a new one on. I keep reading different stuff, like chain breakers, rivet tools etc. But then I watch a video where a guy hits the master link with a hammer and screwdriver and it pops right off. What will I need for a 520 EK chain?

If all I needed besides the common sense stuff like sockets/ratchet was this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Chain-..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item460f40c1b7&vxp=mtr

Then I'd be fine. But I don't really wanna buy that rivet/press set for almost 100 dollars.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
i would pay someone to do that or get a friend who knows what they're doing to show you the first time because if it's not done just right, it could end in catastrophic failure. but, that's just me...

s3aturnr

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
I went with moto mummy chain kit and bought the cheapest chain tool he sells and it worked fantastic. The brand of tool was made by driven. Great quality and beefy tool. the ONLY bitch that i can possibly think of is wear a a street bike or mechanic glove because its tough to hold onto while you're twisting it trying to seat the link and or drive out the pins. Take your time and go slow. Don't crush the O rings, but you need to make sure its pressed on all the way. Sport bike track gear has a great video on riveting a master link. I just cut the old chain off with a dremel cut off wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm alright thanks guys. You're probably right S3aturn I think i'll find a local shop and have them put on my kit to avoid any major screw ups. That's probably the best option since it's pretty old and beat up and could use a good looking over by a pro anyways.

·
A work in progress...
13,658 Posts
Hm alright thanks guys. You're probably right S3aturn I think i'll find a local shop and have them put on my kit to avoid any major screw ups. That's probably the best option since it's pretty old and beat up and could use a good looking over by a pro anyways.
If you're going to do this, I'd see if they would let you watch so you know for next time. Half the fun is wrenching on them, so learn to do if from someone for the future. On that note, I did it by myself after reading several threads, watching YouTube videos, and reading the directions. Not a hard task.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Learn from YouTube.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I would give a local shop the sale. Installation shouldn't take more than 1hr.
Just get an idea what the parts cost.

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
I did it myself for the first time a month back and wasn't too taxing.

STG and Dave Moss provided the youtube tutorials. I bought an impact gun for the front sprocket and motion pro pbr tool. More importantly, a spare masterlink was needed as I foolishly damaged the first one.

All in, if you're comfortable working on the bike the chain is just another project. If you're a bit timid than the shop is always the easy solution.

·
Registered
287 Posts
yeah look for the STG video on replacing a chain.

I have 3, yes 3 RK chain tools and all 3 have broken pins. this is quite common. the tool he uses in the video is a lot more sturdy, and can be bought from princess auto for $30, but youll still need a tool to press the master link together and rivet it.

since youre just replacing the chain, just cut it off with a grinder if you can find one, and get a chain tool online somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts