Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make this quick. Im deciding between the R1 and R6. Ive ridden both and love the torque of the R1. I ride along with my gf on the back and want the torque in case I need to get out of a bad spot. However I dont really want all the extra power the r1 has...so heres my question(s).

With sprockets, can the R6 be made to have lots of low torque such as a -1 +2? (Arent the reliability of the sprockets crap?) Would you go with the R1 or R6? I mostly just cruise and not too many track days. (Although Id love more)

Thanks for your help guys.

Matt

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Things to think about, and be serious...

With what you have stated...R6 all the way. It has PLENTY of power for two-up, the sprocket change will give you MORE than enough low end torque, and trust me, you will never ride beyond the bike potential "just out cruising"

Unless you want to pay for more bike, and pay more insurance...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
if i had the dough i'd get an r1 especially having the girly on the back alot
i know i got in a bad spot not to long ago and i couldn't drop enough gears to get out of there felt like i was a sitting duck 110lbs really drags down a R6

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i had the dough i'd get an r1 especially having the girly on the back alot
i know i got in a bad spot not to long ago and i couldn't drop enough gears to get out of there felt like i was a sitting duck 110lbs really drags down a R6
yea ive been in a situation like that...I downshifted but I was still in a too high of a gear.

Thanks for both of your responses. Any more thoughts?

·
My R6 eats terrorists
221 Posts
I'd go with the 6. For one thing, they cost less in initial expense, insurance, and general maintainence. With a sprocket conversion (which are NOT crap by the way...some of them are better than the stock stuff) you'll definently have plenty of low end torque (like yoda said). If the only thing you're concerned about is being able to shoot through a rough spot, 1) you wont get those very often if you're constantly aware of whats going on around you and try to always think about "what if this person cuts me off, where am i gonna go?". I ride with my girl all the time with stock sprockets and have never had a problem getting out of tight spots (our combined weight is about 300 lbs).

For what you want it for, I think you're better suited for the 6. Keep in mind though, even though the 06-08's look siiiiick, they are designed more for high rpm power. If you're looking for more low end torque, the 03-05 have better low end than 06-08. Happy shopping!

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
yea ive been in a situation like that...I downshifted but I was still in a too high of a gear.

Thanks for both of your responses. Any more thoughts?
Learn to downshift faster...
IMO, the R6 has more than enough power for 2, I ride with my fiancé all the time. Besides the fact that I'm usually more careful 2up, I've never been in a situation that the BIKE couldn't handle, usually the short coming is my fault.

Seriously, practice bleeding speed fast and dropping gears (reloading each) fast. With 2, you'll need to do it even faster.

Lastly, if you can't ride 2up on a R6 safely, then you might be in for trouble on an R1, because if there is a problem, the rider will more than likely be the weakest link, IMO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd go with the 6. For one thing, they cost less in initial expense, insurance, and general maintainence. With a sprocket conversion (which are NOT crap by the way...some of them are better than the stock stuff) you'll definently have plenty of low end torque (like yoda said). If the only thing you're concerned about is being able to shoot through a rough spot, 1) you wont get those very often if you're constantly aware of whats going on around you and try to always think about "what if this person cuts me off, where am i gonna go?". I ride with my girl all the time with stock sprockets and have never had a problem getting out of tight spots (our combined weight is about 300 lbs).

For what you want it for, I think you're better suited for the 6. Keep in mind though, even though the 06-08's look siiiiick, they are designed more for high rpm power. If you're looking for more low end torque, the 03-05 have better low end than 06-08. Happy shopping!
Thanks again for the responses, Im by no means the best rider in the world so I know I could learn to downshift faster etc.

Would the 06+R6's feel as though they had the same amount of torque as the 03-05 with the smaller sprockets?

·
My R6 eats terrorists
221 Posts
Thanks again for the responses, Im by no means the best rider in the world so I know I could learn to downshift faster etc.

Would the 06+R6's feel as though they had the same amount of torque as the 03-05 with the smaller sprockets?
I cant answer that because I havent been on an 06-08. The only way to know for sure is if someone has been on an 06-08 with sprocket conversion vs. an 03-05. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?...

I just know that put the two stock bikes side by side, the 03-05 is gonna have a little more pull off the line, then once they hit around 10k, the 06-08 will pull out in front. The 3rd gens are just made for better performance from the higher rpms (i.e. racing).

If I had a guess, I'd say the 06-08 R6 with sprocket conversion would be faster off the line than a stock 03-05. But put the sprocket on the 03-05 and its faster yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
just decided ide throw a joke in... get the 6, want some quick get away get up n go? heh nx-nitrous sells 50 shot, lol flick the switch and i dont care what gear you are in, YOUR OUT
hahaha just decided to brighten the thread with my great sense of humor...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.