Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on buying a 99 or newer r6 in the near future I was just considering what bike would be a good competitor in the 600cc class... I was watchin Biker Boyz (yea i know) the other day and they had maybe 90% gixxers... how do they compare against an R6? I like how the gixxer has that little add on that makes the rear look like a bubble and takes away the passenger seat but I would rather have an R6... just wondering what the comp. is...

Also does anyone know how fast a 99 r6 would be? Stacked up against a 99... ______

1/4 mile times

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
where to start with this one....

1. Glad to see that you can see how much :bsflag is in those movies...
2. '99 was the 1st year for the R6 so I do not know how they faired on the first try out.
3. The bubble is a seat cowl, and they are made for most street bikes.

1/4 mile times are quite fast.... somewhere in the 10's I think.... not sure.

:worship

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I am new to bikes and all just taken some motorcycle classes and plan on buying one next year some time in the summer... I thought the R6 was made before 99 as well?? Guess I was wrong... I wanna keep it not to late because of insurance... what is insurance like for you guys?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the 04 is that fast but does the 99 stay close to that? Im not trying to kill myself but I dont want to have a bike behind the other 600's... have any of you been time for the 1/4 with some mods?

G

·
Zerogeer6 has a friend that has a older on i think it is a 99. It has a exhaust, different sprocket, jetted, and is lowered and he says it is fast as hell.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
if your worried about being behind other 600's then you might be headed to become a statistic..

I have a friend who ride his 88 katana 600 so much faster then I can ride my R6. His bike is soo much slower then my R6 it not funny, I've rode it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm sure Sportrider.com or whatever will amuse you with the different specs and whatnot of the different generation 600s and 1000s for the time being...
On stock bikes.. unless you're on the track, there is not much of a bloody difference between same class bikes.....

Buddy you're dragracing in lane 1 might have more traction than you in the gutter lane from all the street debris , dust and junk as well as all the kids who spit while walking on the sidewalk :hammer , thus , resulting in a much faster bike than yours leaving you 0WN3D and in the dust... :hammer

Honestly, you should not be worried about the specs or speeds, because there are so many factors... rider weight, rider ability/reaction, etc etc etc..

You should perhaps learn to love to ride before you learn to love the bikes

my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a '99. it's got a jet kit, k&n, and a full yoshi system. i'm by no means a pro-rider or anything like that but i can tell you it's fast enough. my buddy rides a 99 R1 (for sale if anyone interested), in the first three gears i pull away from him. once agian it has to do with the rider and how comfortable you are with twisting the throttle. good lucka nd be careful with whatever you get. BTW did anyone notice th R6 in Torque? :poke

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
drooder has it right, learn to love the ride before you love the bike. for one thing all the 600cc bikes are so closely matched, unless you area skilled rider, like say ROSSI, you wont even be able to tell the differences between the bikes. 99-04 R6, all of em are great, each has its problems just like evry bike ever made. it just really come down to how much your willing to spend and which you think looks better :cheers

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I am not planning on racing it or getting it up anywhere near it's potential until I am very comfortable with it... I was just reading about the 04 models and everyone was referring to the 1/4 times so i was curious as to how the 99 stacks up...

I do love to ride... when i get the chance and I'm really not worried about the speed I was just curious more or less...

btw I'm 5'9" and about 180 good match up?

·
Registered
537 Posts
If your already worried about nto being able to keep up with other 600's, like stated above, sounds like your on your way to be a statistic. Dont worry about keeping up or not if this is your first bike and I have gathered this is your first. Being a first time rider chances of you putting it down are prety good, they arent forgiving when it comes to making m istakes. These bikes are fun as hell but NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE BIKE! The only 600 with an edge is the Kawasaki ZX6, its not 600cc it is 636cc and they squeeze more torque and hp out with it but it is also a little heavier. The day I picked up my bike a first time rider thought he could ride his 04 R6 home and put it down in the parking lot and damaging another customer's bike and 2 cars. The kid busted his right hand open and totaled his new R6.

BE4TNUT

Oh and I am 6' 150lbs and the 6 is a very ncie fit, in my oppinion at least.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I know ride safe be cautious learn to ride and love to ride... I was just curious Im not planning on getting anywhere in the top half of the spedo anytime soon or even later for that matter...

Aparently the 99 was the fastest right next to the 03 in the 1/4 the 99 was 10.68 and the 03 was 10.80 this was from sportrider.com but it didnt have numbes for the 04... I was just seeing if the 99 started out winpy and improved or started out crazy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts