Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im Robby. Im 18 and live in Reno NV. I am buying a bike within the next couple of weeks and I need your opinion.

spark notes: i know its a r6 site but I want opinions from those who have ridden both. gsxr600 and r6 for a new bike.

Alright so I am coming up on being able to buy a bike within the next couple of weeks.

I have been riding dirtbikes, quads, snowmobiles all that junk since I was a little kid so I don't lack the experience to ride. Yes I know its way different and on those things you dont have to worry about large metal objects flying around you at high speeds. I am only 18, but I am also an 18 year old who owned an Evo (i paid for it) with no speeding tickets or accidents or even a close call. Growing up around motorsports has taught me to respect the machine cause it can screw you faster than a 5$ hooker, so no offense but please save the comments on my bike choices.

I have narrowed it down to 2 choices, both 08s. my choices are either the R6 or the gixxer 600.

I know its a r6 site, but I just want honest opinions. I know that there are people on here haven't only ridden yamahas.

What are your honest opinions on the two bikes. To be completely honest I like the gsxr a little bit more comfort wise because Im completely flat footed on it, however on the r6 this can be fixed for me by just shaving the seat, but in riding position I am more comfortable on the r6 which I would think is more important. The color gixxer 600 i would get the white, r6 i would get the silver.

Sorry for the long rant/post but i wanted to avoid the "its too much bike" comments.

Thanks guys, hopefully I will be a fellow riding brother soon. :cheers

·
where da shrooms at?
2,708 Posts
if i were you, id go out and buy the new 2008 gsx-r 750. not the 600. and if you dont want a 750, then go for the 2008 yamaha. i like the new look of the gsxr much better then the new yamaha. yamaha needs to get smacked for taking the projectors off the bike. the 2008 suzuki is a much better looking bike in my opinion. its also a better street bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pretty much what it comes down to is which looks better to you, and which is more comfortable. Now, that would be different if you were planning on tracking it out. The next bike I buy will be a dedicated track bike, and it'll either be the '08 R6, or the GSXR 750.

·
Registered
379 Posts
obviously i vote R6, but to give you an HONEST opinion. I say go for whatever you think looks the best and feels the best riding, performance wise, most 600 are practically identical. You are correct, the R6 sits VERY high (tallest of all 600) but that is not that big of a problem. I ride an 07 and I haven't shaved the seat or anything becuase, truthfully, how often do you put both feet down? I ALWAYS keep my letf foot on the pegs, and have my right down, jsut lean the bike a little. Its kinda strange to put both feet down on a street bike. but honeslty, they are both great bikes. i just like yamaha more. haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally love the look of the new R6. The silver to me is gorgeous. While in the riding position I prefer the r6 but while just chillin I prefer the gsxr. Since I plan on doing more riding than chillin I guess the r6 would be the way to go.
Does the R6 come with a steering damper like the gsxr. I am pretty sure they both have slipper clutches too though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No the R6 does not coem with a damper (dont know why, only one now that doesnt) but you really shouldnt need it unless your on the track a lot. I do track a lot, and to be honest, at abotu 12+, the front does shake, but she holds her line fine. I have yet to fork over the cash for one. If your chilling, you really shoudnt need it. and yes they both have slippers now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.