Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad has always bought craftsman hand tools and although he's said "they aint what they used to be", i've recently followed suit. i have a weird obsession with all my tools matching and i like how easily available, replaceable, and compatible everything is. with power tools i go with dewalt, except my cordless dremel of course (which is soooo freakin' useful). what do u guys prefer?

·
Registered
140 Posts
for mechanics tools i go with craftsman. they break all the time but they have lifetime free replacements. free new tools are a good start to any day.

for power tools everything i own is black and yellow as well. and i can't break them. for bigger, more powerful tools i go with milwalkee.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yep, Craftsman is they way to go. As much as I like some of my Snap On and Proto tools, I found myself buying Craftsman tools for its value. I paid $199.99 for a 200 pieces set about 30 yrs ago and I thought it was a great buy. It is actually cheaper now but without the hand saw kits.

·
Ride Safe; Not Stupid
711 Posts
im pretty sure every major mechanic tool manufacture has a lifetime warranty now..Matco, Mac, Craftsman, Snap-On.......for being an auto mechanic....i dont have the time for tools that break constantly..so i stay away from Craftsman...Matco and Mac are my choices......but for a home where your not using them constantly Craftsman is good enough

·
Registered
62 Posts
everything i own is Taiwanese. or Harbor Freight. lol j/k i have a tool chest of nearly 4K worth of tools. Its a mix of snap on and Craftsman. when i first started buying tools i purchased craftsman b/c they were cheaper than snap on and i could purchase more for my money. but as i started to make more money i purchased snap on. snap on and S&K tools. for example one snap on ratcheting screw driver cost 100 bucks. but it saves me time when i work so its a better investment for me. Time being money.

The major difference with snap on and craftsman is not quality but size and teeth. if its wrenches, snap on wrenches are thinner, and if a tool ratchets. snap on has more teeth per turn or swing of the wrench.

But just to be fair craftsmen professional not the regular craftsman tools are fairly good these days, but the best is snap on any day of the week.

i hope this helps any new tool shopper.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
i own craftsman, damn metric sizes for yamaha:rant

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
craftsman for all my hand tools and a mix of dewalt and milwaukee for all the power tools.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Ridgid power toolds are the best. I used my 18VOLT coordless on the roof and forgot it. It was lost for 6 months. I got back up on the roof and there it was. Charged the battery and poof it still works to this day. I live in south florida, yes it did rain on it.

·
to many toys :-)
457 Posts
snap on all the way :D but im a mechanic so i like to buy things once
its also easier to have them come to you than you go to them

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My favorite brand is Matco. (nother auto tech here) But I have mostly Crap-On cause I got a free voucher through school when I graduated and got a lot of my stuff that way. But I do have a large variety mix between Snap-off, Matco, Mac, and Craftsman. Usually the stuff I know is going to be breaking, I try to use craftsman just because it's more convenient to run up to Sears to get a free replacement than to wait a week for the tool guy to come in. Craftsman are my disposable tools.... along with harbor freight- nothing like cutting up a brand new set of wrenches to make custom tools.

I have a Snap-on toolbox, but only because we didn't have a Matco tool guy when I was buying. Matco's boxes are tits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts