Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a leather Icon Accelerant jacket with armor. The thing is I keep reading posts saying that Icon sucks. What is the actual reason? I really love how the jacket fits and looks but I am thinking twice about it now.

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
Icon seems to be seen as kinda squidly products. Not sure why... Just an observation. In the end, how it holds up to a fall is what matters... Ive just used products Ive seen handle a beating and take it. AStar jackets, Spidi, etc. Never bought Icon so I have not personally tested their stuff... Only the posts I see around several forums to go off of.

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
if you like it an feel safe in it, you'll be good. Icon isn't a terrible company, so don't let everything scare you. there are just better companies with a longer proven history of protecting riders. I personally am A* all day, everyday.

52,014 Posts
Original Icon used to have a disclaimer label saying that it wasn't meant for motorcycle use... :dunce:

I'm sure they're better now, but that's not saying much, is it?

I'm sure it will protect you in a crash (at least to a reasonable extent), but given the choice, I think money is better spent on other brands such as Dainese, RS Taichi, and Alpinestars...

·
I'm on a boat
809 Posts
I think Icon gets a bad rap for two reasons:
1. What Max already said, their original disclaimer about actually riding in it;
2. The fact that their style is kind of like... Ed Hardy-ish.

Seems like it's primary target for some of their "flashier" stuff is dbags and the jerseyshore. Mainly posers and wannabe's seem to get it.

Now that being said, they do seem to have a lot of toned down, more normal style things as well, and most stealerships seem to carry primarily Icon, so no knock against you if you own it. Just sayin.

In terms of quality, seems decent enough, but I've no real experience hearing about it with crashes.

·
I'd Flip it :popcorn:
16,747 Posts
I look at Icon as street bling, If I only rode at 30 MPH I would have Icon It will be just fine, But at HWY speeds I see that stuff come apart

I was on a ride this past weekend, we had a guy crash and he had on ALL Icon gear, Pants Boots Gloves Jacket Helmet, THey say he was going 60-65 when he went down Highway Patrol said 67mph, Went into a turn and stopped leaning and went down, all the "Armor" did not help him, His Helmet strap Broke and all the padding came apart, The "Back protector" that the jacket had did nothing, He is now paralyzed from the waist down

I Have seen a bunch of guys go down at the track with Icon on and they did not fair so well

That is my .02

·
deez nutz
1,558 Posts
im sure ICON is better than T-shirt and jeans..I had a ICON jacket before, then i heard about how its kinda cheesy stuff...kinda like APC accessories for hondas

Alpinestars is all i wear, not only does it look good, but it has a great reputation and protection.

52,014 Posts
I think Icon gets a bad rap for two reasons:
1. What Max already said, their original disclaimer about actually riding in it;
2. The fact that their style is kind of like... Ed Hardy-ish.

Seems like it's primary target for some of their "flashier" stuff is dbags and the jerseyshore. Mainly posers and wannabe's seem to get it.

Now that being said, they do seem to have a lot of toned down, more normal style things as well, and most stealerships seem to carry primarily Icon, so no knock against you if you own it. Just sayin.

In terms of quality, seems decent enough, but I've no real experience hearing about it with crashes.
:werd
Aside from trying to jump on the bandwagon and sell something popular, there are a couple of reasons so many dealerships carry it. Very high profit margin for one. It's also a Parts Unlimited brand (largest distributor in the world) and their reps tend to push it on dealerships very hard.

If it was the only gear I had, of course I'd wear it... but it seems pretty apparent that function follows form with Icon.

·
winter ruins my year
51 Posts
My helmet is an Icon Airframe (matte black, no bling for me). Fits great, it's not heavy and wind noise is minimal. I like it. It passes all the same tests every other DOT and Snell approved buckets do. Everything else I have is Teknic and A*.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
to me the difference is quality...

try on a Dainese jacket and you will instantly feel the quality between the two...

Even when I tried on an A* MX-1 jacket and then put on a Dainese I was sold... Dainese FTW!

·
DARC Racing
2,338 Posts
Side bar: I crashed my Spidi suit 7 times, twice more than 100 mph and its still going... Ugly but never tore ! Never had a Spidi jacket yet, but with that kind of proven quality something to consider.

·
I'm on a boat
809 Posts
Kind of OT... but what do you guys know about Joe Rocket? I've got a Joe Rocket jacket, because it was the only thing I could get my hands on at any dealerships/stores in the area (aside from a stealership with $800 dainese leather jackets). I had heard it's decent enough, middle of the road type gear.
My helmet is an Icon Airframe (matte black, no bling for me). Fits great, it's not heavy and wind noise is minimal. I like it. It passes all the same tests every other DOT and Snell approved buckets do. Everything else I have is Teknic and A*.
Being DOT rated doesn't mean a whole lot. A Bicycle helmet can be DOT approved, but that doesn't mean I'd wear it on a motorcycle. Snell means a bit more, but still isn't the end-all be-all.
BlueDevilD said:
Side bar: I crashed my Spidi suit 7 times
Jesus you've crashed 7 times?

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
I went down in the Icon Hero leather jacket at aroudn 50ish. I hit on the left shoulder and slid I guess (dont remember everything). The jacket held up pretty well, a little bit of the leather was shaved away and the helmet was toast. Icon Mainframe Subhuman. The visor immediately broke off the plate and evidently I slid face first in the ground as the chin area is shredded to the fiberglass core. I hit my head in the left mid-temple and it cracked. I think if I had a better helmet I would't have had brusiing in my brain.

After the wreck I got my old Shift leather jacket back out and a nice Shoei RF-1000. I wouldn't go with anything less than Arai or Shoei in helmets and would definitely go for something more than Icon in the gear department. A* fits great.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I've got a few Icon products and I like them ... more street-riding wear than hardcore track gear. A hell of a lot better than jeans and a tshirt, so it is what it is. It's not made poorly, but maybe gives up a little protection to increase comfort.

My 2 cents. Their helmets seem good and priced well.

-D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wear an icon jacket.

I wear it because it is the best fitting jacket i could find, it has full armor, leather and so on. I may change it if I get a suit, but for now, i guess it's fine.

Oh and, it's a GSXR branded jacket - flame on. :popcorn:

·
RIDE, SURF, L )VE
12,698 Posts
I wear an icon jacket.

I wear it because it is the best fitting jacket i could find, it has full armor, leather and so on. I may change it if I get a suit, but for now, i guess it's fine.

Oh and, it's a GSXR branded jacket - flame on. :popcorn:
not necessary, the pure shame of wearing such a jacket is justice itself

·
vroom on a yamaha
551 Posts
i have a icon and hjc helmet. both ehh brands compared to agv,arai,shoei. but the icon feels safer than the hjc. i had never heard of the strap breaking on a icon but i have heard it several times of hjc. either way i guess i'll just have to deal with what i have and hope i dont go down until i get $600 dollars for a corsair :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts