Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Quack quack
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

FNG to the forums stopping by to say hi. My biz mostly makes parts for Ducatis, but while we were vending at Laguna World Superbike, someone said I should make a plastic fuel tank for the R6. He says the stock tank is metal and also sticks out past the sides of the frame.

See, we make a "Track Tank" for Ducati Monsters. Our next tank was going to be for 1098 family Ducati Superbikes. He said I should make one for R6s, so I need to see what you guys think. I'm pretty dang clueless about R6s other than they're faster than my S2R. ;) What years are affected? Are there families of years with same tank that are worse?

BTW, my last "R6" was a 91 fzr600. Then I had a sucka-II which was awesomely nimble & pissed everyone off...

Thanks for your thoughts,
Chris

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The 3rd gen R6s (2006 - present) tend to hit on the side of the tank when they're crashed, rupturing the tank, and sometimes resulting in the bike burning to the ground.

See here:

Every race org that I know of requires tank 'sliders' to prevent this.

I don't own a 3rd gen, so I don't know how much of a pain the sliders are to deal with. But they're kind of ugly unless you take a lot of time or money to paint & blend them into the tank I think. Being able to just buy a different tank might be a nice option.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
The gas tank issue was fixed in 08, from what I've read it was only the 06-07's that has that issue (don't know about pre 06 or S models).

I run ETI sliders (not tested) and they are stupid simple to install and fit very well, and I didn't bother painting mine though...lol

There is another slider that a Forum vendors is selling (Chief) but basically covers the entire tank but is very snug to get one, from what I've read.

If you can find a nice price on a tank, that's an option too as these slider retail for $180+. At least the ETI's.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The gas tank issue was fixed in 08, from what I've read it was only the 06-07's that has that issue (don't know about pre 06 or S models).

I run ETI sliders (not tested) and they are stupid simple to install and fit very well, and I didn't bother painting mine though...lol

There is another slider that a Forum vendors is selling (Chief) but basically covers the entire tank but is very snug to get one, from what I've read.

If you can find a nice price on a tank, that's an option too as these slider retail for $180+. At least the ETI's.
My bad. If it's only 06/07, then there's obviously a much smaller market for it. The 08+ are the best platform for building a race bike.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Have had tank sliders on both my 07 and 09. Tested them on 07 and worked great. I would suggest laying something down on the tank though because the material scratches the tank paint

·
Motorsport Exotica
76 Posts
if you build it they will buy it…. Well at least I probably would. Tank sliders on the r6 suck and mess up your suit. I have a 08 and i said screw it. (just bought my second tank).

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
06+ in the cmra requires tank sliders.

eti is the top of the line at the moment. hit me up if you're going to be making something better. :) i'm the "parts guy" for the r6 world... rider turned retailer. :D

·
wat?
722 Posts
As mentioned, people still run tank sliders on the 08+. So if this is cost-competitive with the price of a used tank plus sliders, then I think it could be popular. Curious what the weight savings would be on an R6 (pretty decent on the Monster, per your page).

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I crashed the ETI sliders. Very little damage and it was able to be repaired for less than $15 in materials. I also run a dented up stock tank so the covers make it look very nice. :D

·
Quack quack
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rhouck,

The MTT tank weighs 8.60 pounds. The oem plastic Ducati tanks are nylon and quite thick, hence the weight savings there.

Whether we make this tank would hinge upon getting the race org's to allow it in all classes, with the intention of this being a safety mod. Thus, I'd make effort to not accidentally create an advantage.

I just checked eBay and used tanks seem around $150. New sliders *can* be as much as $150, so that'd be $300. Because we offer a lifetime replacement warranty should you be able to make our tanks leak, we probably won't go that low in pricing. But who knows... if we do a kickstarter and everyone jumps in, MSRP goes down.

And that replacement warranty includes user error, installer error, knife damage from fending off a bike-jacker, etc etc. If it leaks, you gets a new one.

Thanks,
Chris

As mentioned, people still run tank sliders on the 08+. So if this is cost-competitive with the price of a used tank plus sliders, then I think it could be popular. Curious what the weight savings would be on an R6 (pretty decent on the Monster, per your page).

·
wat?
722 Posts
Hi Rhouck,

The MTT tank weighs 8.60 pounds. The oem plastic Ducati tanks are nylon and quite thick, hence the weight savings there.

Whether we make this tank would hinge upon getting the race org's to allow it in all classes, with the intention of this being a safety mod. Thus, I'd make effort to not accidentally create an advantage.

I just checked eBay and used tanks seem around $150. New sliders *can* be as much as $150, so that'd be $300. Because we offer a lifetime replacement warranty should you be able to make our tanks leak, we probably won't go that low in pricing. But who knows... if we do a kickstarter and everyone jumps in, MSRP goes down.

And that replacement warranty includes user error, installer error, knife damage from fending off a bike-jacker, etc etc. If it leaks, you gets a new one.

Thanks,
Chris
FYI $150 is probably the bottom end for tanks, and going to be dented. Undamaged (but used) tanks seem to be more in the $200-250 range.

To clarify, when you say "lifetime replacement warranty should you be able to make our tanks leak", is that including crash damage?

·
wat?
722 Posts
Rhouck: Yes. That agrees with our philosophy for the other tanks we make.

Thanks,
Chris
:cheers Sounds like it could be a winner for track guys. Especially since you're already on top of making sure it'd be SS legal for racing.

If you get a prototype together by the winter, should bring it out to Chuckwalla for CVMA races to show off...

·
Quack quack
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anyone interested, I started a thread on the WERA forum.

Now we need contact with and/or approval from all the racing organizations we can think of to make this project a go. Your help is welcome, so please spread the word.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I think this is a killer idea. I would rather have an aftermarket plastic tank than deal with the potential for fire, sliders, dented tanks, buying new ones on eBay and all that junk.

Tank sliders on the r6 suck and mess up your suit.
Yeah, that happened to me too. The edge of the ETI sliders, near the seat, wore a hole in the crotch of my suit.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I hate to say it, but the CBR's have the right idea with a plastic tank cover. I 3D print some small tank sliders for the edges but it's not going to full protect the tank, just help prevent a rupture. A cover similar to the Ducati ones would be a great idea if it's durable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts